Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Marsupialization On the Outer Labium

I had a bartholin cyst which wasn't hurting but causing discomfort. My pcp suggestedd me to cut it open (he didn't even ask about the size of the cyst.) so I did marsupialization yesterday in my pcp's office. He didn't tell me the term of the procedure, but now it seems like marsupialization. After I got home, I noticed that the incision was made on the outer labium majus. I did a little research and found this link:

http://www.Aafp.Org/afp/980401ap/hill.Html

it says that a vertical elliptic incision should be made just inside or outside the hymenal ring (figure 4, left), but not on the outer labium majus. Now the incision seems closed and no dischage would come out even if I press on the swelling, and I am having a fever.

What would happen as the consequence of incising on the outer labium? I am so frustrated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2005
Same Problem!
I am going through the same thing right now. I had my 7th (!!) bartholyn's in the left gland a week ago. I had had one cyst in the right gland, which was marsupialized effectively, through a small incision the surgeon made inside the vaginal opening. That procedure went well and I returned to work 2 days later. However, this time around I went to a different hospital in a different city as I had recently moved. I wasn't given a play-by-play of the proposed marsupialization, but I assumed they would do the same procedure on this cyst as I had on the right side.

Turns out, the surgeon cut through the wall of the inner labium and into the outer labium majus. I am still in pain a week later, and the incision looks completely mangled, with non-degradable stiches used (last time they used bio-absorbable stitches). I'm ready to march back to the surgeon tomorrow and demand to know why this surgery was performed in this way. I think you should do the same. But first, I think you should seek medical advice immediately regarding your fever! Very important. I will post again with the results of my quest for answers!...
|

I had one 2 years ago, and had it removed a few days before christmas. The gyno said I could have it removed in the office or surgically in the hospital. I chose the hospital because I had a bad experience before with having a procedure done in the office. The cyst was about the size and hardness of a gumball. It was right by where you pee. (labia? Sorry I don't know all the terms! Lol). After the surgery, the doc said it was a good thing I had it removed in the hospital because not only was it the size of a gumball, but it went about 4 inches deep in my pelvis. I was in a lot of pain for about a week because it was healing and it itched like you know what. The doc said to keep the area clean, each time before you pee, fill up a water bottle with warm water and johnson's baby wash (yes, I know weird, but it helped). Not only does it keep the area clean from infection but it helped with the itching. I would suggest going to a different doctor and get a second opinion. Its funny because I told my new gyno that my old gyno removed it, and she was shocked by it. She said that they aren't supposed to be removed. I was like well, it was very uncomfortable, and she said that should be the only reason it was removed. I also requested a biopsy done on it. It came back of course noncancerous. Hope you get better. I would suggest getting put on antibiotics especially if you have a fever, there could be an infection, and going to a different doctor.
|

I had one 2 years ago, and had it removed a few days before christmas. The gyno said I could have it removed in the office or surgically in the hospital. I chose the hospital because I had a bad experience before with having a procedure done in the office. The cyst was about the size and hardness of a gumball. It was right by where you pee. (labia? Sorry I don't know all the terms! Lol). After the surgery, the doc said it was a good thing I had it removed in the hospital because not only was it the size of a gumball, but it went about 4 inches deep in my pelvis. I was in a lot of pain for about a week because it was healing and it itched like you know what. The doc said to keep the area clean, each time before you pee, fill up a water bottle with warm water and johnson's baby wash (yes, I know weird, but it helped). Not only does it keep the area clean from infection but it helped with the itching. I would suggest going to a different doctor and get a second opinion. Its funny because I told my new gyno that my old gyno removed it, and she was shocked by it. She said that they aren't supposed to be removed. I was like well, it was very uncomfortable, and she said that should be the only reason it was removed. I also requested a biopsy done on it. It came back of course noncancerous. Hope you get better. I would suggest getting put on antibiotics especially if you have a fever, there could be an infection, and going to a different doctor.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...