Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

Pls Help! Side Effects of Ivf Injections

I'm starting my ivf treatment today. My doc gave me decapeptyl 0.1mg today and i'll be injecting myself for the coming 6 days. I'll then undergo a blood test on the 2nd day of my coming period. Then will start having injections of another kind afterwards.

Did anyone went thru these and can give me some info? I wish you can share with me about the side effects of all these ivf injections. I heard that the drug i'm taking has quite a few bad effects. I'm so confused. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper vajana
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Hi !!!!!
I just want to wish you luck!!
I'm almost close to ivf like you, but i'm still waiting my turn.

I can try to find some information for you on one of croatian site where i'm posting for long time, so just ask. Wink

as far as I know, those injection is not that often with bed effects.
You just have to keep contact with your doc.
Sometimes it's happened that some womens have hyperstimulation ( because of all of hormones), but it is not dangers and it is not often. Even if that happened you can go on ivf procedure. Don't worry and be strong.
All what you doing now is for your baby, and you will the most happier mother in the world.
I wish you that from the bottom of my heart.
Take care and be strong! You can do that!!!! Big hug!! :d

sorry on my bad english , I m just croatian girl Wink
|

replied July 9th, 2004
Thank You!
Maja, thank you very much for your encouragement. I feel warm at heart. In fact, i've just done my daily injection by myself. Sticking the needle in made me nervous. After reading your message, I feel better! :d

is the website you mentioned in english? Much info from there?

Thanks!!!!!
|

replied July 9th, 2004
Soon You Will Be Happycat!!!!
Hi,

sadcat, I wish you to become happycat as soon as possible Wink
and you will be!! Im sure!!

Regarding croatian site im talking about, we have conversation on our language which is croatian, but if you need any information you can come and visit us, many of girls speak english too.
Some of them are american or canadian citizen which leave in usa or canada but they are croatian in "original". You know what I mean.

Also, we gave a big support to each other and it is so important.
In july we have 9 pregnant women by ivf which is great.
Some of them have twins.
I wish I have twins too. I have names for them already. Crazy, did I Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

many of information I need they gave me, and we share information.
It is so great when you know that you are no only one with that problem of infertility. Girls are great!!

How are you??? Do you feel any pain when you gave injection by yourself??
How is going with your eggs?? They growing enough good??
How is going with aspiration (when doctor takes your eggs) I mean is it painfull?? Or it is your first time??
In croatia womens doesent have deep narcosa in that moment, doc gave us only pain killer, but it is ok.
I know I will be strong in that moment because I will know that I m soooooo cloooossseeee to haaavvee babbyyyy. Finally!! Can t wait!!

How is with your husband sperms? Is it good enough??
My boyfriend have oligoasthenozospermia, which means not enough of speed sperms and not enough in volumen. But we found some vitamines which helps in that. Now "our" spermiogram is better in 30% because of vitamines. It is great!!!

Okay, I really talk to much, you can imagine how much I m talking on my own language. Embarassed
wish you luck and be strong!
Please let me know result of bhcg.
Big hug :d
|

replied July 9th, 2004
Hi Maja
Hi, maja.

You're really sweet! We also have similar thoughts!! I cant stop myself thinking about babies' names.... Sooooo siily.... :p and sometimes i've dreams about my doc telling me i'm preg and I said to her it couldnt be. Or my husband playing with kids etc.... But now I try not to focus too much on this. Then i'm less stressful.

By calculations, I think the doc will probably be collecting my eggs at around 30th / 31st jul. I'm very nervous. I dont know what's going to happen. The doc told me i'll have to go to the hospital to to that. Then after 2 / 3 days, the fertilized egg will be put back inside me. I need to go back to the hospital to do that. Honestly, i'm quite scared Sad

my husband's sperm count & mobilty are normal. When I was doing iui (i did 5 iuis before going into ivf), the sperms were washed to increased performance. So. It couldnt be causing infertility. But i've also being checked. I'm perfectly normal too!!! So what's wrong??!! Anyways, I try to stop thinking too much because that annoys me.

Injecting myself doesnt cause too much trouble. But sometimes i's just not brave enough to do it quickly. I'm like doing it in slooooow motion. Also, the side effects are not too severe on me. I feel tired, sometimes hot flushes. I havent put myself on a scale so not sure about gaining weight.

When will be your turn? God will grant wishes to nice people like you!! So you dont have to worry. You'll soon be a happy mum too.
|

replied July 11th, 2005
Still Going Through Ivf?????
I've been through ivf five times, if you have any questions let me know and i'll be happy to help any way I can! I wish you much luck!!
|

replied February 28th, 2013
hello im getting ready to do ivf injections on march 5th im nervous what can i expect on these injections im partly scared because before this i took clomid and lets just say i had bad side effects on those pills hopefully you have something good to tell me ,I need the truth on what to expect
|

replied February 17th, 2009
IVF 5 Times?
Ivf for 5 times????

Hi, i am tintin, married for about 10 yrs without a kid / main problem is my PCOS.
Recently we have decided to go for IVF but in dilemaa now because at the time of egg collection, doctor observed too many eggs(40+) and now on madicatiuon for OHSS.Although docs is telling they will continue with Egg tranfer, I am very depressed and don't know what next??

Can some one share if the have simillar experience.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2009
IVF
HI... we did IVF/ICSI... sadly did not work for us and at the cost of it, could not proceed with another session. Also, I was not sure I could do the whole procedure again only to grieve the loss of the embryos yet again. We did not have very many embryos due to my body not producing enough eggs for some reason. They wanted to try a totally different drug on me that might produce more eggs... but price and emotions dictated otherwise sad2

Anyhow... to survive the injections, some of them have a WICKED kick after they are given (much like a snakebite or someone taking your skin, pinching it and twisting it), have an ice bag handy when you are giving yourself the needle. Once you have given yourself the injection, put the icebag on the site for approx. 5 minutes. This will ease the pain and also reduce the bruising. Before I did this, I looked like I had bruises all over my lower abdomen and the pain had me dreading having to give the next one.

Good luck to you.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
Any side effewcts with IVF treatment
Hi All

I don't know English but i am facing lot of pain with this IV F treatment.
Now i am taking 5th time IV F treatment. I failed 4 times.
I started this treatment 2007 April. So with in 2 years i taken 4 times(10 times anesthesia,4 times Hysteroscopy,and lot of blood works, lot of tabs, lot of injections).
And continuously i am taking my 5th time treatment next after the 4th time treatment.
not even i have no strength but i want a baby.........
Please try to understand my situation and help me.......
I am really sorry about my bad English.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
Hi ladies!
I am hopefully going to start my IVF injections this Friday 8/7. I was supposed to start two weeks ago, but the nurse found a big cyst on my ovary and said it needs to shrink before I start injections. I am sooooo nervous about giving myself shots! But I want this more than anything so I will suffer through it.

Are there any lasting side effects of any of the injections? Do they make you nauseas and cause headaches or anything like that? Wish me luck! I am so sacred this won't work for us. We've been waiting 3 years to finally start IVF/ICSI. I need support! Sad Sad
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Feel free to write me anytime. I'm starting my IVFICSI injections on the 8th and am also anxious but happy anxious. Not to mention that this year was the most anxious prone year of my lfe and now I'm starting this. I have similar questions you have and am a little scared of hyperovarian stimulation (since a cyst ruptured in me last year lol) but I'm trying to stay positive..The doctor will be monitoring us frequently for side effects. If the procedure doesn't work the first time around, the good news is that you don't have to go through that again. Hopefullt they have enough eggs to work with for fertilization to occur, without all this commotion. Good luck and keep me posted.
|

replied August 21st, 2019
Experienced User
Specific steps of IVF treatment carry risks, including:
Multiple births.IVF increases the risk of multiple births if more than one embryo is implanted in your uterus. A pregnancy with multiple fetuses carries a higher risk of early labor and low birth weight than pregnancy with a single fetus does.
Premature delivery and low birth weight.Research suggests that use of IVF slightly increases the risk that a baby will be born early or with a low birth weight.
Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.Use of injectable fertility drugs, such as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), to induce ovulation can cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, in which your ovaries become swollen and painful.
Signs and symptoms typically last a week and include mild abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If you become pregnant, however, your symptoms might last several weeks. Rarely, it's possible to develop a more-severe form of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome that can also cause rapid weight gain and shortness of breath.
I believe your dr is more likely to tell you about those, not aiming to upset you, but just stay realistic about the whole process.
|

replied January 20th, 2010
hi everyone! i would like to share my experienced about ivf treatment. i tried already 3 times but doesnt succeed and this coming saturday i start again the 4th try im afraid what will happen and im just hoping that everything will b fine..
|

Experienced User
The chances of giving birth to a healthy baby after using IVF depend on various factors, including: Maternal age.The younger you are, the more likely you are to get pregnant and give birth to a healthy baby using your own eggs during IVF. Women age 41 and older are often counseled to consider using donor eggs during IVF to increase the chances of success. Embryo status.Transfer of embryos that are more developed is associated with higher pregnancy rates compared with less developed embryos (day two or three). However, not all embryos survive the development process. Talk with your doctor or other care provider about your specific situation. Reproductive history.Women who've previously given birth are more likely to be able to get pregnant using IVF than are women who've never given birth. Success rates are lower for women who've previously used IVF multiple times but didn't get pregnant. Cause of infertility.Having a normal supply of eggs increases your chances of being able to get pregnant using IVF. Women who have severe endometriosis are less likely to be able to get pregnant using IVF than are women who have unexplained infertility. Lifestyle factors.For example, obesity can decrease the chances. Talk with your doctor about any factors that apply to you and how they may affect your chances of a successful pregnancy.
|

Experienced User
This is the sad truth. But unfortunately women of ripe age who are trying to become parents through ivf meet failures quite often.It's known that medical statistics confirms that at this age it's more difficult for a woman to get pregnant and also bear a healthy child. Though this fact does not mean that it is absolutely dangerous for a woman and that one shouldn't look for the most suitable method for her very case. There are a lot of success stories of aged happy mothers who became prego with own eggs. However, a woman’s ovarian reserve decreases with age. This reduces the chances of getting pregnant. In addition to this issue, there could be a low mitochondrial activity in women's eggs. These mitochondria are very important components of any cells. Egg cells cannot function well without healthy active mitochondria. Those not only provide oocytes with energy, but also have their own hereditary DNA material. With a deficiency of active, functioning mitochondria in eggs, even a healthy embryo does not take and the pregnancy does not occur. In this case, successful IVF is possible with using donor mitochondria only. Mitochondria replacement therapy is also called the “three parents method”. This procedure is based on the transplantation of mitochondria from a female donor into an egg cell of a patient who wants to become pregnant. Healthy donor mitochondria are integrated with the patient’s cells, fertilized. After this a healthy embryo is placed in the woman’s uterus.
This technology is also an alternative to surrogacy. It enables families to have genetically healthy children. Since the mitochondrial donation uses the egg of a donor, which does not contain defective mitochondria. The method is also recommended for women with a high probability of the development of mutations in mitochondrial DNA and subsequent severe illnesses in an unborn baby. Taking all this into consideration, mitochondrial donation helps barren women not only to become mothers, but also exclude a number of genetic diseases. With the help of mitochondrial donation, a woman can bear and give birth to a child on her own without resorting to surrogacy.
|

replied April 19th, 2011
IVF Treatment
hi,

i stated mine 1st IVF treatment a week ago with 15 injection for 15 day's, i'm 33 n married for 13yr's. after the injection every morning, i would feel the side effect, such as back pain, headaches, pain at my lower abdomen. it really make me tired. i m lucky as i m not working n rest all the time.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
hi!//i am a filipina 47 y/old last july still active in sex and healthy body and mind/my husband is 51 y/old working on a ship we are wanted to have 1 more baby my youngest is 25 y/old is it possible to have a healthy baby at my age?..who can help me pls...GOD Bless!!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

Experienced User
If you're using own eggs during IVF, at the start of a cycle you'll begin treatment with synthetic hormones to stimulate your ovaries to produce multiple eggs.. rather than the single egg that normally develops each month. Multiple eggs are needed because some eggs won't fertilize or develop normally after fertilization. You may need several different medications, such as:
Medications for ovarian stimulation.To stimulate your ovaries, you might receive an injectable medication containing FSH, LH or a combination of both. These medications stimulate more than one egg to develop at a time.
Medications for oocyte maturation.When the follicles are ready for egg retrieval - generally after eight to 14 days - you will take HCG or other medications to help the eggs mature.
Medications to prevent premature ovulation.These medications prevent your body from releasing the developing eggs too soon.
Medications to prepare the lining of your uterus.On the day of egg retrieval or at the time of embryo transfer, your doctor might recommend that you begin taking progesterone supplements to make the lining of your uterus more receptive to implantation.
Your doctor will work with you to determine which medications to use and when to use them.
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....