Hi,
i've been having really strange eating patterns and I don't know whether I could have an ed or whether i'm a typical teen girl who's just experimenting with diets. Ok so firstly i'm diabetic and I gained a little weight in the past year so I decided to lose it. I went on a 4 day diet with absolutely no food and then I began skipping breakfast and lunch. When summer break began I found myself eating more food so I began purging (1.5 months now). There are days when I feel great about myself but other times I feel so depressed about my image that I don't even want to dress up and go out. My bmi is "healthy weight" but my parents always make me feel fat with little comments. I can be a totally normal person for a couple of days and then suddenly I get really depressed and purge and starve myself. I used diet pills as well but i've stopped now due to my purging. Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 24th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Hey hun. All I can say is please try and stop while your still ahead. I had the same problem.. 2 1/2 years ago, and im still there now. Anorexia and bulimia -Its a trap, and the longer u do it, the harder and longer it will stay and it will be sooo hard to eat normal again.And it only gets worse and worse.Do you want to stop? I mean.. I know its hard...And im sure u look great and just cant see it.. But all restricting will do is get u back into the binge/purge cycle.. So all u can really do to quit is to eat as 'normal' as possible. And at least 1,500 cals. Eating more frequent smaller meals may help too so u dont feel the 'need' to purge. I know that in our heads we manifest this idea that eating normally will make us big or something. But its not true. Actually, eating 1,500 cals a day and keeping them and snacking frequently makes your metabolism go faster then restricting..And purging slows down your metabolism too. Even if u lose weight quicker this way, its not permanate. I realy hope u can quit while u still can and I hope u want to get better..
|

Thanks for your support kari. You and your son are both beautiful and he looks exactly like you. I just turned 17 so i'm just a little younger than you are. And I agree with everything you said about the eating habits, it's just getting harder to stop. Hope you recover from this ed as well.
|

What you are doing is called bulemarexia. When you do both anorexia and bulemia. All I can tell you is you have got to get help. I was a bulemic for 6 years. It started when I was 19 years old. I was a competitive gymnast who stayed thin and muscular. When my gymnastics career was over I gained weight and began to get depressed and throw up. That was the most miserable years of my life. My body was so worn out I could not even fight off a cold. I have ruined the enamal on my teeth. I now what you feel. After you stuff your face the only thing you can think about is get all that back up. It takes over all other thoughts or senses. It is almost an uncontrollable feeling but you know what? It can be controoled. With help it can stop. Bulemia is a disease and it is something I fight everyday but I am a good weight and my life doesn't feel out of control any more. Also you are diabetic and your binging and purging has to make your blood sugar out of control. Because you are diabetic you stand an even bigger chance of bad health. There are things you can do to help yourself but you have to want it for yourself! Find a psychiatrist you trust and feel comfortalbe with. There are chat rooms full of recovery bulemics and anorexics. I always found it good to takl with someone who knows what you are struggling with. There are also support groups. Sweetie you have got to do something before it kills you becuase it can and will if you don't get help. Good luck
|

Yes, you're right, I do need to talk to someone about it but there's no one who will understand. Most of my friends are stick thin and eat the junkiest food ever. My doctor suspected something when I lost 7 lbs from skipping meals and starving. I was actually really happy being able to fit into my old jeans. But I don't think i'm bulimic because I don't binge. Before I eat a meal I just think about the calories and one day a will have cottage cheese for breakfast and not purge and another day I will eat toast with jam and then purge. I just sort of decide whether on not I will throw up and then eat what i've decided. I don't think i'm annorexic either because I only starved for 4 days in my life. I never did it again...This is why i'm so confused with what this could be. And also I noticed I only feel this way when i'm sad or depressed like now when my parents are fighting and talking about a divorce, I feel so bad and purging makes me feel better about myself, I have no idea why...
|

Eating disorders are about control. Like your parents fighting. It scares you and you can't decided there outcome. But you can decide for your own body. It does not matter if you only purge once or twice a week it is still an eating disorder. Take it from me. Once or twice leads into a hell of alot more. Your heading down a very hard and difficult path.
|

replied August 26th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi, when I was 16 I almost became annerexic and was addicted to being--what I believed-- beautiful. I'm 26 now and have heard all the analyses of eating disorders being diseases and about not having control, therefore food is the only thing to control. I'm sure oyu have too. But, I think eating disorders are about feeling crap. crap when you look in mags, or on the tv or listen to people talk constintly about being thin. Because all those things say to us that being thin is the only way a girl can be loved or accepted, or approved of.
I thikn you have a hell of a lot more things to be proud of than other people's ideas of weight and you'll feel genuine confidence and self-respect when you realize and use your talents and abilities.
It may sound stupid, but that's how i've been able to deal with a pressure I think every woman struggles with.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....