I have an appointment in a couple of weeks for a check-up. The doctor will do blood test and a full check-up. Im 32 and I never went for a blood test to check my chloesteral level. Im really scared he will find something wrong or I have high cholesteral. It's at the point where it's a phobia not just a worry. I don't know what to do. I know I have to do it, but im making myself crazy. Any sugestions?
Thanks,.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 9th, 2004
I have the same problem, whenever a doctor wants my blood I start to get anxious and my face turns white like I had seen a monster. I'm 23 and recently had my mother with me to have blood tests and I cryed like a 5 year old, but then I realized if I didnt look at the needle it was a little better but that didnt help the thought thta I had something wrong with me and I was going to die. Needless to say I was fine and you will be too. Just remember its all a mind game,anxiety breeds anxiety....Thousands of people have high chloesteral and the doctor tells them how to get it low again and there out there eating bugers in a month :p what helps me is to think... "life goes on, i'v been through worse then this before and im still here, I will not let this fear rule my life!"
|

replied August 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Phobia's tend to turn into panic disorder and you don't want that trust me! Try reading some books on cbt and start using the tools they teach you and I think this will help you a lot! I suffered panic disorder as well as depression but through the tools taught in cbt I have been feeling better than ever and I am panic and depression free now Smile the two books we used in my group are really good and I would recommend them both highly: been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz for anxiety and depression and mastery of your anxiety and panic-third edition by michelle craske and david barlow for panic disorder. I hope this is useful to you.
|

replied August 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Alot of People ...
Panic when they go in to a physicians office . Well " seasoned " doctors will retake their blood pressures say in another 15 minutes . Just be thankful that there are so many medicines out there to help you with your cholesterol . You know, it 's like there have been people stricken with polio the year before the vacine ( which was invented in 1954 ) . Another thing, above all else, try to find something anything to be thankful each and every day .
|

replied August 11th, 2004
Experienced User
It can be scary to go to a doctor, but we must admit doctors are very good at treating illnesses, and therefore one should feel good going to a doctor.

What is probably happening is that that you have panic attacks over which you don't seem to have proper control and which may have little to do with going to a doctor. The reason is that these attacks of anxiety are driven internally as a result your body�s biochemistry.

These attacks may occur at other occasion as well.

Anxiety attacks can be controlled if we realize that these happen whenever we have a sudden descent in blood sugar levels feeding the brain. This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet.

This condition may be due to insulin resistance - blocking the proper absorption of glucose - that the brain interprets as energy starvation. It sends a panic hormone to the adrenal glands to pour adrenaline into the system (to raise blood sugar again), but this hormone causes all these frightening symptoms.

You can be medically tested for hypoglycemia (explained at our web site) and if proven positive the non-drug treatment is going on a hypoglycemic diet. This will resolve anxiety attacks over time.

Please discuss with your doctor.

Jurriaan plesman
|

replied August 12th, 2004
Experienced User
Try cbt before you drive yourself baty! The obitz book is an easy starter on it and you can often find groups being run by universities for little or no charge that only take about three months to complete.
|

replied August 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Diet Does Not Explain Everything>>>>
I may or may not have hypoglycemia but I do know for sure that changing my diet to cater for it would not resolve magically certain of my uncontrollable & unreasonable fears - like spiders & any sort of greenery & heaven help everyone if I get near bush!! I am terrified.

Cbt on the other hand may help these fears (although I think I can find better uses for it since I avoid bush & greenery & spiders & don't feel a great need to change this whereas other things I would like to change).
|

Extremely eHealthy
I agree with you purple,diet can contribute to some issues,but anxiety is often a hereditary trait.Want to know what my big bad anxiety inducing fear is.Driving!Just sitting in the driver's seat makes me short of breath.I really would like to overcome this,because it is utter nonesense and not baesd on anything.I have no other fears at all!Just this stupid fear to drive!It is really making me angry and would like to overcome it,but as with any phobia,easier said than done.Fortunately,my husband is very understanding and does all the driving and I can use public trans to get around on my own.It would be nice if I could just do this!!Patty
|

Extremely eHealthy
Cbt
Patty,

i haven't dome it but from what I understand a fear of driving could be a perfect "case" for cbt - why not give it a go??
|

replied August 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks,purple!I'd like to give it a try!Patty
|

replied August 15th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Patty,

your statement "i'd like to give it a try" is abit worrying - it sounds like what I say when I know I should, want to, but know that I won't - for whatever reason (lazy, fear, can't be bothered etc) - I just got the cbt book & know that the hardest thing for me will be actually doing it so how about you get the book & we try to face our issues together??
|

replied August 20th, 2004
Experienced User
purple333 wrote:
patty,

your statement "i'd like to give it a try" is abit worrying - it sounds like what I say when I know I should, want to, but know that I won't - for whatever reason (lazy, fear, can't be bothered etc) - I just got the cbt book & know that the hardest thing for me will be actually doing it so how about you get the book & we try to face our issues together??

so true purple Exclamation getting started is the hardest part and having someone to work on the exercises with you is a great idea. Being in a group helped keep me going to as everyone "got it" at differing times and it was inspiring for people like me that were still struggling with the exercises to see others that were making progress before I "got it." simply reading any book is not likely to help anyone. You have to apply yourself to doing the exercises regularly. I'm a big believer in the acronym kiss (keep it simple stupid) and that's one reason I like the obitz book so much because it does not overwhelm you with lost of chapters and exercises and keeps it simple so you can build your confidence in cbt rather quickly if you work at using the tools everyday. :d
|

replied August 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Groups can really help you get going Smile
|

replied August 31st, 2004
Experienced User
haley wrote:
groups can really help you get going Smile

excellent point haley Laughing
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...