Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Arthroscopic Surgery of the Hip?

Hi everyone,
i am new to this forum.
Besides osteoarthritis, I have menieres disease and have found much helpful information on that website. It was actually a lifesaver for me.
I hope I am as lucky here.

I have osteoarthritis of both hips, the sacroiliac joint and the lower back.
I am in pain much of the time, but mornings are better for me.
I have been told the arthritis is mild to moderate, so I was wondering if there is something I can do now, before things get worse.

Has anyone had arthroscopic surgery of the hip? Was it successful?
How about vitamins, do they help? I have heard about glucosamine and chondroitin. Do they really do what they claim? I also can't seem to find an exercise to do that doesn't hurt some part of me. Any suggestions?

Please help. It feels good just to talk to someone about this.
Thanks for being here. I wish you all good days and relief from pain.
Lori
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 1st, 2004
Diagnosed Exactly First
For you have osteoarthritis of both hips, the sacroiliac joint and the lower back, I think you should take more tests to make sure that if it is ankylosing spondylitis,which is also called bamboo spine, or other diseases. But for you, at any circumstances, analgesic should be used first.
|

replied August 1st, 2004
Thank you for your reply.

I looked up the information on ankylosing spondylitis, and I did not seem to fit the description. I am 52, female and it does not run in my family.

I hurt my back from excercising with weights, but the osteoarthritis just developed. It hurts especially in the front of the hips where the hip meets the pelvic bone, and also in the buttocks. I also get some pain in the shoulders, wrists, feet and knees. I also have bursitis. When I was younger, I developed dekerveins disease (not sure if I spelled that right) in both wrists, but it eventually went away. I think I am prone to inflamed tendons and joints. Do you still think the diagnosis fits?

I am interested to know more about the analgesic. Where do I get it? In a pharmacy or herbal supplement store?

Thanks for your help.
Lori
|

replied August 6th, 2004
Now it doesn`t really fit ankylosing spondylitis.
You have backache and it hurts also in the buttocks.
I think first you should be sure that it has no connection with degenerative lumbar disk disease.
As to inflamed tendons and joints and about the analgesic.
In a pharmacy or herbal supplement store can you get it.
But attention most analgesic is a bit harm for stomach.

Did you have x-ray of hip joint?
|

replied August 7th, 2004
Yes, I did have an x-ray and mri of the hips. It showed mild to moderate osteoarthritis bilaterally with subchondral sclerosis, cyst formation and marginal osteophytes, and some loss of joint space. Mild degenerative changes of the left more than right sacroiliac joints with mild degenerative changes of the lumbar spine and facets. Phleboliths in the anterolateral hemipelvis. The labrum is degenerated in left hip.

Sounds very technical because I took the wording right off of the study.
I don't really understand what a lot of that means.

Thanks for your help.
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....