I have a 7 week old daughter. Ever since she was born, she shakes her leg(s) from time to time. At first I thought it was cute, now it has dawned on me that it could be a seizure. My neighbor said her daughter did that. How do I know if it is seizures? My son never did that.

Jc
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 8th, 2004
Infantile Seizure
To be on the safe side get a medical opinion from your doctor who can order the necessary tests to assatain if or if not your child has epilepsy.
|

replied August 8th, 2004
Experienced User
I Dont Think So
If it's just the leg shaking..I'm pretty sure it's not a seziure.. There's 2 types of seziures a person can have..Tonic clonic *old term,grand mal* or an absence..With the tonic clonic,the whole body stiffins and starts shaking *u can have an "accident"..Vomit,or spit during the seziure*....My mom's worked with ppl with epilepsy for 6 yrz..So I know quite a bit about it..But if ur still worried..Go to ur doc & get her/him tested..Hope that helpz..
|

replied August 8th, 2004
Types of Seizures
Lee159,

i just want to clear something up. There are actually many types of seizures a person can have. If you do choose to categorize them into two groups, you forgot one. The two types you named (absence/petit mal and tonic clonic/grand mal) are both generalized seizures. There are also partial seizures (the most common type in adults by the way) which can be categorized further into simple partial and complex partial. Partial seizures stem from only part of the brain, so they can present themselves in countless ways--just read the posts on this site!

It is therefore possible that involuntary leg shaking could be a seizure, although it's probably not the case (or at least not worth worrying about) in this situation. Jennifer, you should ask a doctor if you're concerned though.

Jen
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....