Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Baby Names Forum

Are These 2 Names Pretty??

Well my sister is 7 months pregnant and she still doesnt know what the baby is so me and her came up with...

Girl:mecca michelle...Aka (mecc mecc)

boy:michael aden

i like them a lot...What do you guys think?

:d
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 30th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey I really like those names where did she find mecca??I have never heard of that before I like it though because its different!!
|

replied May 31st, 2004
Hey sarah...I'm not exactly sure where she got the name mecca...She's always wanted to have a babygirl and name her mecca...I'll ask though. I made up the name michael aden the last time I was at her house I just thought that it was a pretty name for a little boy. Smile
|

replied May 31st, 2004
Experienced User
The names are really pretty...But is your sister muslim?

If not, she might not realise that mecca is the holiest place for muslims, it is a city somewhere in the middle east, that is where muslims face towards when they pray. So the name could raise a few eyebrows with some people! (but then, most names probably mean strange things in some language or other!)
|

replied May 31st, 2004
Uh no my sister aint muslim?? She just likes that name.
|

replied June 3rd, 2004
Re: Are These 2 Names Pretty??
I like those names.. Mecca sorta reminds me of my name for some reason lol. Mines mikala.. It pronouces michael-la. I think it reminds me of my name because it is unique like mine lol.
|

replied August 3rd, 2004
I Am Sorry If This Sounds Too Harsh, But !!!??????????
Confused It would be a pretty name, however, I don't feel just eyebrows would be raised. I feel that there is a strong probability that she would receive real trouble from radical muslim(s) (this is not saying all muslims are radical. Sad I have to justify that statement) later on in her life. Kinda like if you named your child bhudda, talmut, god, allah, bethlehem, tora, koran,dhali lama,mayapur, jeruselem, zion, mt. Olympus or pope. These may seem ridiculous, but mecca is exactly the same as all of these. Though some listed are holy deities, texts or names they carry the same impact for worshippers. Mecca holy place and word, with muslims, it's the basis, next to allah, of their religeon! Mecca worshipped by millions around the world. I feel most of that faith would consider it slanderous to carry the name. To most of that faith I am afraid it would be sacriligeous, thus putting her in danger later in life by radicals.

I know this seems extreme, but you asked for opinions, and mine is such that you are asking for as much trouble as if you named her god. Exclamation
|

replied August 3rd, 2004
Not a Good Idea!
Ok I just called and asked my friendly muslim neighbors who are physicians and very modern and pleasant, and they said "is this some kind of sick joke??? That's a horrible idea, then she said something is bosnian (yes they have muslims too) and laughed. I now owe her cookies for asking she said because for a minute she thought it was me asking!"

i thought maybe a muslim's perspective would help you. Sorry!!!!! Crying or Very sad
|

replied August 14th, 2004
I think mecca would be fine. Several names are holy places. I know several people named zion, jordan, israel, bethel (which is derived from bethleham) and holy people: elijah, jesus. I went to highschool with a boy named pope, but he went by his middle name, michael. I think mecca would be a fine name!
-eff
|

replied November 20th, 2004
I don't think that she would have any problem.. That name is beautiful..! Effervescence said all that I wanted to say.. Tell your sister it is her child and she can name it what ever she wants...! I would have to say that a few more heads where turned when the actress names her baby after a fruit.. If you look in the baby name things on-line.. A lot of baby name s are holy..!

Best wishes..
Ashley :d
|

replied November 24th, 2004
Opinion of Names
My opinion - those are stupid names. What is wrong with women that decide to name their poor children things that are completely out of tune - practically pulled out of a hat? Is it the hormones during pregnancy or what??? Example - "apple blythe"... Why would someone name their kid after a fruit? Laughing
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Opinion of Names
crazyrabbit wrote:
my opinion - those are stupid names. What is wrong with women that decide to name their poor children things that are completely out of tune - practically pulled out of a hat? Is it the hormones during pregnancy or what??? Example - "apple blythe"... Why would someone name their kid after a fruit? Laughing

first of all, that's pretty rude, even if it is just ur opinion. And second, I think those are both very nice names Smile and congrats to ur sister :d
|

replied July 18th, 2005
Re: Are These 2 Names Pretty??
Dont worry bout the names you picked if they are muslim so be it because my name is emina and i'm a muslim and it dont matter only what you though was good to you dont ask for peoples advice on names if u think its good for you then ur choice im a muslim do I care no I think its grate that you picked thus names they are pretty :)
|

replied July 19th, 2005
Great
Tell your sister congratulations from me.

First of all: if you like the name, and want to consider it, i'd have quite a few names handy. Mecca kinda has a ring to it. But wait till the baby's born, and if you still like it go ahead.

Secondly, i'm sure nobody will mind about the whole mecca: religion stuff. There's a girl at school called priya and I never heard of that name before, but I just thought; its her name. And the more I knew her, the more priya's name suited her.

Thirdly, what does the name mecca mean? I'm sure at some time in her life this lil kid's going to want to know what her name means. And if it has something like: 'muslim', what will she think of that?

Fourthly, I love this name. And if you like it, and your sister likes it, and the father likes it: I see no reason why it shouldn't come into the final list.

Fifth, the name will change. It happens to everyone. You like it, then you don't. It's just the way it is. I had 17 names before this one. So if mecca is chosen at some point, it might not be the final decision.

Finally, what does your sister think of when she imagines mecca as a child? What kind of personality does mecca come across to her?

Well, big congrats from me, I hope this helped. I can't believe how much I think about it: i'm 13!

.:huggles:. Good luck!
|

replied June 8th, 2018
Experienced User
go for mecca michelle
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...