Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Are Schizophrenia And Epilepsy Related? Please Read!!!

My mom has had schizophrenia since I was 7. I recently have been diagnosed with epilepsy. Are the 2 related? Both are brain diseases. If they are related, does this mean I may eventually have schizophrenia?
I've been through it all with my mom and I am not prepared to put my daughter through the same.
Notice the cycle, here?
Please, could someone answer with some helpful advise. Or is this something I should simply ask my neurologist?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I am not a dr but have never read or heard anything t suggest that having one means you'll get the other - anymore than a person whose parents didn't have any mental illness is assured of not having/getting one.

There just are no guarantees in life - as for your daughter - all you can ever do (any of us) is the best you can do at the time, love her, care for her, be honest & fair with & to her.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....