Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

I Just Found Out I Have Cysts On My Ovaries And Im Scared

Im 25 years old and iv had irregular periods since I was 16. My periods stop coming all together at the age of 18. Iv been going to different doctors for the past seven years and no one could tell me what was wrong, Dr.S just kept on giving me birth control pills to regulate my system. So recently I went back to the Dr. For pelvic pain. They gave my a ultrasound and sonograhm, then informed me that I had multiple cysts on both ovaries. I cried for two days straight because I was very scared of the possibility that I wont be able to bare a child or even lose my ovaries. Im so scared right now I give myself a headach just thinking about it so much. My hubby is very supportive right now, but im trying to get some advice from individuals that has been through this or knows some one who has. Anything you can say to me will be greatly appreciated. I dont know what to expect and I dont know what to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest42374
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I would love to help you, but do you know what caused these cysts? Or are they just the kind that come on for no reason? Have you been tested for endometriosis? You should.
Are they planning on removing your cysts, or leaving them there?
It is good that your hubby is supportive. Easier said than done, but try not to stress yet. At least wait until you find out what is causing them, if anything. They may not be anything serious. But, if you keep stressing you are just going to make yourself sick and cause yourself more pain.
I have a cyst on my right ovary that has been there for at least four years. The doctor told me just to not worry about it. They think I have endo, but I don't have insurance, so I haven't actually had the test to see if I do or not. Plus, it really doesn't matter at this point in my life whether I do or not, because I don't want it cut out. I can live with the pain.
Good luck.
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Experienced User
I too have cysts on my ovary, I was very nervous when I found out, but my doctor told me not to worry about it that it basically common in women infact that most women do have cysts on there ovaries, exspecially after there period, the only time to be concerned is if they reach a certain size then theyll take them off I wouldnt be to upset , as far as having a child I dont think it will stop you from having any, the reason I can say this is because my aunt is trying and went through a series of test and she too has cysts her are a little bigger but her obgyn told her it wouldnt stop her from having a child, I hope this helps,
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Experienced User
Bootsie is right, to a degree, women having cysts in their ovaries is a normal function of how the ovaries work (the egg is contained in a cyst for a while before it is released, and then the cyst usually becomes reabsorbed). However, there is a condition, called polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos for short) that alters hormonal cycles and a number of other things. I'm suspecting, due to your irregularity of period, that this is what your doctor told you about.

It's a newer syndrome, so there isn't tons and tons of information on it, and it generally has much to do with your endocrine system (which is the system responsible for a whole slew of hormones). Most gyns that know enough about pcos suggest seeing an endocrinologist as they're the best able to treat it, but understand that it's so new a syndrome that exactly what needs to be done isn't absolute. Some doctors will prescribe birth control pills, (but that only regulates periods, it doesn't help with the other symptoms) while increasingly research is showing that using bcp or other related hormonal therapies only mask and in some cases exacerbate the disease. Pcos can affect your ability to have children, but then i've known of some women who have pcos who have, and are able to have, kids.

Truth be told there are still many doctors out there who really don't know a whole lot about pcos, so if one doctor doesn't seem to be up to snuff on it, then try to find another. And finding a good endocrinologist is a really good idea.

This website here: www.Pcosupport.Org is a really awesome place to learn about it, and they do have a forum there with women who have it... A good place to read and learn. I do think they have a place with doctor recomendations, so you might want to check it out and see what doctors or other resources are available. I know of one pcos clinic, it's in pennsylvania, which may or may not help you.

Good luck.
|

replied June 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
As I said, it could be nothing. But, it all depends on what kind of cysts you have, what size, how many, and if there is an underlying problem causing them. Getting a cyst on one ovary or one on both is normal during your cycle as long as they go away after your period. But having a bunch of cysts on your ovaries definately could be a problem, or it could not. You will have to find out more about your specific condition before drawing any conclusions. One of my friends had a cyst on one of her ovaries and had to have her ovary removed. So, although, cysts are normal in some women, this does not mean to just accept it and move on. You need to find out what is best for you. But, like I said, don't worry until you find out more. Good luck!
|

replied June 28th, 2004
Thanx For Your Response
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate all of your replies. To answer a few of your questions; I havent had any test done yet to find out what kind of cysts they are, I have been continually on birth control because of my hormonal imbalance, ive always had problems with my periods being late or absent. I truly pray for the best outcome and I just hope that youll pray for me, and again thank you very much.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...