I have read that a woman's most fertile time is 2 weeks before her period begins, but I have also read that the most fertile time is during those 2 weeks.

I'm very confused about this...If a couple was trying to conceive, would they engage in intercourse during the week directly following the woman's period, or would they wait until the next week, in which case it would be in that two-week time span.

What I understood from my own reading is that a woman is at her least fertile during her period and the week following her period, and the two weeks preceeding her next period are her most fertile time.

Can someone explain this more clearly to me please?

Scaredbaka
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2004
Community Volunteer
Scaredbaka here is a text book example of a womens cycle.

First day of period = day 1
ovulation = day 14
so the most fertile time would be from day 7 to day 21

a man makes sperm on demand but if demand is greater than supply you get diminished sperm production

there fore if you are trying to concieve it is recommended to have sex every other day (to let the number of sperm build back up) staring around day 7 onwards, meaning that even if you don't then have sex on your ovulation day there is still some sperm hanging out waiting for an innocent egg to just pass by Laughing

an egg will last for upto 48hours before passing out the womans body, sperm can live in fertile conditions for upto around 5 days (some say 7 days).

There, is therefore, the potential if you had sex on day 7 and ovulated on day 14 that there may be enough sperm left to fertilise the egg, and if you ovulated on day 14 and didn't have sex until day 16 it is possible the egg might just still be there.

Add into that the fact that ovulation can vary with each cycle and you can see why if you use charting or natural methods of "contraception" that you a) have to be very careful and committed and b) that you have to be able to accept the consequence of a little slip up.

All this can be avoided by using condoms (even better if they have a spermicidal lubricant or if you add a spermicidal lubicant yourself) and increasing that safety by also taking birth control pills, depo shot, patch or implants.
There are other methods of contraception but only barrier methods such as the condom or female condom also protect against infections as well.
|

replied November 19th, 2013
in march 17, i had my period and then got my period again on the 28th of march and i had sex on the 31, and my boyfriend came inside me and then on april 13 we had unprotected sex again and now im due on december 22,2013 so when did i get pregnant
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Based on your due date you conceived between 26th and 31st March although your period dates aren't what would be expected.
Ultrasound based due dates are the most accurate.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....