Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Thrombocytopenia After Pregnancy

Hi !
My sister is suffering from thrombocytopenia after pregnancy.Doctors at hospital are recommending about transfusion.We dont know whether its severs or not.I wanted to know is there any online medical agency available to recommend the course of treatment.
Regards,
ahmed
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 23rd, 2004
Thrombocytopenia After Pregnancy
Hi ahmed,
i also had thrombocytopenia. Is that the only thing going on with her right now? I had it in combination with several other things going wrong. It ended up that years later I found that the group of dysfunctions was due to lupus. I did not have to have a transfusion. Since the doctors were working to control a group of symptoms, they were able to turn my health around without resorting to a transfusion. Maybe they should be looking for the cause of the throbocytopenia, as well.
Lizbet
|

replied January 11th, 2005
Thrombocytopenia
Hi ahamed

your sister may be having thrombocytopenia associated with pregnancy. How ever keep in mind that many drugs that a person may be taking can cause thrombocytopenia. Check out this list to see if she was taking any drug that may cause thrombocytopenia

http://medicineworld.Org/physicians/hemato logy/thrombocytopenia.Html

best wishes
betsy
|

replied May 23rd, 2009
Thrombocytopenia
My daughter had a baby 1 month ago. At the beginning of her OB visits, she was told her blood work was normal. We were admitted to the hospital for an induction 1 week before her actual due date. Upon admission, her platelet count was low- 54,000. The test was repeated about every 1-2 hours, and it went down everytime it was checked. The level got to either 24 or 28,000, at which time she was given platelets, and had a c-section. She remained in the hospital for 5 days, and the platelets gradually began to rise. At the time of discharge from the hospital, her platelets were over 100,000. At this time the babies platelets began to decrease. I think the babies platelets got down to around 50,000, at which time we had to take her to a high-risk nursery, where she stayed for 3 days. Everytime the platelets were checked they would increase. Approx. 1 week after delivery, my daughter saw her hematologist her platelets were also increasing,(128,000) at that time. We went back to the hematologist today for a 1 month re-check and her platelets have now dropped to 43,500. QUESTION 1: Is this common?
QUESTION 2: Can this also be happening to the baby--the decrease in her platelets?
QUESTION 3: How often should the platelet level be checked, for my daughter and also the baby?
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Hi my name is Cassy and I am from Sydney Australia, I got ITP 2 years after the birth of my son, The doctors said that it could have been due to stress as I was under a huge amount of stress from work, In 2004 I had a spleenectomy as my platlets went from a low 14 to a massive 600,I thank the great doctors for saving my life and giving me hope,Thankyou Dr Morgan of Gosford
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
I was diagnosed with thrombocytopenia (ITP) at the age of 16. There are various treatments for ITP including prednisone (a corticosteroid) and different types of blood fusions. Unfortunately, there is no cure for ITP. A website that really helped me out when I got sick was www.pdsa.org it's the platelet disorder support association, a page for people with ITP and their families and friends. Go take a look around, they have a good amount of information, and posting boards and such. I have been told before that even though I am currently in remission, I will have to have a hemotologist when I do plan to have children because women do have a tendency to get gestational thrombocytopenia.

Another word of advice: I had taken Prednisone, done different blood fusion treatments, and was even at the risk of having my spleen removed until I found Transfer Factor. I currently take Transfer Factor and have been in remission since I started taking it two and a half years ago. I'm not guaranteeing that it works for everyone, cause I have found that with ITP, different treatments work best for different people; however, it did work great for me, and with no risk of side-effects like the other traditional procedures for ITP.
|
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....