Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Should I Be Concerned About This Sunburn?

I know I posted the other topic concerning sunburn remedies, but this is the absolute worst sunburn i've ever gotten.

Normally my burns are just a little red and inflamed, and they itch and peel a bit for a couple of days. But this one is horrible - it itched, peeled, burned, and hurt for a couple of days, and then seemed to heal by sunday morning. But now it's even worse. The skin has peeled off tremendously, and the red inflamed skin is dry and scaly like a lizard's hide. I also have some bad scars and scabs on my right arm (looks as if I was scratched all over the area). There are darkened areas within the inflamed regions, surrounding the scars.

They hurt like crazy - I can't even lift my arms out straight or rest my arm under my pillow because the skin has practically hardened into a shell on my shoulders and it prevents me from moving my shoulder joints any significant distance.

I am not tanned - i'm very light skinned, probably borderline albino. So I char easily. But as I said, this is by far my worst burn.

Should I be very concerned about it? I have no other symptoms, like a fever - just the inflammation and the pain.

Scaredbaka - got fried
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
Sounds like sun poisoning to me... I'd see a doc!
|

replied September 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
Sun poisoning? What in the world is that??

Looking at my arms, my right one seems to be healing; it's still cracked and such, but I can at least lay on that side. My left arm, though, has worsened. The affected area appears to have grown since I made this post, and it hurts like crazy.

Scaredbaka - will never go into the sun again
|

replied October 7th, 2004
Moisturize!!!
If it's very sore you should consult a doctor, but you need to keep your skin moisturized. You need to use a fragrance free, dye-free, chemical free mositurizer. When I had bad sun burn I used a lotion by sensitan, its a premium re-hydration spray or it also comes in a lotion pump. You can view their products at Sensitan.Com good luck and let me know how things go. Embarassed
|

replied October 15th, 2004
Experienced User
I am sure you are feeling better by now but just thought i'd share my story too. I got sunburned really bad on my face a few years back and landed myself in the doctor's office. My face was swollen so badly I could hardly open my eyes and I was in so much pain. The doctor prescribed steroids to control the swelling and told me to buy noxema to put on my skin to keep it moisturized and help with the healing process. My face peeled two days after I was burned and the skin that came off was thick and nasty brown colored. The skin underneath was red and raw and very painful. I gradually started getting better but my face ended up peeling two more times after that until it finally got back to normal. I was lucky in that I didn't have any scarring. Hope by now you are feeling much better Smile
|

replied October 16th, 2004
Experienced User
I've had that problem in the past. I fell asleep by the river one day in my swimsuit top and shorts, and somehow my chest was the only thing that burned (lucky me). I never went to the doctor about it, although I should have. My enitre chest turned into a big, brown blister. I (stupidly) popped it one day, which of course made it worse. My mom then forced me to use my pregnant sister's nipple-cream on my chest to 'help it heal'. The next morning, it was a giant blister again. Now, I have a diagonal line of blister shaped spots permanently scarred across my chest. Let this be a lesson to all: if someone says "don't pop it," then don't!!

Daile
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....