Medical Questions > Nutrition > Atkins Diet Forum

Dr. Bernstein diet (Page 1)

I don't know where I am in this forum - I was hoping for a medical reply but I will give this a shot. I am presently on the Dr. Bernstein diet (tough regimen, 900 calories, injections of b6 & 12 m/w/f). I am losing weight - 6 lbs in 6 days and my profile is looking better so I am impressed. My problem is that I keep hearing about the fact many people know people who have been on this diet and then gain everything back. I am worried about this.

Has anyone been on this diet and then finished. What happened? Are you still slim?

Confused Confused Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper blu_eyes00
|

replied September 29th, 2003
Experienced User
Hey there,

be careful on this program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know 3 people who have been on it...One who's skin turned nasty, pale, and greeny-grey colour because of lack of nutrients and food he was allowed to consume, and from losing weight far too quickly!! U should never ever lose more than 2-3 pounds a week. My other 2 co-workers lost weight, but as soon as they stopped, all three put all the weight right back (and some) on even though all three were eating healthy. This is because the body had been "starved" and will hold everything and store it as fat once it enters the body. Any diet that supports eliminating certain foods and food groups is bad news. Key to weight loss is moderation and exercise. Please be careful on this diet. Please!
|

replied September 4th, 2005
Dr. Bernstein Diet
I’ve been on the diet (20 years ago!) and kept the weight off for a long time. The key is to maintain discipline and not cheat your way back to your old weight. If you go off the diet and cheat, you prevent your body from releasing the calories from your fat cells and this will cause hunger. Once you’ve reached your goal weight, you can eat more, and more things, than when you’re on the diet proper, but you can’t go back to the old habits that got you big in the first place. Stick with it -- you won’t regret it.
|

replied September 4th, 2005
I’ve been on the diet (20 years ago!) and kept the weight off for a long time. The key is to maintain discipline and not cheat your way back to your old weight. If you go off the diet and cheat, you prevent your body from releasing the calories from your fat cells and this will cause hunger. Once you’ve reached your goal weight, you can eat more, and more things, than when you’re on the diet proper, but you can’t go back to the old habits that got you big in the first place. Stick with it -- you won’t regret it.
|

replied December 14th, 2005
Dr Bernstiens Diet
Hi all,
well let's not confuse this dr b. With the dr b for diabetes weight loss.
I think this diet works well, iam starting it in january - I eed to lose about 20-30 pounds...I tried weight watchers some years ago and lost 7 pounds the first week and after a while it does slow down to 1 pound per week.
My plan I sto stick to Dr. B diet clinics for about 5 weeks and as soon as I see my weight loss slowing down I plan to work out to balance that with eating...
I have heard great things about it and know 3 people who lost a great deal of weight... But some got sick. Has anyone tried this diet and when was it that you started seeing weight loss slow down to 1-2 pounds per week?
Reena
ps: this is my first reply
|

replied December 20th, 2011
Reena, I never know that dieting has to be so regime.

Recently , I did a 5 days simple program and was down by 4.5 kgs.
|

replied January 27th, 2006
Dr. Bernstein Diet
My mother is an obese woman and has tried a lot of the popular diets over the years and none of them worked then she found out about Dr.Bernsteins clinics. She weighed over 400 pounds when she started about two years ago and has now lost 150 pounds and is a new woman. She gained some weight at christmas this year and had to sign a contract that she would lose 2 pounds a week. She is now able to travel and that is what she did when she went to mexico last week. She gained about ten pounds while she was away (as you do at an all inclusive resort) and when she returned to the clinic only to promptly get kicked out by Dr.Bernstein himself because of the weight gain. She is devastated. And I am afraid for her future. She has paid alot of money over two years and had been very successful up to now. I just don’t understand how they could do this to my mom, it seems as though he cares more about his reputation then he does about the people in his program. This program does work but if this is the way they treat their patients I would not recommend it to anyone.
|

replied February 24th, 2006
I Was On the Dr. Bernstein Diet For 3 Months
I had a bad experience with the Dr. Bernstein diet. It began very well though. On the diet I lost 50 pounds in less than 4 months. The diet was very difficult to maintain but I was extremely motivated, so I lost that weight according to their scheduled plan. I was delighted. However when I was ten pounds away from my goal weight of 130 lbs, my weight loss slowed down considerably. Up until then the nurses were very nice to me when i'd go in for my shots, but, as soon as I began to hit (what I believe) was a plateau, they got irritated and i'll even say rude toward me. I was following the diet perfectly but it seemed like they wouldn't believe me. I went from one of the clinic's poster children to an outcast in a span of three weeks. Not only was I no longer losing the weight the plan promised, but they were getting mad at me. I felt like i'd been had. I couldn't believe it so I quit. And no one followed up on me, so I guess they couldn't care less. I have since put all the weight back on and then some. I wish i'd never stepped foot in their clinic.
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
Hi everyone, i"m so glad I found this site. I am seriously thinking of starting the Dr. Bernstein diet in the near future. I have maintained a fairly average weight for most of my life, but I feel like I could lose about 20 lbs to make myself feel better. Even 30, but no more. I would like information, such as cost, and the daily menu of this diet before I make the call. I have heard negative things about the diet, therefore I want to go in there fully informed. (if that's possible). I feel like I need a jumpstart.
Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
|

replied September 11th, 2006
For those considering starting this diet..... Please don't.

I was a fitness fanatic all my life....... And I thought i'd be happier just 10lb's less...Just a little kick start to get me going.....

Biggest mistake of my life. It's given me an eating disorder... And I dont' know how to deal with it anymore. I was on and off the diet for over a year, and just today (this morning actually) the nurses were rude to me because I gained some weight back after having been hospitalized for a week's time, undergoing surgery. It was my last attempt whereas I had agreed to lose 2lb's a week....... And I failed... They were rude to me, and literally showed me the way out the door today...Not to mention $600 down the drain with no refund....

I'm mortified.
|

replied November 10th, 2006
Does anyone know how many ml is in the injection for the bernstein diet??
|

replied November 12th, 2006
Experienced User
Hello, I myself have never gone to bernstein, and I never will. I worked at an m&m meat shop that was attached to one and the patients would come up to me and tell me all about their diet. You cant eat carrots or strawberries etc. Also my friend went on it and she lost 80 lbs and she was happy with her weight loss. She also exercised while losing all her weight but when she reached her goal, she had very saggy skin. She lost the weight so fast that her skin didnt stretch down to her new weight in time, and she was mortified. Also my other best friends mom put my friends lil sister on the diet when she was only 11! Sure my best friend ashley's sister was a bit overweight but nothing a little activity and healthy eating couldnt solve. Her sister told me she wasnt aloud to eat strawberries or even have milk! I'm sorry but this clinic is all about money because they should know better to put a slightly overweight child on a diet and tell them no milk which is high in calcium.
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
Dr.B's
After 30 years of fitness, bodybuilding etc. the bottom line is discipline and control of emotions. This method of weight loss reduced food increase supplementation and for me exercise works. Do not use this Dr.B. diet as a weight loss diet only but as a way of re-training the mind to understand the bodies real needs and not the emotional one.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Regaining weight on Dr Bernstein
I have tried this Dr Bernstein diet to lose approx 35 lbs. It worked very well for me, and I never cheated once. I was not hungry, tired or weak at all. However, if you don't follow the diet correctly or eat items not on the list, the diet will not work; you'll kick your body out of ketosis hence feeling hungry and tired. I had more than enough energy to exercise and did so a few times/week. If you continue eating healthy and exercise after losing the weight, you'll keep it off. However, if you continue with the same unhealthy eating patterns, and consume junk food, pop, pizza, fast food, or eat huge portions the weight will stack on. For those who feel the need to splurge once they have reached their weight goal and feel they need to continue their unhealthy eating lifestyle, I would recommend that they can make an appointment with their family physician or dietitian and get some extra help. It's probably not the diet that is causing you to regain the weight, it's engaging in the same unhealthy eating patterns again. I lost all the weight, and kept it off. But I never had a problem with eating unhealthy, mine was due to some medications I was taking. I loved exercising, and kept the weight off by incorporating some of the things I learned from the diet long after I left the Dr Bernstein diet. It worked for me, and I wasn't going to spend that amount of money for nothing.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Bernstein diet
I can really relate to some of you...

I started the diet 5 weeks ago...followed it faithfully...lost 8 pounds the first week...5 the second and 3 the third...but never went into ketosis.
They started eliminating more than half of the food allowed on the diet after the first week. Every time I went in they eliminated something else to force ketosis.
I was down to about 300 calories per day...body in starvation mode...therefore no weight loss for the next three weeks.
Then...they wanted me to either sign a paper saying that I have been 'cheating' on the diet or they would discontinue treatment...well...I'm out of there.
I stuck to it faithfully...even when I didn't agree with their logic!!
I feel terribly let down...betrayed even...but most people today know that starvation does not make you lose weight. That is one of the reasons that my metabolism is so slow and I went to them to take the weight off in the first place.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
I'm sorry, but forcing the body to go into starvation mode is no different than anorexia.

Why even try to eat?

I have a friend who is currently on this diet, and she isn't liking how it makes her feel.

Ketosis is nothing to mess with!!
|

replied March 6th, 2009
Bernstein diet
I totally agree!!! But they claim to be experts. At first they say 2 servings from each food group per day...which doesn't sound so bad...and then...almost immediately...they start subtracting things. They promise support and guarantee you'll lose 10pounds a month...then they blame you for 'cheating' and dump you before they might get stuck covering their guarantee...very poor business practice.
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Bernstein and ED's
I really appreciate those of you who have spoken up here about this insane company. It is an eating disorder factory. Period. Having people eat less than 1000 calories a day is creating anorexics. As someone with a history of anorexia, I can understand why they provide bi-weekly nurse visits: check out an Eating Disorder clinic at a hospital, they want you to see a nurse twice a week too. Mentally, physically, this diet is setting people up to hate themselves: either to restrict their food intake to a ridiculous and unhealthy degree, or to 'fail', binge in retaliation, and hate themselves. I have a sister with binge eating disorder, who's also had bulimia and anorexia, and these jerks are telling her she can lose 100 pounds in 5 months and shouldn't eat more than 800 calories a day. This is unethical and should be stopped. The medical professionals involved should be reported. I intend to do everything I can to shut these people down. People shouldn't be capitalizing on our unhealthy relationships with food and/or our bodies, in whatever form this takes. I invite anyone who shares these views to join me in this. Please. People have died on the diet before (see CBC article 2006), and I don't want my sister or anyone else to be next.
|
Users who thank feministthinker for this post: born2bhealthy 

replied October 8th, 2011
my daughter developed bulimia on this diet
My Daughter developed an eating disorder after she stopped this diet. She was 15 and lost60 iils in 6 months. She then became bulimic and has been sick ever since . SShe is 21 now and has been in treatment for the past 2 years . She had to quit university because she was so ill. This is a very dangerous diet. I wish I didn't let her go on it but I thought it was safe because she was followed by professionals. It is a dangerous diet for adolescents and they should not treat children and adolescents. They reinforce all of the eating disorder behaviours.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
my daughter developed bulimia on this diet
My Daughter developed an eating disorder after she stopped this diet. She was 15 and lost60 iils in 6 months. She then became bulimic and has been sick ever since . SShe is 21 now and has been in treatment for the past 2 years . She had to quit university because she was so ill. This is a very dangerous diet. I wish I didn't let her go on it but I thought it was safe because she was followed by professionals. It is a dangerous diet for adolescents and they should not treat children and adolescents. They reinforce all of the eating disorder behaviours.
|

replied December 18th, 2011
Your calories are restricted on the diet, but there are lots of food to eat from. I never was able to eat all the foods that I was allowed from the proteins, fruits, carbs, vegetables. I'm thinking that the issues your daughter had probably was an existing issue before the diet started. I was on this diet. I worked 40 hr/wk, took university classes during this time a few days/wk at night, exercised, did regular activities. I had sufficient energy to complete everything and do well. If you are still hungry, they allow you to eat another half serving of protein or more if you're active. I'm sorry about your daughter. This is a strict diet that you cannot binge on. There are other issues going on in her life. Hopefully, she's getting all the help she needs to get back on track.
|

replied July 1st, 2009
This is the only Diet that has worked for me
I am on this diet (lost 32 lbs)and have never been abused or mistreated by the staff. Shocked My weight loss is slow and steady - about 6-10 lbs a month and no one ever yelled at me for it. The only thing I've had taken away were my fruits, replaced by diet jello. But that was only for 2 days. And yes, I cheated more than once. So I am sure it depends on the clinic you go to. Thank God mine is a good one as I dont take to rudeness lightly. In the past I've been on Weight Watchers and Herbal Magic - very slow results and a waste of money because all weight came back on in a heartbeat. For me, I needed faster results in order to keep me motivated. DR B brings these results. How you maintain those results is up to you. Maintenance is key - you cant shock your body back into eating your old way, with big portions and bad choices.
|

replied July 5th, 2009
Dr. B's Diet
This diet is for the obese. I mean if you're BMI is through the roof (like mine was) then this will help you. However, you should NOT use this to go from a size 6 to a size 4. It shocks the system. Also, because you lose the weight so rapidly there is loose skin all over your body. Its the prices you have to pay. Of course with any diet you can't go back into your old ways, but maintenance is difficult. VERY difficult. I went off and had a bowl of Special K (one serving, not a punch bowl or anything) and gained 3 pounds. Exercise is not promoted on this diet which makes me sick b/c you don't have the energy to do it. Is this diet successful? Yes. but not in the long term.
|

replied August 26th, 2009
Dr B contract
Dr. B's diet
I have been on this diet for almost 5 months now, and have lost about 35 lbs. Today I had to sign a contract because I havent reached my goal weight (4 more lbs) by now. How stupid is that? Four lousy lbs? I look great, feel great - mind you, I havent been in ketosis for the last 2 months, but nurse doesn't seem to be concerned. I felt great on the diet, even when I wasnt cheating, all those veggies, protein, and small fruit was enough for me - the think is you get bored with the same menu.... and you cheat, so it took me a little while at the end to lose. I is my money, so what if it will take longer. Is this a statistical issue? If I don't reach my goal in a given period of time Dr B looks bad statistically????
|
Tags: Diet, weight
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Shafi Ullah Khan
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
User Profile