Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Elecroconvulsive Shock Therapy

Hello, I would like to have contact with someoe out there who can help me. I currently am helping a loved one come back to her world after several of these treatments. I am finding out that memory of recent events is not as prevalent as memory of past. It is a challenge. As my loved one was hospitalized, we could see that the memory wasn't there from one day to the next, some things might be remembered and some not. I have been trying to help and would love to hear from someone who has helped with this before. There doesn't seem to be anyone out there that is willing to talk or maybe I just haven't found that person yet. Thank yu in advance for ay help you can give.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 13th, 2004
Ect has some side effects, including short-term memory loss. In some patients, the side effects of this treatment may be outweighed by the benefits.

After treatment, doctors may suggest maintenance treatment with medication or psychotherapy.

Approaching your psychiatrist or clinical psychologist is what I suggest for the cure of this type of problem.

Tina
|

replied November 16th, 2004
Ect Treatments
I had 13 of these treatments.Please contact me with any questions.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....