Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

I Need Help. I Don't Know What to Do.

I've had tmj for about 3 years now but it all of a sudden just started giving me pain. I used to have just the cracking in my jaw and (what I would think to be) a muscle moving in my jaw/throat area that I would have to push back into place or else I wouldn't be able to swallow. Just this past wednesday I had gotten severe pain that is constant. It will not go away unless I use a muscle relaxer/pain killer. I also tried a cold pack but that made it worse so now I am using heat which works much better. I'd like to go to a doctor for this but none that i've heard of take insurance and also no payment plans. I've heard of the costs being over 600 dollars.
I also had just started working for a chiropractor and he has been giving me adjustments since 3 weeks ago, which includes cracking my neck. Does anyone think this might have set off the pain? He wants to crack my jaw but I really don't think I want to go through with that. I think it would somehow put me into even more pain. Right now I have a sharp shooting pain from my jaw to my temple and behind my ear. My teeth on that side also hurt and my neck and shoulder. I haven't been able to eat in 3 days b/c I can't open my mouth wide at all and definetely not chew. I've tried softer foods, mashed potatoes and yogurt...But sometimes even that hurts. What should I do? Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 25th, 2004
Re: I Need Help. I Don't Know What to Do.
Hi,

very interested to see your post. I too have been getting neck cracking manipulations from a chiropractor. Although the chiropractor has not cracked my jaw he has done certain manipulations to it - please see post titled "tmd and chiropracty".

In my case the chiropracty on my jaw has not relieved the pain and has actually made the matter far worse. My jaw now feels totally alien to me and my teeth just feel too big and close together for my mouth. This is why I am trying to decide whether the chiropractor has done something that he really shouldn't have.

Also, like you, I now have a muscle in my throat that spasms whenever I swallow. I haven't had to move it back into place yet but you can hear it and if I put my hand on my throat I can feel it - it is a very strong and loud and makes eating or drinking a real drag. Only way of coping with that problem I have found so far is to look sideways when I swallow.

I'm not saying that jaw cracking wouldn't help but if I could go back in time 2 weeks I would instruct my chiropractor to leave my jaw alone. Personally I think in trying to get more movement back into my jaw that he has drastically altered my bite. Whether he did that from the jaw manipulations or whether the neck muscle loossening has done this I am not sure.
|

replied May 3rd, 2005
I have recently started seeing a chiropractor and i've had horrible vertigo/dizziness since. The left side of my face seems super tight. I'm wondering if I shouldn't get my neck adjusted anymore. The left side of my neck is also very tight. I get headaches in my left temple, as well. I dont know what to do. I'm only hoping this is tmj and not something more serious.
|

replied May 8th, 2005
Emocoregirl
Most places will work with you if you don't have any insurance or not the kind of insurance they take. Search around. Don't you think this is worth spending a little money just to get it checked out even if you only go to one appointment?? See what your options are. It's not worth risking your health.

Tlcare
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! There are a lot of people with tmj or tmd find out that there problem is in there neck, I might suggest asking for an mri of the neck and jaw. Sure hope that things get better for you all.
Sincerely,
sandy
|