Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Help - I've Found a Lump... :-(

Hi everyone. I'm a 21 year-old girl, and I used to smoke about 20 cigarettes (with occasional joints and cigars) for eight years. I have now quit - and haven't smoked in over 18 months.

However, i've found a lump inside mouth. It's a perfect half-sphere shape, and about a centimeter in diameter. It's located about a centimeter underneath my lower lip, on the inside, and it's underneath the skin. It' doesn't hurt at all, and it's definitely new - it probably appeared sometime in the last two weeks.

There is no history of cancer in my family, although the female members of my family (my mum, auntie and cousin) have all suffered with numerous large & scary (but harmless) cysts in the arms legs and breasts. I know mouth cancer is rare for a girl of my age, but I have a bad feeling about this.

I'm going to see a triage nurse about this tomorrow because my surgury is really busy. I have an appointment with a proper doctor (for something else) in ten days. It's very easy of me to think it is cancer, but is there anything else it could be? Thank you for reading this - I haven't slept in days.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 22nd, 2004
We all have those. Mouth cancers usually start up as a white or red patch ( leukoplakia and erythroplakia) . You arent describing a lesion. You are describing what sounds like a harmless nodule. Feel like a bb under the skin?
|

replied January 24th, 2005
sean1969 wrote:
we all have those. Mouth cancers usually start up as a white or red patch ( leukoplakia and erythroplakia) . You arent describing a lesion. You are describing what sounds like a harmless nodule. Feel like a bb under the skin?

could that also be under the tongue as well!?
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
The location you have described is not typical of cancer. Cystic lesion is usually arising below the tongue. Mouth cancer arises as red or white patch on lateral side of tongue. However, you should consult an otorhinolaryngologist to evaluate it.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.