I had my first seizure when I was 15 in the back of my dad's car. First off...Not fun times. Later I was diagnosed and put on topamax and, along with many other side effects, I started hiccupping once every half an hour. So I got taken off topamax and went on lamictal. Many of my side effects went away except for the hiccups! They were less frequent though. I went from one every half an hour to about one an hour. Now I have lived with this weird constant hiccup for about 3 years. I have given up wondering if it will every go away and I have learned to deal with the stares, the snickers, and the laughs. All I want to know is...Is there anyone out there that hiccups as well?? I mean one person that knows what I go through day in and day out. When I told my neurologist about the hiccupping problem, he said it was weird and he'd never heard about it before. But, please is there someone else here with me on this?
~granola-hippy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Vagus Nerve Stimulator Therapy
May cure your hiccup disease...

I know hiccup is a very annoying experience... The only thing I can help you is (since u said u continuosly having hiccup problems... Everyday)

trying to implant a vagus nerve stimulator inside your body...

(please go to google news and type, "vns therapy" for additional info)

and please note because I can't post any link here...

I wish you good luck with your seizure and/or hiccups.
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Hiccups...
Hi there my best friend age of 16 is epileptic she has the same problem with the hiccups. Hers start about every half hour and last for about 5-10 min.. And she is on a real high dose of topamax...
She was getting really freaked out about it..
If u find anything out plz let me kno....
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Go to Google News Type: Vns Therapy
Then u will find an article a man had the same hiccup problems like your friend (but he is much worst than you, he had experienced hiccups for more than 20 years...)

once the vagus nerve stimulator device was implemanted inside his body, his 20 years, devastating, hiccups problems were over!

I hope your friend should try the vns therapy if other drugs didn't do well for him or her...

Why not give your friend a try to vns therapy?
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Vns Therapy..not As Good As They Sound
This is not as good as it may sound..
My friends mom is also and eptelptic..Her mother had, had the vagus nerve stimulation surgery done..And its not all peaches and cream... They say that it makes ur mood better, and it changes they way u think..Her moods got worse and she begain to be more suicidel.. They only way to stop the seizure is by waving the magnet over the battery..So yeah it will stop u from having a seizure if you feel it coming on..But if you dont fell the seizure coming then there is no way in stopping it.. For some yeah it may be good if u have someone else around u at all times, that knows how to act while u go into a seizure and how to correctly use the magnet....
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Vns Therapy: Not Completely Cure:
Hi there,

statistics show that vns therapy works for 33% of patients with gradual recovery of seizures, 33% of patients with mood improve and 33% of patients have seizures remained and may become worst... (time also play an important role, some patients with vns treatment in 2 years, some in 1 year...)

so that really depends if the patient is "lucky or not"

good luck!
|

replied May 18th, 2010
Intractable hiccups
Yes, I have had a hiccup every twenty minutes for the past year now. my doctors have no clue and now they are testing to see if it is a form of epilepsy
|
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....