I've been having a hard time falling asleep lately. I don't think i'm depressed. I do everything right by not taking caffeine at night, except I sometimes have a coke during supper. I'm taking a stimulant, but I take early in the morning. I exercise, but not right before I go to bed. I take trazodone (a sleeping medication) at night. I don't think it helps. I'm going to tell my doctor about this, but it's a month away. What usually helps you sleep other than reading, drinking warm milk, and exercising.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Coke(the drink,i am assuming??) has caffeine and that can cause sleep problems.I would not wait to see the doc.Call her/him and tell them about sleep problems,especially since your are on sleep meds.Sleep problems can happen when you have a lot on your mind or have had some trauma in your life.Again,i would not wait and would call the doc asap.Patty
|

replied August 15th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Get some relaxation &/or meditation tapes these (if you practice them!!) can help sleep problems.
|

replied August 17th, 2004
Sleeping Medications
I did some research on some non-prescription drugs. I decided to try valerian root. It’s a herb that helps you fall asleep and it also treats anxiety and depression. It’s also not addicting and does not cause morning grogginess. I bought it online, but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope that helps me fall asleep. There are also some other herbs that might help you fall asleep. There's melatonin and hops, but I don't recommend them. They cause depression and morning grogginess. There's passionflower, which I recommend. It's not addicting and it treats anxiety and depression. Chamomile and lavender are addicting, but they treat anxiety and depression. There hasn't been that much research on herbs, so some of my information might be incorrect. There also antihistamines found in cold medicines that are proven to help you fall asleep and they are not addicting. Don't get algeria or claritin. They won't help you fall asleep.
|

replied August 26th, 2004
I'm sleeping better now. I'm not sure if the valerian root helps much, but I take a bath before I go to bed and listen to some music and that seems to help. I stopped taking trazodone I think. I'm having a hard time remembering if i've taken any lately.
|

replied September 12th, 2004
I've done more research on herbs that help you sleep. Valerian root can cause depression, but it can treat anxiety. Chamomile does not treat anxiety and depression. Lavender is the best for treating anxiety and depression. Right now i'm having a hard time falling asleep. I've even taken a bath, valerian root, trazadone, and i'm listening to my cd's.
|

Extremely eHealthy
A ces machine has helped my sleep alot - but just make sure if you get one not to use it within about 3-4 hours of going to bed - they also help depression, anxiety, concentration & headaches etc - check out dynamind.Com
|

Insomnia is a very common sleep problem, affecting almost everyone at some point in their lives. People with insomnia report that they can't fall asleep or they cannot stay asleep. This leads to daytime weariness and loss of productivity.

There is no other better option than to naturally get good nights sleep. You can find some of the good habits for sound and good night sleep.
aromatherapy is also a good option for insomnia. You can try it.
|

replied October 17th, 2004
Lack of Sleep
Try melatonin.It works very good.
|

replied October 18th, 2004
Experienced User
I masterbate if I cant sleep doesnt always work but its a win win situation
|

replied October 29th, 2004
In Search of Sleep
This message is for canadians:

i'm looking for the documentary in search of sleep (cbc in june 2004). If anyone have it, please write to me. I'm ready to pay a couple of dollars.

Thank you,

jfs

|

replied November 18th, 2004
Long term use of sleeping meds makes it harder for you to get to sleep. Try staing up all night and going to bed as normal the next day. Bet that works.
|

replied November 5th, 2005
I Been Sleeping Better
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to this post, but I couldn't find this post until now. I'm taking melatonin and that's been helping me sleep. I'm off of trazodone, because it wasn't working.
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Melatonin Does Not Work
After daylight saving time began i've had a very hard time falling asleep. I’ve realized that melatonin does not work. I was taking melatonin right before I went to bed for a long time. I thought it was working, because I was sleeping well at the time, but not anymore. I'm going to ask my doctor if I can go on ambien.
|

replied April 21st, 2006
Experienced User
5-htp – is a naturally occurring transmitter. The immediate precursor to serotonin, 5-htp is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and readily passes the blood brain barrier to promote optimum serotonin balance in the brain. Promotes relaxation, lightens mood, improves sleep, assists weight loss, reduces chronic headaches, blights fibromyalgia, decreases carbohydrate cravings, and reverses depression. Foods – pineapple, turkey, chicken, yogurt and bananas.

Melatonin works well with many people....But for some it doesn't work at all or very briefly. If you have any left consider upping the dose. But I highly recommend the 5-htp....Start off with one very other night, see how your body reacts....Some people get very vivid dreams, some get nightmares...In this case lower the dose. :)
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....