Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Circumcision, Is It Mutilation? (Page 1)

what do you think
I think it is up to the person becuase it is cruel
I think it isn't up to the person and should be done at birth
I think it is up to the person but is not cruel
39%  39%  [ 20 ]
19%  19%  [ 10 ]
41%  41%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 51
Ok I am asking this question because it has come to my attention that some people ridiculously think that circumcision is cruel and child abuse and that it diminishes pleasure! I want to know what you guys think. The thing is that some people say that it should be up to the kid and I kind of agree but they will eventually get circumcized anyway because it is the "norm" in america and will find it alot easier and it's better to get it done when you are young.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 25th, 2004
I am english. Within the uk circumcision is not seen as the norm. It is viewed simply as a medical procedure. I am 19 and now facing the possibility of circumcision as treatment to a condition known as phimosis. Although in retrospect circumcision as a child now seems favourable to a traumatic procedure in adulthood I view it to be an outdated traumatic surgery. I feel mutilation is an incorrect term to use as it suggests that certain religions require mutilation as an affirmation of faith which is narrow minded. As for the loss of sensitivity this is no myth. The foreskin contains touch receptors similar to those responsible for fine touch detection in the finger tips. Also due to the constant exposure of the gland desensitisation is inevitable a result.
Regards
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2004
Community Volunteer
Nah, it's just about as cruel as getting a baby girls ears pierced.
If it is a family done thing then I don't think there is an issue with doing it, but if it is not something done in a particular family then it is fine to leave it until the child is older and can make a choice.

My partner is not circumsized, had our baby lived, I would not have had him circumsized either, purely because it just isn't the standard where I come from and not in my or my partners family. I wouldn't have made he choice based on cruelty.

If I lived in a circumsized community or my partners family were circumsized (well not all of them but ya know...) then I would have had my baby done too.
|

replied January 18th, 2005
Would you get the tip of your nose cut off because others did?

specifically the risks involved
|

replied January 30th, 2005
Experienced User
aemul wrote:
as for the loss of sensitivity this is no myth. The foreskin contains touch receptors similar to those responsible for fine touch detection in the finger tips. Also due to the constant exposure of the gland desensitisation is inevitable a result.

Regards

bump aemul.
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Asside from loss of sensitivity, men who have been circumsized are also more likely to have problems with premature ejaculation, it seems like a useless procedure to me with very few benefits which are by far outweighed by the risks and cons. After a quick google search, I was actualy very surprised to find that most (if not all) of the websites I found supporting circumsition had been made using geocities or some of free web hosting service. And when it comes to something as seriouse has my health, or the health of someone else, I don't think I can trust a web site made by someone in their basement with a computer with an incredibly basic, to unexistant knowledge of html. I myself have not been circumsised, and I can say that i've never had any problems or wished that I had been. And in terms of letting it be the child's decision... If someone were to ask you if you wanted to be circumcised, and you were fully aware of what that meant... What are the odds you'd actualy say that you did want it, assuming you did not have any conditions that required it.
|

replied February 16th, 2005
Re original question

why do think its ridiculous etc?

On another post a guy who had it done with a general said the next
2 weeks were the most excrutiating pain in his life

many infants go into a shock reaction

if thats not child abuse, then what is?

Comparing removal of 2 layers of skin, a thin layer of glands, tens of thousands of nerve endings with ear piercing

...Errr no

you are quite right though,
it should be kids choice when he is older

interesting this is in mens disorders , freudian slip?

|

replied February 17th, 2005
Experienced User
bigman16 wrote:
what the hell? I am circumsized, and it happened at birth and I am 17... I don't think there is any issues, I wouldn't want to be uncircumsized thats for sure..... Look its all matter of opinion..... And I do not think the child has a choice if the parents decide or not..... And I think this issue isn't that serious compared to issues like drinking or smoking while having a child that is much worse. Look I am lucky to be alive! The doctor said if they would of waited one more day I would of been dead, so I do not think that being circumsized really !Don't matters to me

still not sure what you're getting at here. Stick to thr question.
|

replied February 21st, 2005
justin_toronto wrote:
aemul wrote:
as for the loss of sensitivity this is no myth. The foreskin contains touch receptors similar to those responsible for fine touch detection in the finger tips. Also due to the constant exposure of the gland desensitisation is inevitable a result.

Regards

bump aemul.

lmao! Anyways, no, I don't think that it is cruel, its prolly cool infact, what's the difference other than the size of it?
|

replied February 24th, 2005
a Question
If you did something roughly equivalent to a pet dog, could you be charged for cruelty to animals?
|

replied February 24th, 2005
Experienced User
fallingup wrote:
justin_toronto wrote:
aemul wrote:

Regards

bump aemul.

lmao! Anyways, no, I don't think that it is cruel, its prolly cool infact, what's the difference other than the size of it?

size? The size is not affected by circumcision.
|

replied June 4th, 2005
I was circumsized and I dont feel that its cruelty at all.
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I have recently changed my views about this subject and now I believe that is in a way, mutilation and I think it should be totally up the boy when he grows up if he wants to be circumcized or not.

I think it's very strange that most religious people do it because arent' relgious people always talking bout how important natural things are? And that we should be happy with what "god" gives us? I personally think they only play that card when it suits them but happily give it up when it hurts their agenda... Which imo.. Is supressing the sexual nature of humans. All for nature and what "god" created, yet they hate nudity, and hate sex, and are quick to chop that foreskin off with all it's pleasurable nerve endings. Hmmm...
|

replied June 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Cruel
I was at birth and it was cut way too tight! I ended up with a quite larger than average size penis and when I got really hard-it would hurt! I have been doing some things to strech my skin under my glans for the last 3 years and it has made a huge difference!! I wish I wasn't cut.
|

replied September 4th, 2005
Re: Circumcision, Is It Mutilation?
bd1012 wrote:
ok I am asking this question because it has come to my attention that some people ridiculously think that circumcision is cruel and child abuse and that it diminishes pleasure!

i don't necessarily think it's cruel or child abuse, but it does take away nerve endings which give you pleasure during sex so it kinda sucks to rob a kid of that without asking him first.
bd1012 wrote:
it is the "norm" in america and will find it alot easier and it's better to get it done when you are young.

when you say 'america' do you mean north america or the states? Cause i'm canadian and none of my friends are cut.
|

replied September 6th, 2005
Experienced User
Everyone is looking through their own windows. I m too:). Maybe a bit late for this but I m confused about it. "aemul" is saying that it decreases sensitivity and "jibly" is saying that it causes premature ejaculation. If I have a tiny amount of logic, I can easily think that sensitivity is as much effective as psychological reasons in premature ejaculation. If they r both correct, then they r both wrong. Simple logic. I mean circumsision doesnt result in neither sensitivity loss nor premature ejaculation...But it can still be a mutilation although it is more helpful than being dangerous... Considering that it is cutting something... If I m supposed to say my opinion, I say no, it is not a mutilation :) " everyone is supposed to look through their own windows. More importantly, no one is supposed to close or change the others' windows...
|

replied September 6th, 2005
Experienced User
bd1012 wrote:

yet they hate nudity, and hate sex, and are quick to chop that foreskin off with all it's pleasurable nerve endings. Hmmm...

i am a religious man(maybe not as attached as some others) as u mentioned. But u r wrong at these. We dont hate nudity, sex...But we love our privacy. U can ask why I am here then? I see this forum as very helpful and although it seems to be so open it is so closed. Here I can share everything that I cant in the real world. I mean I still, to some extent, protect my privacy and still love sex...Is it possible to hate sex? How can one even think about that? It is something so powerful inside of us that "god " presented us. Thats how we still survive... Sorry I behaved offensive but I wanted to correct a misunderstanding.

And about nerve endings. I have still a lot of them. I cant imagine having more ;). Thanks to all reading this...
|

replied October 11th, 2005
I have to agree with saglamh, sex should be something that is private and enjoyed and explored when you have finally met the one you want to share that with, but I also think that sexual health should not be something private for the good of everybody, but anwyays thats getting off topic...

As far as circumcision being mutilation, I can't really say that I agree with that, but thats just my opinion, but as far as whether or not the parents should be allowed to choose is a different story, it makes sense to let the child decide when he is old enough so that he can feel he at least had the choice (so this may mean he will remember the pain if he decides to get it done but thats a small price to pay to be given the choice), I simply feel that it is best for people to be given the choice to do what they believe is right. In the end when I think about this issue, I don't feel that all the facts are made clear enough about it for there to be any real changes made to how people do things nowadays anyways, so that is what should be adressed before people go deciding whether its right or not.
|

replied November 26th, 2005
On the Other Side
Since my last post I have undergone circumcision to help cure second degree phimosis. As I am now able to speak from both perspectives I feel that it is no more mutilation than any other form of surgical procedure. Although unpleasant during the initial post operative period, healing has been quick with a pleasing result in regards to sensation and aesthetics.

With regards to choice I feel that this question is far wider ranging than the subject of circumcision. Had I been given the choice as a child I would almost certainly decided that there was no way I was going to put myself through something which, at that age, would appear to be very scary.

From an adult perspective however it would have saved a great deal of stress, worry and inconvenience if I had been circumcised during infancy.

As it turns out my flatmate suffered from the same condition as a child and his parents made the decision to have him circumcised. He is feeling very smug at this point in time safe in the knowledge that his parents were better qualified than himself, at that age, to decide what was neccessary and best for him.
|

replied November 26th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Good perspectives/points. Interesting that you posted your update all most one year later to the day.
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....