Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Neurontin Or Brain Surgery??

Does anyone out there have any experience taking neurontin?? What do you think of it? I've been on every drug out there for seizures and now my doc wants me to have another mri and possible surgery....I'm so confused, I don't know what to do...Surgery on my brain scares me Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2003
Experienced User
Neurontin
My husband took it for a couple of years for his headaches. My doctor wanted to put me on it for my lupas,but I knew I couldn't afford it. When my husband took it we got it through our neuroligist office from one of the drug reps. It didn't work that well for my husband, but you can't go by him because nothing works very well for him. Why the brain surgery? What are they looking for? I watch a lot of discovery and even though it's still very serious to opperate on ones brain, they have come a long way. If that's any comfort. It is a very scarry thing to think about.

Sharon Smile
|

replied September 18th, 2003
Experienced User
Thanks for your reply sharon, the surgery is to stop the seizures..The surgeon goes in and fixes that part of your brain that is causing the seizures, but of course like any surgery there are risks...
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Hey there,ask your Dr.About a vsn inplant,i have had that done.It has done wonders for me.I'm very well happy with it.It's a one day surgey too.No brain thing going on,so you don't worry about that.Lots of ppl are having them now days.I would ask my Dr.About it. Wink in about a yr.I will be slowly taking off all this medicine i'm on.Which I take over 500mg.In primdome,400mg zomige,400 limital too,so i'm on alot,cause I was havin alot.That vns implant is for ppl who have them bad,but I would ask anyway.Medicine can lead to toxic in the body after so long,and i'm so happy i'm going to be taking off my medicine too.Sooo please ask about it,it won't hurt none,or anyone else out there :p ..Cyn
|

replied October 31st, 2003
Neurontin
I have been taking neurontin for chronic pain from a bulging disc in my neck. I had numbness going down my arms and neck pain all the time. I take 1800 mg a day. I think it has been a wonder drug for me. I wonder where the pain went. I mean the pain seems to have disappeared. Neurontin is used to treat alot of different conditions. The only side effects that I can say I feel are sometimes fuzzy vision. But that is brief. Alittle more tired than usual! I have heard about weight gain in some people. I have not gained weight. I am impressed with this drug and how it has really improved my quality of life.
|

replied November 6th, 2003
Experienced User
I've had brain surgery for my seizures. I had scar tissue on my right frontal lob, from either a car accident as a teenager or spinal meningitis as an infint, that they removed in june of 2001. I have had a reduction in the number of grand mals from over 50 a year to 5 since the surgury. I do however still have a petite mal about once a month. My sugury was done at uc davis. My doctor is still switching around my medications to try to bring my epilepsy under control.
|

replied November 7th, 2003
Experienced User
Brain Surgery
Hey feelgood,
I have a e-mail adress to talk about b.S. More jamal
|

replied November 14th, 2003
Experienced User
I was on many different medications to try and stop my epilepsy. Nothing worked. I went to the hospital for evalution of my condition. The surgeons said I was a canditate for brain surgery. I was very afraid and confused. I did what only you can due in this situation and I prayed to my god for his guidance and blessing. I had the surgery in dec of 2002. The part of my brain tissue was removed that was dying and causing the problem. I have been seizure free since the surgery. Praise god for the blessing. All things are possible through the power of prayer. I went back to work 10 days after surgery.
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Brain Surgery?
I've been having seizures for 30 years and been through a number of medications and combination of medications but they still continue. I am now in the process of seeing if I am a canadate for brain surgery. It has taken me a while just to decide to go forward with the testing let alone having the surgery itsself, but I thought that it would be good to know all the facts and options before going any further. I know what you mean when you say you are scared. Go ahead with the testing to see if you are even able to have the surgery first. If you have a good doctors they will make things comfortable for you and assure you are not being forced into the surgery. They too reallize the seriousness of the situation both physically and mentally and will give you the facts. The more you know the better you'll feel. I have had a couple of tests so far and every thing appears as though I am suited for surgey, but I'll have to go through more test before the doctors and myself will feel comfortable with moving on. I won't have to make the decision till all the test have been completed. Then I will make the choice as to have the surgery or not and not till then; and all my doctors keep emphasizing that. Find out all you you can before going forward. You'll know more than they do, Ha, they're just the mechanics
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Andre V Strizhak
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....