Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

How to Ween a Breastfeeder?

How old was your child, when you decided to completely stop breastfeeding?
under 6 mos.
6 mos. to 1 yr.
over 1 yr.
over 2 yrs
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
Question Question I am a 23 yr. Old mother, and my daughter is now 1 years old and I am still breast feeding her. She has never had the bottle, but loves her sippie cups. She has 8 teeth now an it is starting to hurt pretty bad when she breast feeds. Granted that I have been able to gradually cut down the amount of how often I breast feed her, she still wants to at each and every nap & at nite. I am planning on putting her into a daycare center and going back to work here soon, and would like to completely stop the breast feeding. But I am unsure how to approach the situation. I see no reason to get her started on a bottle or a binkie since she has never used either. Which would exclude the only 2 ideas I had to ween her. She eats regular food that us adults would eat about 3 to 4 times a day, and has snacks in between. So she is fine all day long, I just need help for nap time and nite time. So if anyone has any ideas that don't include a bottle or binkie please send me a reply. I am very eager to hear and hopefully learn of something that just might work. Thank you! :d
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Thegirlygirl
|

replied August 31st, 2004
Experienced User
Hi
I am working in a day care, and we did have a child with the same problem, maybe you should try to pump the milk and give it to her in the sippie cup and maybe hold her while you do that (at night) maybe even read a book so you can take the attention off the breast , if you know what I am saing.... And then lader mix the breast milk with regular milk untill you can just give her regular whole milk, you know the doctors say that after 12 mo. They should give up the bottle and dring regular milk, and if this is working for you just tell her she is a big girl and give her a sticker after she finished the cup. Good luck to you, hope this works .. Confused

Oana (tx_momy) Wink
|

replied September 25th, 2004
Experienced User
I stopped breast feeding my first at 6 and a half months because I started back to work later. With my new baby I stopped after only 2 and a half months because I started work after she was just 9 weeks. I was disappointed because I would have liked to go until she was at least 6 months too. With work and her going to day care it was hard to continue. I do plan on having at least one more sooner or later so hopefully I can breast feed like I want to then. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.
|

replied November 6th, 2005
Experienced User
I stopped breastfeeding hayley when she was 2 months old (i started weaning her at 1 month) she was born in october last year and hoping she'd be on formula by xmas (which she was) :)
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2005
Supporter
Re: Why Stop?
bloodstainheartdeathcry wrote:
i was breastfed until I was 11. It was the greatest experience I could have ever had. Not only was I getting a good, nutritious, and all natural meal, I was having fun! I also made lots of friends; everyone always wanted to trade lunches with me.

Why stop?

someone has white powder on their nose... Guess who?...
|

replied December 6th, 2005
Quitting Breast Feeding
I quit feeding my first one (son) at 1 month because he was such an aggressive nurser that my nipples were scabbed with sores.

My second one (daughter) I breastfed until she was 7 months and started to bite me...That was the end of that. I turned her loose onto goat's milk in a bottle (it's creamy and is better for baby's digestive tracts than cow's milk). She adjusted within two days of being crabby.
|

replied June 8th, 2006
Re: How to Ween a Breastfeeder?
Why are you breastfeeding?

I guess to me, the real question becomes why are you breastfeeding? Is it because you believe "breast is best," because it was convenient, because you liked the bond? Whatever your reason should give you your answers in stopping.

I nursed twins (with no supplements!) until they were 18 months old, am still nursing my daughter who will be 3 in july (no supplements) and my four month old son (no supplements)! While I enjoy the bond, it's a lot of hard work, but I believe "breast is best." the book "so that's what they're for" goes into great detail about formula companies and the downfalls of formula. Also, while the american academy of recommends nursing until at least one year old, the world health organization recommends nursing for at least two years!!!

Do some research and inform yourself of what you're truly deciding!
|

replied January 28th, 2009
same boat
I am in the same boat. My daughter is going to be 1y/o in a few days. I need her to stop nursing soon. she nurses 3 times a day and is now biting pretty hard and I am finding myself resenting the whole process I found so beautiful the last 12 months. She refuses, sippies, bottles and passys. Sometimes she takes sips of water in a glass, but nothing major. For the life of me I dont know how to make this transition easier for her. I should have jsut weened her on her nursing strike at 10 months but I was not ready for her to stop then...ack! Wish I could make thiss easy for her
|

replied March 24th, 2009
How to stop breastfeeding
I wanted an answer to this question myself and it seems as though everyone is stating their experiences without answering the question: How do I stop breastfeeding my 16month old son. It's not easy when your child cry's. Giving a sticker or telling someone to continue because the breast is best is not an answer!!!
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2009
Community Volunteer
If your son is 16 months old, he is old enough to understand the meaning of "no". He definitely shouldn't be nursing as a sole source of food or comfort. I think the best thing to do at that age is to just stop completely, but assure him of extra cuddle time as a replacement.

No one likes a child to cry, but that is how they learn and you have to start learning to deal with the crying or you will end up with a very very spoiled child that you will have a much harder time keeping up with a loving than if you have just shown him some "tough love" now.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
How to stop breastfeeding
I've heard of turning your child off to the breast by making them unappealing like a bad taste. My son was not phased by the awful taste at all. Any suggestions other than tough love. I have 3 other boys that just left it one day but that one day isn't coming fast enough with my 4th and I'm burned out.
|

replied April 12th, 2009
weening at bedtime and naptime
I agree with the girlygirl why are you all posting if you're not going to answer the question? I have a daughter who was 22 months when I stopped, I just started cutting back. First I stopped nursing her when she woke up from her naps and cut it down to before nap and bed time which it sounds like you've all ready done. For before bed I just started shortening the length of time. My son is now 15 months old and I am down to just naptime and before bed. I just started to only let him nurse on one side before bed instead of both and if he stops sucking for a few seconds I detach him before he starts again. When he is sucking consistently I let him because I can tell he is actually getting something substantial, but once I can tell he's holding on just because he likes it, I detach. I hug him and kiss him and then put him to bed and leave the room. He fusses for a couple minutes and then stops. Now I know some babies would put up a bigger fit than he does so I don't know how you would deal with that. I learned with my second to lay him down to bed awake, I started doing this at a young age and so he never cry's for long. Anyway my suggestion is cut back on how long you are nursing before nap and bed and after 3-5 days or so cut back more. When I finnally quit with my daughter she only fussed shortly for two days and then she was over it and she is and was then pretty strong willed, but I had cut her nursing down to like 5 min and then stopped so there wasn't much for her to miss.
|

replied April 13th, 2009
Weening at bedtime
Thank you Lesannb. I will definitely try the 5 min. nursing before bed and cutting him off and placing in bed while still somewhat awake. I do notice that with a sitter he does not fuss at nap time or bedtime it's just with me. The doctor assures me he will not starve or get dehydrated over night. Thanks again.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Stop Breastfeeding my 1 year old
Thank you Lesannb...I found this very helpful. My son will be 14 months in 2 days and is so attached to the breast. Whenever I talk about weening he seems to get more attached. He also only nurses at nap and bed time. I'm going to try your method and hopefully it works out for me. Because he has 4 teeth at the top and 2 at the bottom, and it's becoming painful. When he latches on he bites down extremely hard and aggressively.
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2009
I would ween her off with the sippie cup as TX Momy suggested.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
weening my one year old...
I am in the process of weening my daughter who just turned one. (My third child) I have cut her down to nursing at night time only. I don't let her fall asleep nursing, so that really helps me get some time to myself. I am going to approach stopping her nursing at night by making sure I feed her well before bed and provide her with the option of a sippie cup of warm milk when she wakes up at night in case she is hungry or thirsty. I think in the end you just have to get through it with them. Let them cry. (In my daughters case throw an all out fit!) I know it's emotionally so hard to do it, but I haven't figured out any easier methods! Just be prepared to go with very little sleep for a couple nights.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I bf my son for 6 months. At 5 months I started to wean. For about 3 weeks I only fed him at night when I got home. Then I began only giving him breastmilk in a bottle when I normally would breastfeed. I did the bottle feeding for about 2 weeks. Then replaced it with formula. He adjusted fine. But he did have his fussyness when I would get home and put him to bed. I just let him fuss. The more you give in the harder it is on the baby and you. Babies learn faster than we think. He/she will be fine within a week or 2
|

replied May 29th, 2009
just an idea
Hi =) I have a 12 month old and I'm actually on here looking for ideas myself. I just thought I would share with you what I've started to try. I'm filling her sippy cup with rice milk (she can't take milk) and then putting her projector on the sealing (homedics sound spa lullaby) and we rock while she drinks her rice milk. When she tries to root for my breast I kindly point to the sealing and lead the sippy cup to her mouth. We've been down to nursing \before nap's and bed time only since she was 7 months old which is 3/4 times in 24hrs. I've had to fight with her simply to get her to nurse to the point that she would only nurse if we were in her dark room with the sound machine on. The only problem with that is now that's the only way she knows how to relax before sleep, so we'll see how this new technique works. Just thought I would pass on the idea.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
sounds silly but my mother-in-law suggested I look in the farmers almanac and find out when tho ween calves off their mothers, I told my husband his mom was nuts but after several attemps that didn"t work I looked in the farmers almanac found the week for the month I was in, wore thick shirts, and let my husband sleep next to my 14 month old son, and within a week he was completely using a sippy cup. Hardly any fussing either. Could have been a coincidence but it worked!
|

replied April 30th, 2010
ive been wanting to ween my almost nine month baby off the boob, but he just woke take a bottle with formula. he will drink a bottle of juice or water, just not milk. i need to get to work and with him being a very fussy lil guy it''s hard to do anything. i have had others try feeding him the bottle, and he will suck it out but then he spits it from the side of his mouth. it''s horrible. does anyone have any advice for me???
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....