Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

the Pill & Regulating Your Period

My physician told me "if you go on the pill, you'll only bleed for 2 days a month." granted, I think she was exaggerating, but I wanted to know--how effectively has the pill regulated you gals' periods? I'd like to start using the pill, because currently, my periods are extremely unpleasant and seem to be getting more frequent.

My cycle tends to vary, but is rarely over 23 days long. This month, I had 2 periods, and i'm really pulling my hair out. By two periods, by the way, I mean that five and a half days after I stopped bleeding, I began another period (just as heavy as ever). Mad

what would you suggest I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 27th, 2004
Experienced User
I have been on the pill for 14 years, it does regulate you, I believe each pill works diferently, when I first started taking the pill I cant rememeber the name but anyway I had my period for 3 days a month and was very light mild cramping now I am on ortho tri cyclen and have been for a long time I have my period maybe 4 days with no cramping, the only time I have break through bleeding is if I miss a few but other than that I have never had any problems and also I have my period the same time every month, also being on the pill can also prevent cervical cancer there are a lot of benefits from taking the pill. If you talked to your doctor about the irregularity of your periods, then I would give it a try, every women is different and each pill works differently but for me I have never had a problem .
|

replied June 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Ive been on 5 types of pills over 3 years.The one im on now is progesteren only and ive been on it about 2 years and ive had no regular periods.Ive had spotting and painful cramps every once in a while but havent had anything for about 8months now.My doctor worries that I dont have periods because its not healthy for a young woman not to.It doesnt bother me-i like it :d but I hope it wont ruin my fertility.Anyways,you should try a solution if you have very irregular periods
|

replied June 29th, 2004
I was on b.C. Pill tri-leven over 11 years and just went off last month. After being on it a bit my periods were only three days, one day being very light. I got it exactly every 28 days (i could plan vacations one year in advance around them if I wanted to.) I also took my pills so that I only had my period on tue-thur, so I did not have my period on even one weekend ever in the last 11 years!! I mostly went on it becuase of the severe mentrual cramps I had. It made it so that my cramps were probably like normal peoples were--managable. I loved the pill. I only went off to try for a baby soon.

Good luck!!
|

replied June 30th, 2004
I was on b.C. Pill tri-leven over 11 years and just went off last month. After being on it a bit my periods were only three days, one day being very light. I got it exactly every 28 days (i could plan vacations one year in advance around them if I wanted to.) I also took my pills so that I only had my period on tue-thur, so I did not have my period on even one weekend ever in the last 11 years!! I mostly went on it becuase of the severe mentrual cramps I had. It made it so that my cramps were probably like normal peoples were--managable. I loved the pill. I only went off to try for a baby soon.

Good luck!!
|

replied July 3rd, 2004
Wow, thanks for the input guys. I just talked with my physician briefly on the phone, and she scheduled me for my first visit to the gynecologist, which will be coming up soon. She said that she thinks I am bleeding too much (though my test results from a few months ago said that I was not anemic). Every other cycle or so, though, I get horrific cramps, and I do bleed an awful lot. She told me she recommends the pill.

My current problem--my mother (i'm a poor college student who still lives at home, pity) absolutely does not want me to be on the pill. This is due mostly to the fact that I currently am in a relationship. Rolling Eyes

i understand that my mom, as a parent, wants to discourage sexual activity, but my periods have become such a damned nuisance. I can't stand bleeding every 5--15 days, and the seemingly permanent pms that i've been enduring. So I don't know what to do!
|

replied July 3rd, 2004
Well it is obviously for medical reasons. You have to do what is best for your body. Just explain to your mom in this day and age you must use condoms to have sex to prevent disease. That is not what the pill is for. If your mother won't let you get it through her insurance, go the free clinic and they will give you a 12 month supply and free exam for only a small donation.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I have read a lot of your posts on b/c pills, patches, shots and all, this would seem to me that it might go against your system, not only for now but years down the road everyone now seems to bleed too much or not enough! Years ago I was on the pill, I never had any problems like you do now, not only because of the b/c but I had a lot of cramps. I am not saying to get off your b/c devices, that is for sure, but if I were you all, I would be asking a heck of a lot of questions!
Siincerely,
sandy
|

replied July 6th, 2004
travelgirl913 wrote:
well it is obviously for medical reasons. You have to do what is best for your body. Just explain to your mom in this day and age you must use condoms to have sex to prevent disease. That is not what the pill is for. If your mother won't let you get it through her insurance, go the free clinic and they will give you a 12 month supply and free exam for only a small donation.

Good luck.

yea. I go to visit the gynecologist in 2 days to have a pelvic exam & discuss my problem and the options I have (the main option, of course, being the pill). I'm going to talk to my mom about it after my appointment. At the moment she absolutely, positively does not want me on birth control...Even if it is for regulating my period. ("you're not having sex!! You're not having sex until marriage!") as far as sex goes, seeing that I am in a serious relationship, I think that going on the pill would be the responsible thing to do.
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Hey, I just started taking yasmin, I am now on the beginning of my second month on the pills. The first month I got my period at 2:00 a.M. Friday and it was gone by sunday night. I was amazed that it worked so fast. I didn't think it was going to affect my first month. Hope I helped.
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Umm, only bleed two days a month? I have never ever heard that.
But, hey good for you gals who only do. I was on triphasil for seven years, bleed for five days a month. All of the other ones I tried, I bleed five days a month, except for ortho_ I bleed all month.
Now, I am on nordette and I only bleed 3-4. It all depends on your pill, if you take it correctly, and on your body.
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Bleeding 2 days a month is possible but uncommon. I am on marvelon (called desogen in the states) and I do, however - I only bled for 3 days (4 days on a really heavy period) before I went on the pill.
~laura
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...