Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

High Cholesterol But Low Blood Pressure.

High all, I weigh 250 lbs however I am fairly physically fit. I do 5 and 10 k races. I can run a 5k in about 26 minutes. I am 36 years old.

I have high cholesterol. 309 and the doctor put me on and took me off lipitor. However my blood pressure is 123 / 62 and my pulse is 72 beats per minute at rest.

Most of the research that I see is for people with high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Should I still be worried about my cholesterol. I dont want to take the drugs ( lipitor ) becuase of its expense and because I dont like to take things that are not natural.

I currently started the atkins diet and have been doing well with that and I hope to cut my cholesterol through that diet.

However my biggest question is does anyone have any research for people with high cholesterol but low blood pressure.

Like stats about heart attacks and strokes etc ...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tommaciejewski
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Experienced User
I am in your same category... I'm a personaly believer that if your cholesterol is your only risk, then you don't have much of a risk for a heart attack. They say high cholesterol what.. Doubles your risk? So if your risk is very low initially.. And you had high cholesterol.. Then your risk is still pretty low. My mothers family has a history of normal blood pressure and high cholesterol.. And none of them have ever died of a heart problem that wasn't related to something else. My doc wanted to put me on meds and I refuse to go on them. I did manage to bring it down on my own though (was 247 last year.. Now 175). I would say if you have a family history of heart problems.. Then I would think about it, but otherwise I think those statins are overprescribed anyway..
|

replied June 2nd, 2005
Yes There Is Still a Risk
High cholesterol alone still puts you at risk of a heart attack simply because having high cholesterol causes the narrowing of your arteries, making the heart work much harder

there are many natural alternatives/supplements that can help to lower cholesterol. Some of these are reportedly more effective in lowering cholesterol than prescription medications, without the dangerous side effects

these include: guggul, policosanol, red yeast rice, pantethine etc. In addition there are at least another 30 natural supplements that can help to lower cholesterol. Hope that helps.

All the best

ramzi
|

replied March 6th, 2018
ridiculous; if your arteries were narrowed you could not maintain low blood pressure; how else do you think you get high blood pressure at low heart rates? magic?
|

replied March 9th, 2011
Niacin - 1500-2000 mg/day combined w/ low fat diet can help
Additionally, high doses of niacin is a natural cholesterol lowering remedy. 1500-2000 mg/day.
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Niacin Flush for lowering cholesterol.
But be aware of the "Niacin flush". Taking niacin will make your face and body feel itchy and hot. Your face will also turn pink. All of this lasts about 30-40 minutes if you can bear the sensation.
|

replied April 30th, 2011
niacin flush
Yes, but typically after a few days or weeks this sensation decreases and eventually ceases.
|

replied November 10th, 2011
No-Flush Niacin
Also, you can easily find "no-flush" niacin. I am currently taking this, but haven't been back to get my cholesterol checked since I started....
|

Also, you can easily find "no-flush" niacin. I am currently taking this, but haven't been back to get my cholesterol checked since I started....
|

|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2018
Cholesterol is an essential compound for every cell structure, and for proper functioning of brain and nerve system.
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2018
you are right that cholesterol is important for proper functioning but above a certain limit it is harmful.
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2018
Hi Tommaciejewski, it sounds weird that despite high cholesterol you have low BP. Even if you feel at risk, I think it would be better to work on safe diet plan and a mild workout as advised by Dr. Janet Brill who is nutrition, health and fitness expert. This would help to regulate any imbalances within your body.
|
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....