I read a story of a paranoid schizophrenic on the internet. He says that during his psychotic episode he has had problems with memory. My question is:
are deterioration of memory,intellect,orientation common features in the acute schizophrenic episode of paranoid schizophrenia?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ldynwaitin
|

replied July 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Memory loss can happen through any number of things: meds, pain, stress, anxiety, mental &/or physical illness, episodes etc - also age & hormonal imbalances (in both men & women).
|

replied July 24th, 2004
R
I have read that in paranoid schizophrenia unlike other types of schizophrenia cognitive functioning remains relatively preserved.
|

replied July 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
You have obviously never met my mother-in-law (a paranoid schizophrenic) & definitely her cognitive & every other function (in my admittedly biased opinion!!) has been affected!!

However this conditon is absolutely no different to any other physical or mental illness/condition - every person is unique - every persons reaction to the problem, reactions to meds, degree of seriousness of the problem etc - everything is unique - there are no hard & fast rules for anything.

You have to work out what meds, treatments, alternatives etc work for you & how you are going to deal with this problem & how badly (or not) you are affected by it. The experiences of others can only be a guide not a bible or a precise manual.
|

replied August 12th, 2007
How to Get a Schizoprhenic Motivated??
My sister's son has has been a Paranoid Schizophrenic all of his life. He's 38 now, on disability and never had to work a day in his life. He's a big strapping guy, but has increasingly become very lazy, and a problem for my sister. Her husband recently passed away so it's just her and her son right now.

He only started taking medication in his early twenties. In that time he used to get very ill on the medication. As of late I found Abilify for him to take. Now he no longer suffers the bad side effects of his prior medications. He's become so much better that we even heard him mumble that the medication was working to good.

The problem with him is even though he always taunts that P.S.' are usually genius' and that he considers himself one, he acts almost retarded. He relies totally on his mother for everything. Since he's home all the time his mother asks that he helps around the house.

Unfortunately, not working all of his life it's very hard to get him to do anything physical. Living in Texas the grass grows very fast down here. All my sister asks of him is to mow the grass once a week. He gripes that because of his condition he cannot exert himself to much, or that he hates sweating, or he's going to die if he sweats to much. Living with a P.S. you all know they find any excuse to get out of something they don't want to do.

I fear for my nephews future health. I am currently disabled, I have CFIDS. I'm a firm believer of the expression, "If you don't use it, you'll lose it." Even though I may get sick for a few days, I still try to do physical things around the house so that I won't become an invalid.

How can you get a P.S. motivated? After seeing a special on CNN about football players dying from heat exhaustion now my nephew refuses to mow the grass because he swears he's like the football player who could die from heat exhaustion. This is the only physical exercise he gets in his life. I don't want to get into one his confrontational discussions. Once he gets riled up, even on medication it's hard to step away from him.

Can anyone give my sister some advice on what she can do to get her son to do something physical other than clicking a button on the TV remote??
|

replied August 13th, 2007
Experienced User
I know myself how hard it is to get motivated to do things while you're schizophrenic or even exercise a little. All I feel like doing is staying in bed, but that makes me feel even worse so I try to do things. I spent a whole year just watching TV, not able to move very much. Schizophrenics are often considered lazy, but that is not always the case - sometimes they just can't do very much. I cannot really tell what the situation is with your family member, whether he's really lazy or just catatonic. You can try letting him know of the harmful effects of inactivity. He can get seriously sick in later life from just sitting around and die at an early age.
|

replied August 13th, 2007
Philo wrote:
I know myself how hard it is to get motivated to do things while you're schizophrenic or even exercise a little. All I feel like doing is staying in bed, but that makes me feel even worse so I try to do things. I spent a whole year just watching TV, not able to move very much. Schizophrenics are often considered lazy, but that is not always the case - sometimes they just can't do very much. I cannot really tell what the situation is with your family member, whether he's really lazy or just catatonic. You can try letting him know of the harmful effects of inactivity. He can get seriously sick in later life from just sitting around and die at an early age.

Thanks for your reply. He's not catatonic. He's almost normal, just have to watch what you say to him. Sometimes he just gets so defensive or takes things totally wrong. Since he's never worked a day in his life, he doesn't know what it's like to get up in the morning, no matter how bad you feel, and have to go to work. I think his main problem is he's using his condition as a crutch to keep from doing things.

I know the abilify has made a world of difference in his mental health. It's almost like talking to a normal person now. He very rarely fights with us anymore. I now fear for his health. When he was bad my sister walked on eggs. She didn't want to get into an argument with him.

He's six foot three and weights 275 pounds. Someone you don't want to get into an argument with. I do fear for his health because he just plain doesn't want to do anything physical that will make him sweat. He'll say it's not good to sweat, that it will kill him. Or that "You don't understand, I can't work hard because of my condition." I can't count how many times I've heard that. He won't listen to us because he said everyone is different, and that we don't know what it's like to be him.

I think what he needs is to see and speak with others with his condition, that do have a nearly normal life. And know that pushing a lawn mower, or a broom is not going to give him a heart attack. I tell him the opposite will happen. That if he doesn't do some kind of physical activity that he may end up having a heart attack from all the fat built up in his heart or veins.

Once again I thank you for your reply. I'm going to print it out and let him see it. Coming from someone that he can see knows what he's going through I hope it may give him some incentive.
|

replied August 19th, 2007
I hate the idea of my life going to waste because of this disease.... I want to work hard and get a career, Im going to do my best to keep this from bringing me down, no matter what it takes.
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2007
Re: How to Get a Schizophrenic Motivated??
ldynwaitin wrote:
... The problem with him is even though he always taunts that P.S.' are usually genius' and that he considers himself one, he acts almost retarded. He relies totally on his mother for everything. Since he's home all the time his mother asks that he helps around the house. ....
I have discovered that certain levels of genius are being shut down. They are simply not being allowed to live their lives. To add to this, they are being set up to appear to have the opposite of their true intellect.

To understand why, you have to understand suffice enough to know why reality is as it is. You must understand what is intended in the long run. In other words, you must understand the structure of its intentional design.

I object to the plan.
This may give you an idea just how close I have gotten to seeing the big picture.
http://www.outersecrets.com/real/biblecode 2.htm

Unfortunately the world is full of athletic intellectuals, who being athletic, jump enormous distance to reach a self satisfying conclusion, no matter what brutal consequences this throws upon others. Without question, they jump up and over the truth. Thus the character know as Satan has taken advantage of them and has set the scene such that no one is allowed to be any greater than another to such a point that if you are you will be classified as someone who is nothing more than an individual who is experiencing delusions of grandeur.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Funny how I seem to be soooooooh much related to Jesus Christ, isn't it !
But this is said not by my personal words, but by the information encoded within the bible.
See Shroud of Turin Bible Codes also.
http://www.outersecrets.com/real/biblecode _shroud_turin.htm

But as I said, unfortunately the world is full of athletic intellectuals, who being athletic, jump enormous distance to reach a self satisfying conclusion.

In short, the world is full of people who are quite happy with beliefs. Beliefs are incomplete and thus do not provide a person with direct contact with the truth. Thus the world is full of people who are quite happy with less than truth. Thus if truth is presented to them, it sits beyond their belief capacity since beliefs are incomplete. Thus they reject these complete truths since they do not agree with incompleteness.
|

Experienced User
Why do you keep repeating the same thing all the time? We get the point.
|

User Profile
Philo wrote:
Why do you keep repeating the same thing all the time? We get the point.
My apologies. I had no idea that the " We " that you speak of, represented all of mankind. I therefore also apologize for having updated the http://www.outersecrets.com/real/biblecode _shroud_turin.htm web site page last night to give further hope.
|

replied February 17th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I have somekind of trouble with my memory. I am inclined to forget some things but other things stick to me like glue.

For example, I can't remember what I ate yesterday or the day before, but I can remember very well the major scale and the minor scale on guitar. In fact, it gets a little eerie the things that I remember opposed to the things that I don't. eerie.
|

replied February 18th, 2008
Experienced User
In other words you have trouble with your short-term memory, not your long-term memory.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
help
im worried that my friend is having symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia, her brother is currently living in a home due to these issues and she has no other family to care for her, im the only one who is paying any sort of attention to her at the moment. she is 25 yrs old and ive been friends with her since we were 12, shes always been a unique person but i feel like she has snapped. Today she tried to tell me about this big conspiracy and it took her 5 hrs to totally confuse me, she made no sense whatsoever i have no idea what she was trying to say. then in the next sentence she would make sence, refering to normal everyday activities such as the need to feed her pets, and what did i want to do for dinner. does any of this make any sense to u ?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2009
Supporter
Is your friend will to seek help from a psychiatrist? She may not realize what she is saying or doing, sort of going in and out of reality. You may want to speak to her about seeking help. If she is diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia there are medications that can help her.
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Oh, I didn't remember that I had posted here and thus could'nt reply to you philo.

I have long term memory loss also. In fact, it's gotten so bad that everyday has become like new. I wake up in a new world everyday. I hardly remember anything from my childhood, or yesterday for that matter, it's just certain types of things that stick.

I have a theory that memory is way stranger than people think, we aren't in control of it at all, if you remember something your just lucky thats all.

Im not going to remember writing this at all.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....