I was wondering if anybody knew the relation to exercise and height.

I've researched the topic a little but am still confused.

I was inquiring of a method to increase height, or if that's even possible.

I'm male and just turned 21.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 9th, 2004
Experienced User
To my knowledge there is no connection. Height is based on genetics, your body's production of growth hormones and proper nutrition (malnurished children can have stunted growth). Some types of exercises may claim to make you taller, but all they really do is strengthen your back or stretch your back giving you better posture and thus you may seem taller.
|

replied September 9th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Wakko inm from sc too! Wut prt? Ur the only person I know on her besides me that lives here!`
|

replied September 12th, 2004
Experienced User
wakkochic17 wrote:
to my knowledge there is no connection. Height is based on genetics, your body's production of growth hormones and proper nutrition (malnurished children can have stunted growth). Some types of exercises may claim to make you taller, but all they really do is strengthen your back or stretch your back giving you better posture and thus you may seem taller.

this is pretty much exactly on. There is no way any excercise can you make you taller. If you think about it for a minute and use commen sense its absoulutly rediculous. Height is based on genetics. Your not going to make yourself taller or shorter by excercising, you will make yourself stronger, and healthier. Your as tall as your going to be, your not going to be able to change it so you gonna have to deal with it if you dont like your height for some reason.
|

replied September 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Darlin,love yourself for who you are,not what you are!!!Make your mind your most prominent muscle and you will go very far in life!Some very powerful and successful men were not tall.Being less than statuesque is only a problem if you think it is!!In my mind,i'm 5'10",in reality,i'm 5'3".I often forget that am not tall,because I don't dwell on it.Good luck to you!Patty
|

replied July 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
If you improve your posture you will "walk tall" so even if you are not actually taller you will seem so. Also, stretching exercises will loosen up your spine so you will reach your actual height (i'm 5'3" when I am fully stretched, but I kind of 'shrink' when i'm just hanging around.
Lastly, be sure to drink enough water! The pads between your vertebrae can shrivel up if you become too dehydrate (happened to me in the hospital ~ I was down to 5'1"!)
|

replied July 21st, 2005
What about those body bulilder people who started exercising too early and stunted their growth?
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
Hgh
Actually if your growth plates are still opened(they might be open in some case up to late 20's) you should look into ways to increase your growth hormones production, they can effective help you grow taller, you can increase your growth hormones level either naturally or articially...My advice is stick to the natural way.
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....