My husband and I are having a dispute on whether you can concieve when you are not ovulating. Can anyone help me with this please?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Ovulation
Ovulation is when your body has produced an egg, sending it into your fallopin tubes and then your ovaries, without this happening your husband cannot fertilise the egg. Your body only does this once a month, then you have your period which is your body expeling the unfertilised egg and lining of the uterus to make way for next months new egg. If you have had intercourse at time of ovulation and you have been lucky enough to have the egg fertilised, then you won't have a period because your body is allowing the fertilised egg to grow and remain in your body.

Hope that help,

.::suzy::.
|

replied September 25th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah what suzy said!. But most chances are...Yes you can get pregnant even when are not ovulating. Because you ovulate no more than two days out of the month and if that was the case (that we can only conceive at that time) pregnancies would be cut down. Anytime, not during your period, you can get pregnant. It depends on the person though. Its easiest to get pregnant during that time, but I know of people who did it before their period and not during ovulation, thinking they couldnt get pregnant and they did.
|

replied September 25th, 2003
I dont think that is true that you can get pregnant any time except for your period.
When you do ovulate it is only for thos couple of days and that is why we have ovulation kits. It tells you when you are fertile in that month and women use them to try get pregnant on those days.
Why do you think its not always easy to get pregnant, ask people who are trying desperately and there is nothing wrong with them.
They will tell you
|

replied September 26th, 2003
Ovulating
Laughing out loud at nicki_caro.......... I am a nurse and you can only get pregnant when you are ovulating. If you are not ovulating (releasing egg) then how can the male sperm attach to the egg. It takes an egg and sperm to get pregnant.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Then how come my sisters never had sex when they were ovulating and they got pregnant? And if all these teenagers are having sex and its mainly not when they are ovulating, but they still get pregnant...How is that?
|

Hey Nikki
I don't know why your sisters would have gotten pregnant. Unless they they did not calculate their luteal phase correctly. It averages 14 to 16 days. If someone doesnot calculate it right they can get pregnant. That phase is the time between your period and when you start ovulating. I do not know many teenagers that know or keep track of that kind of thing. I know I did not until I was in my early twenties. As for your question. I do not have an answer. They had to have been ovulating. I knew that was the only way. My husband did not know and was wondering why so many people got pregnant by accident. But I believe that not a lot of people really know what is exactly going on with their bodies. I really have learned a lot since my husband and I have agreed it was time to try. Thank you for your interest. :d
|

Re: Ovulating
kparish wrote:
laughing out loud at nicki_caro.......... I am a nurse and you can only get pregnant when you are ovulating. If you are not ovulating (releasing egg) then how can the male sperm attach to the egg. It takes an egg and sperm to get pregnant.

you certainly dont have to be rude and laugh. I've often wondered how some teens get pregnant and don't beleive they are ovulating. I think the problem is they dont understand how to calculate the days when they are ovulating.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I dont really care if she laughed. The last thing I need is another keelan_ss to bother me! Hahaha well I was talking to my husband telling him that and he was like no, if I come in you, at any time (other than my period) he says he garantees I will get pregnant. So its a $50 bet in january. We are going to try when im not ovulating to see what happens. Long time away I know, but well see!
|

Haha I dont think i'll take anyone up on that challenge but have fun trying nikki!!!!!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Lol, thanks! Im sure ill win! It doesnt really matter anyways because I control the money! So it will come to me if he wins! Maybe, just maybe ill let him have a beer! ;p
|

Extremely eHealthy
to Nikki
Nikki I think the reason so many ppl get preg when they r not ovulating, is bcuz they have sex just a couple days b4 ovulating and sperm can live in ur body up to like 5 days or sumthing like that. But in order to get preg, u do have to ovulate at one time while the sperm r in there! Lol. This is weird tho, bcuz I started my last period june 13 right? And ovulation is supposed to be about 2 weeks after? I didnt have sex with my babys father until july 3rd and 4th thats 3 weeks after? I have a 30 day cycle. So I figured I would have been safe but I used a condom ne ways but it broke and low and behold I was wrong. Lol.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Hahaha, see thats what I dont get. I know sperm stays in you for a while but if you only have like 2 days of ovulation and thats the only time you can get pregnant, but you did it after you ovulated and you got pregnant....I dont know! Well ill see with my bet! Thanks though!!!
|

replied September 27th, 2003
Ovulation
I am really sorry nikki, but you really are wrong. This is my one area that I am very familiar with. I have 4 children, and I am 38 years old. My husband and I attended a family planning clicic for all of our 4 children and they worked with us to figure my ovulation period which was only 2 days, anytime outside of this was completely impossible. If the egg is not there to be fertilised then there will be no pregnancy. I also have a lot of information from my gynocologyst on this subject that I would be happy to post for you if you are still not satisfied.

I hope this has helped a little bit, cindy
|

replied September 27th, 2003
My sister is currently a nurse and has been for over 30 years. My other sister works in a family planning clinic. At dinner with them I asked this same question to them both. They said the same thing. Sorry nikki but you are wrong. You must be ovulating to get pregnant. After all, no egg, no baby!
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....