Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gout Diet Forum

Gout Cured After 27 Years (Page 1)

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
For 27 years I saw numerous doctors and took heavy doses of gout medicine, yet my gout was getting worse and worse. Then I accidentally cured it by drink baking soda in water 2 years ago. Ever since, I have stopped taking gout medicine and been on unrestricted diet, yet my gout has not returned. The irony is that when I was on gout medicine my blood uric acid level was low but I had endless gout attacks. Now I have stopped taking gout medicine and my blood uric level is high, yet there is no gout attack. Best regards.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JYY2
|

replied May 21st, 2005
Thank You!
Gout runs in my family on my father's side. My dad used to use dmso on it and swore it helped the best, but since that is a byproduct of the timber industry and is usually only available through animal hospitals and not for human use, I will not consider it.

I was first diagnosed this feb 05, days after being told by my employer that the company was closing down. I am a stress-eater, so I imagine I was a gout attack just waiting to happen. I did not visit this web site until my second attack, just 3 weeks after recovering from the first attack (the first being in my left big toe, the second in my right mid-foot and ankle). My Dr. Put me on allopurinol after the 1st attack, so I stayed on it during the second. I am also taking naproxin for inflammation and pain.

I have hypertension (high blood pressure) so was a little cautious regarding the baking soda, but decided to try it anyway. The redness went away in 24 hrs, and the intense pain started diminishing almost as fast. I was left with a lingering soreness which was not a problem at all. My blood pressure remained normal. I took 1/2 teaspoon in am and 1/2 teaspoon in pm - about 12 hrs apart.

Foolish, because I was feeling so good, I quit the soda (can not stand the taste!) and went to do water aerobics. Boom! After the second aerobic session in two days the pain was back in booth feet! Well, I am back on my soda, resting and elevating, and the pain is subsiding.

It seems each of us must find our own way with this problem, but I do thank you for sharing about the soda because it has been helpful for me finding my way in dealing with gout.

Ps-i posted the question regarding gout and gastric bypass. I have not had the surgery but was considering it.

Kingsmonarch
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
Baking Soda
I went to my doctor friday for routine blood test because of the allopurinol medicine. I told him about the baking soda that you say cured you of gout. He said no way could it do that. He said first the baking soda would go to the stomach and neutralize the acid there, then it would go thru the intestines and be eliminated, he said it would never even get into the blood stream. I said the person said it cured his gout, he said no, he cured his gout by changing his diet and not drinking alcohol. I guess doctors only believe what they learn in med school.
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Hi, kingsmonark, I am very glad baking soda in water helped you resolve the gout attack. I am wondering how much more effective was your treatment of the second attack (with baking soda in water) as compared with the treatment of the first attack (without bs). You may like to take low dose colchicine or nsaid with allopurinol for a few months to prevent possible attacks. More info on how to take allopurinol can be found in paragraph 4.8 of http://www.Icuredmygout.Org . I will respond to your gastric bypass post in the separate thread. Thank you for your info and take care.

Hi, jhm, thank you for sharing the info with us. I think it was in our junior high chemistry class we were taught that our stomach split salt (nacl, sodium chloride) in water into stomach juice (hcl, hydrochloric acid) and lye (naoh, sodium hydroxide); lye is then combined with co2 to form baking soda (nahco3, sodium bicarbonate) -- i.E., nacl + h2o ---> hcl + naoh, naoh + co2 ---> nahco3. It is correct baking soda gets neutralized by stomach juice. But in order to compensate for the "lost" stomach juice that is used to neutralize baking soda, the stomach produces extra stomach juice, as well as extra nahco3 -- which is discharged into the blood stream and raise the the blood ph. Eventually nahco3 in the blood is filtered through the kidneys and raises the urine ph. Doctors do prescribe sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise the urine ph to prevent uric acid stones. If baking soda "would never even get into the blood stream", how could it get to the kidneys and alkalize the urine? I would replace your statement "i guess doctors only believe what they learn in med school" with " ...Doctors sometimes forget what they were taught in med school".

As to "he cured his gout by changing his diet and not drinking alcohol", my responses are: 1) the amount of alcohol I drank is about the same before and after I cured my gout. 2) I think by "changing his diet" he meant I switched to low purine diet -- which is far from the truth. I do reduce the intake of acidic foods and drinks, but I have been on high purine diet before and after I cured my gout. It is a myth to me that low purine diet prevent recurrent gout attacks. I have not seen any data that support the myth. In my opinion, the myths such as low purine diet prevent recurrent gout attacks, distract gout patients and cause them the unnecessary suffering. To date, among the 152 users who responded to my survey said it is "extremely useful" (56%), "very useful" (15%), or "useful" (15%) to treat and prevent gout with baking soda in water.
|
Users who thank JYY2 for this post: royalmusky  Grizzled 

replied October 6th, 2015
JYY2 thank you very much for your great explanations of how baking soda works. You are helping many people.I had my first attack 2 days ago and found your post and took baking soda and got almost immediate relief. Thank you again.

Jim
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Hi jyy2,
I agree with you about the purines in the diet. I have checked many reccommended low purine diets, and with the exception of organ meats, I find all kinds of discrepancies. Do not drink milk, drink milk, eat white flour products, do not eat white flour products........My blood ph was 4.6 from the test friday. If someone is on allopurinol, would the baking soda lower the ph too much? Thanks!
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Experienced User
Normal range for the blood ph is 7.35~7.45, for the blood uric acid level is 3.5~7 mg/dl. By "my blood ph was 4.6" I think you meant "my blood uric acid level is 4.6" which is what docs like to see in gout patients. Taking 10 grams (2 tsp.) a day of baking soda can lower the blood uric acid level by about 1 mg/dl in a healthy person. I don't know what it can do to you. You may be able to figure it out from your records.
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Yes, you are right. I meant uric acid level.
|

replied May 27th, 2005
Thanks jyy2:

yes, my dr gave me an rx for colchicine since I had three attacks in three months. I am not to take it until the next acute attack. I am to continue on the allopurinol and naproxin for now.

It took 2-1/2 weeks for the first attack (without baking soda) to let up (taking naproxin and lots of water per Dr.) it has been one week since the onset of the last attack (took baking soda) and I am pain-free today. This is a clear improvement. :p I did a little "water walking" in the pool yesterday, so am slowly building up my exercise level as well.
|

replied June 1st, 2005
Re: Gout Cured After 27 Years
jyy2 wrote:
for 27 years I saw numerous doctors and took heavy doses of gout medicine, yet my gout was getting worse and worse. Then I accidentally cured it by drink baking soda in water 2 years ago. Ever since, I have stopped taking gout medicine and been on unrestricted diet, yet my gout has not returned. The irony is that when I was on gout medicine my blood uric acid level was low but I had endless gout attacks. Now I have stopped taking gout medicine and my blood uric level is high, yet there is no gout attack. My webpage: http://www.Icuredmygout.Org describes my gout experiences as well as gout causes, diet, prevention, and the cure. Please post your comments so other readers can benefit from them. Best regards. ( I am not selling anything.)

hi, I had read you webpage. And really great to hear there is actually a cure for gout. Just a question, do you need to take soda daily just like those pill.

And in my country, there is those can drink like coke or pesi but is soda, do you know if we can take that instead of mixing ourself ?

Thankyou.
|

replied June 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
Baking soda in water is not a treatment for gout in mainstream medicine. I just accidentally found it to be extremely useful for my gout. I have not read about how much or how long can a person take it to treat gout. First time I used it I took it for 2 weeks. Then I stopped it for weeks or months. Now I take it on and off when I feel like it. I have no problem with it in past 3 years.

Although soft drinks like coke, pepsi, 7-up,.., are often called soda pops, they do not contain baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Carbon dioxide is pumped into the drink to make bubbles, which turns into carbonic acid. These drinks have a ph of 2~3 and are very bad for gout.
|

replied June 9th, 2005
jyy2 wrote:
baking soda in water is not a treatment for gout in mainstream medicine. I just accidentally found it to be extremely useful for my gout. I have not read about how much or how long can a person take it to treat gout. First time I used it I took it for 2 weeks. Then I stopped it for weeks or months. Now I take it on and off when I feel like it. I have no problem with it in past 3 years.

Although soft drinks like coke, pepsi, 7-up,.., are often called soda pops, they do not contain baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Carbon dioxide is pumped into the drink to make bubbles, which turns into carbonic acid. These drinks have a ph of 2~3 and are very bad for gout.

thanks for the reply.

I mean those can drink that we mix with brandy. And it contain purely sodium bicarbonate and carbonated water only.

Thanks again.
|

replied June 9th, 2005
Experienced User
I don't know what exactly is in the drink you have mentioned. To be sure, mix your own baking soda in water.
|

replied June 10th, 2005
jyy2 wrote:
i don't know what exactly is in the drink you have mentioned. To be sure, mix your own baking soda in water.

thanks
|

replied July 14th, 2005
Hi jyy2,

i'm in my early 40s and had my first attack of gout a few months back. It started in one big toe then a few days later I got it in the the other foot aswell. To make things worse I injured my ankles whilst trying to walk and ended up on crutches for a couple of weeks! I still have residiual soreness and stiffness in both big toe joints. I discovered your website and have started on the baking soda to try and eliminate the stiffness completely. It seems to be having some effect. I've also given up coffee because I noticed the soreness reduced when I stopped drinking it for a few days and returned once back on it.

I have question regarding the action of baking soda: if the uric acid crystals are usually coated in a protein, doesn't this act as a buffer,preventing them from dissolving in the blood even if the ph is increased by bs?

Thanks again for all the info you've provided on this subject - it's been a great help.

Regards
wilhm
|

replied July 20th, 2005
Here's a Random Tip...
My dad and my grandpa both have really bad outbursts of gout. My grandpas gone to the doctor a million times but is always on alot of different medications, so everything seems to counteract. My dad has never gone to the doctor for it, but randomly (not sure how this happened really) he discovered that taking midol helps. My dad thinks it might be because it's a mild dieretic (sp?) but who knows... He's been using it for years though and swears by it. Thought it might be worth something to somebody

erin
|

replied September 8th, 2005
Baking Soda Is Working For Me.
The baking soda treatment is working for me. I have had 4 attacks of gout in the last 2 years. The last attack hit my left knee... I was sick of the meds the doctor gave me, and started looking for alternative treatments. I found this article by a doctor, and gave the baking soda a try.

curezone.Com/clark/ph.Asp

after three days the pain, and most of the swelling was gone. I'm going to take 1/2 tsp of baking soda every night, I believe it's the reason the gout left so quick.
|

replied October 4th, 2005
Thanks Jyy
Hi all,

i got a gout attack about 13 days ago and is my first one. This weekend I try to read as much as I could about gout and I was getting crazy: don't eat this!! Eat that!!! Etc, etc, the only thing that made sense was what I read on jyy's page about baking soda. Yesterday the pain on my right toe was as bad as at the beginning of the attack. The doctor prescribed me colchicine and the only thing I got from it was big side effects and even I lost 5 kilos in one night because of the diarrhoea (what a way to loose weight!!!). I decided to give a try to the baking soda last night and this morning the pain almost disappeared. I haven't changed my diet much, the only thing that I stopped and that maybe triggered my gout was alcohol, it's been almost one month since I decided no to drink alcohol any more.

I feel lucky that I came across with jyy's page and good to know that baking soda is helping a lot of people with the agonizing pain produced by gout.

Thanks jyy.
|

replied October 7th, 2005
Experienced User
I am very glad your gout attack has subsided overnight. May I ask, when did you start taking colchicine and at what dosage? And, when did you stop drinking alcohol -- a month ago or the day you took baking soda? I am trying to understand more about gout and baking soda. Thanks.
|

replied November 15th, 2011
dear jyy2 this may help
This page on gout and baking soda was last reviewed on 6 July 2010
If you get baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) into your gout diet you add a well known alkalizing agent to it. It's the classic home remedy for gout and the good news is that it gets many rave reviews from gout sufferers. It may well raise your pH level and alleviate or even end your gout attack. For many people for whom this works it usually begins to happen quickly - sometimes virtually immediately, often within 24 hours, and at least within a week.

It's even been reported to reduce tophi, but you should note that even beneficiaries get different results.

Dosage Bicarbonate of soda is cheap and the remedy is an-easy-to-prepare part of a gout diet. Use half a teaspoon filled to the top of the spoon’s ridge, not above, (you don’t want a "mountain" of it in the spoon) with eight fluid ounces of water. (Or use measuring spoons). Make sure it dissolves completely in the water. Take, normally, four times a day, which includes one dose before bedtime. The body is said to be more acidic at night. Is it just a coincidence that many gout attacks happen after midnight and before daylight?

Some people find that even a 1/4 teaspoon serving four times a day can deal with their gout attack, and if you can, so much the better, because of the high amount of sodium.

Warning! Baking soda may not be your natural gout cure. It MUST ONLY BE TRIED with your doctor’s approval since this could have many side effects including high blood pressure, headaches, appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, stomach pains and others. Baking soda is high in sodium, so cut down your salt intake as much as possible if taking it. Gout attacks raise blood pressure, and so does excess sodium. Get a regular blood pressure reading.

Moreover people with heart, kidney, and liver disease, and appendicitis should not try it, without their doctor's agreement. It is contraindicated with some prescription medicines. Take too much for too long and you could get alkalosis.So speak to your doctor first. It should not be taken when the stomach is too full. An empty stomach is better. There's more about sodium bicarbonate dosage on our 2nd sodium bicarb page.

WHY DOES BAKING SODA (BICARBONATE OF SODA) WORK SO OFTEN?

Sir Alfred Garrod, the Britishman who discovered that an excess of uric acid in the blood is the cause of gout in the mid 19th century, was a practicing gout doctor who ended his career as a physician to Queen Victoria. He also wrote The Nature and Treatment of Gout and Rheumatic Gout.

In this book he explained he believed in alkalising (alkalizing) the blood, or as we would put it today, raising blood pH. These are his key statements about it:

"Any diminution in the alkaline state of the blood lessens its power of holding urate of soda (uric acid) in solution and hence promotes its deposition, especially in tissues in which the reaction is naturally less alkaline than in the blood."

And another:

"The causes exciting a gouty fit (i.e. flare) are those which induce a less alkaline condition of the blood, or which greatly augment for the time, the formation of uric acid, or such as temporarily check the eliminating power of the kidneys."

Sodium bicarbonate alkalises (alkalizes) the blood (by removing hydrogen ions), and this is the key. The blood is able to hold more uric acid without crystallising (crystallizing). And when this happens crystal deposition ceases, or better said, usually ceases, because baking soda doesn't always halt gout attacks. Moreover, in some mysterious way, deposited crystals often begin to dissolve.

Or, if you take bicarbonate of soda in water before an impending gout attack, your blood is further alkalised (alkalized) - remember blood is always maintained by the body as slightly alkaline - and crystallisation (crystallization) is halted in the manner described by Garrod. Morever, higher blood alkalinity makes uric acid more soluble, as does drinking plenty of water.

Although Sir Alfred used bicarbonate of soda in some gout cases, you'll be surprised to learn that generally he did not. And it wasn't because of the sodium. The reason was - he thought he had stronger alkalising (alkalizing) agents than baking soda - ones that today have been forgotten in gout treatment.

Note the cautions above about using it, and discuss with your doctor before using it.

It may also raise other body fluid pH levels,such as the pH of synovial fluid in joints. If it works to raise your pH levels, and/or if your blood and urine uric acids levels fall, you’ll probably avoid restricting those foods which are more acidic. But of this doesn’t happen you may have to bite the bullet and restrict acid foods, eat more alkaline foods, or focus on another remedy.

Online poll In an online poll about baking soda and gout, about 85% of respondents say that it's of value, or great value, and only about 15% do not find it of value. Some doctors reportedly don't think so either. So baking soda is not the cure-all for gout.

Alkalize urine Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) can do one more useful thing. It can make your urine more alkaline, and thus uric acid is more readily excreted. And this is helpful in avoiding kidney stones made from uric acid or made from a combination of uric acid and calcium oxalate. Use pH test strips to test the alkalinity of your urine. But potasium citrate has been more studied in this question and is probably better.

OTHER ALKALIZING AGENTS

Baking soda in water is not the only alkalizing agent. Other alkalizing products you can take as part of your gout diet are:

Herbal tinctures contain those herbs which remove acids. The best for gout sufferers are tinctures which have an alcohol free base because you should avoid alcohol as much as possible.

Dietary supplements There are supplements which neutralise the acid in foods and beverages before you eat or drink them. Others restrict acid build up in the body.

Alkaline water drops You can drink alkaline water. To make alkaline water you put two drops of an alkaline concentrate into a glass of plain water, and it’s changed to alkaline water. Five glasses of alkaline water are recommended daily. Gout diets usually say you need at least eight glasses of water daily. Alkaline water enables you to drink less water.

Water ionizers You can make alkaline water at home with a water ionizer which makes them a natural home remedy for gout. Alkaline (ionized) water is water with excess oxygen in the form of OH-, not O2. It's described as being lively and much tastier than regular water. The best water ionizers adjust for the overall quality of water supply input. By so doing, they produce a correct pH level, irrespective of water supply quality, water pressure and flow rate.

These products are not known to cause side effects.

BAKING SODA, GOUT AND KIDNEY DISEASE

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is very under researched in gout and other disease treatments. But things may be looking up. In July 2009 The Journal of the American Society of Nephrology published, on its website, the results of a study at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London, Great Britain. The study looked at the effect of baking soda on 134 patients with kidney disease and metabolic acidosis (low bicarbonate level). The effect of sodium bicarbonate on kidney disease had not been studied before.

Gout and kidney disease are associated mainly because uric acid levels can rise, if kidney functioning is impaired.

The chief finding in this study was that kidney disease progressed rapidly in only 9% of patients given baking soda, compared to 45% of those who did not receive it. And study patients who took sodium bicarbonate were less likely to reach the stage where they required dialysis.

Hopefully the positive results from this study will encourage research into gout and baking soda. Read the study abstract here
|

replied October 13th, 2005
Hi Jyy
I stopped drinking alcohol exactly one month ago and the gout attack started 2 weeks after that. I went to the doctor 4 days after the attack and she prescribed colchicine, two tablets the first time and one tablet every 2 hours, I checked on the internet about the drug and was recommended no to swallow more than 16 tablets. I started having bad side effects after the 13th tablet so I stopped anyway.

Colchicine didn't do much for me really, only bad side effects, even the doctor was surprised the drug didn't work. That weekend was long weekend here in australia so I could stay at home without having to walk too much. I decided to try baking soda and I bought ibuprofen and the pain was almost gone on the next day.

I went back to see my doctor for my blood test and she prescribed something stronger instead of ibuprofen, i'm now swallowing voltaren 50:
(diclofenac sodium 50 mg), I take 100mg per day. Unfortunately I have to walk a lot at work and my big toe still a little bit swollen but without much pain. I'm still drinking baking soda and using voltaren. This is my third week since the attack.

It seems to be that many factors triggered my gout attack, all at the same time : we are in spring in australia now; drastic changes in my life (stopped drinking alcohol); started drinking vegi juices in the mornings which are 80% tomato juice; I have always had high levels of uric acid and no looking after the food I eat.

Seems to be that bs is doing well and i'll try to look after my diet ,i've been reading a lot about alkaline diets, eat more vegetables I think.

See you later
cheers dfranco
|

replied October 13th, 2005
Hi folks,
oh, the dreaded gout! I've been suffering with this off and on since I was 25 years old (now 40). At first, colchicine and indocin was prescribed. Colchicine is absolutely worthless.. I remember one episode in my early 30s at a superbowl party, not drinking, but visiting the toilet every 10 minutes and feeling like I was going to die... Luckily, it was a bad game (think denver won). Gout got worse over the period. What a bad deal.

Then came allopurinol, which I have had major success on now since 1997. I have had only a half dozen mild attacks since then, and most of these were due to excessive beer binges.

I have now since given up the alcohol altogether.. Funny thing about gout is that you think it's punishment for gluttonous sins, then you realize, it gets you when you are as clean as a monk on organic veges. It definitely is an equal opportunity attacker.. 8 weeks off the beer, working out like schwarzennegger, my wife digging my toned biceps and abs.. And I get my first bad attack in 8 years! So, it must have to do with "body state" or "equilibrium".. Any changes to the uric acid levels, up or down, or ph.. Up or down siqnificantly will trigger an attack.

As I write this, i'm slurping down my first baking soda water drink. I will have another just before bed too.. Currently on ibuprofen all day.. Will take 400 mg tonight before bed.

Thanks for your help! This therapy makes sense.. Doctors don't know much about nutrition.. I think they skip that one at school.. Too busy looking at test tubes.

I'll post my results.

Thanks again. Good post!

Jonbo
|
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply