Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

My Viral Load Is Only 74... What Could This Mean?

Fellow members,
i've had two viral load tests in the past 4 months, and they both were around 74 to 76 (the average is 500,000 or more). I'm positive I must have contracted the disease years ago when my lifestyle was prone to possibly catching hep.
I'm told that usually if a patient clears hepatitus, they do so within a few months. About 10% to 20% clear hepatitus naturally. Possibly i'm just a rare case where a person contract hep and it stays very low.
I definately don't want to go through the ordeal of interferon if my viral load is so low.
Has anyone ever head of a viral load this low? Do you think that my liver is not in any risk of damage (or future cancer/cirrosis) with such a low viral count?
My game plan right now is to just wait and see what happens.
Thank you,
dco
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 22nd, 2004
Experienced User
That seems like an almost undetectable number. My husband's count was in the 3 millions. He is 42 and he doesn't know when he contracted it. He could have gotten it when he was 14 and had a transfusion during a hernia operation or about 7 years ago when he had some dental work done at a dental college. He thinks the instruments may not have been sterilized.

I really don't know a whole lot about viral counts, but his Dr. Did not recommend interferon treatment because he doesn't really have symptoms. He gets tired sometimes and he has lost some weight but he's not jaundiced or anything like that.

He did have a liver biopsy and it did not show any signifiacnt scarring.
|

replied September 23rd, 2004
Mistake..i Meant 740..which Is Still Very Low
I meant to say 740..Which is still very low.
Has anyone heard of such a low viral load? I don't want to start interferon if I don't need to (with such a low viral load), but then again, maybe nows the best time to treat it while its very low and could possibly be cured quickly.
I dread the interferon treatment. I'm a very active person: I play in a band, have a small carpentry business, am promoting a book I wrote, am promoting a cd of original music I recorded, etc...
It sounds like interferon will wipe out my energy.
Is there any way to maintain your energy level while under interferon?
Thanks,
doug oliver
|

replied October 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Hello doug,

i hear the interferon treatment is just like chemotherapy. So the same symptoms would apply like fatigue, nausea, hair loss etc.

Coincidentally, my husband and myself also play in a band. He is the drummer. I honestly don't think he would have the energy to play (and work his day job) if he were on the interferon treatment. I hear it's pretty rough.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do it. But that's something you have to decide for yourself.

Your doctor should be able to provide you advice as far maintaining your energy levels through diet, plenty of rest, etc.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Smile
|
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....