Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Applying For Disability. Any Tips?

Hi all,

i am researching various ways of supplementing income.

I am currently covered under short term disability through my employer. I am preparing to apply for long term disability through my insurance, but if it falls through I am going to investigate disability via social security.

Assuming some of you have tried these things before, so no need to reinvent the wheel, any input? Things I should keep in mind? Things to do or not do?

Anything you can offer would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
plumb
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2004
Get ready for the long wait. I too was on short term disability thru my insurance at work first. You need your doctor totally behind you, they will ask you if your dr has told you that you can not work for at least one year. Then there is paper work, paper work. Obtain all the past history medical records you can get to plea your case, the more the better. Look for a lawyer that is familiar with disability for lupus, don't be afraid to ask. I had to go thru a lawyer to finally get mine and my lawyer specialized in lupus cases. After my denial I let him do the work. Be aware, in case you don't know, that if you are approved for soc. Sec.And you are back dated to day of disability and it goes back to the start or prior to your short term disability you may have to pay back your short term insurance. You can not double dip into disability resources. From my back pay I had to pay my lawyer his part as well as reimburse my short disability insurance, there was a little left for me. I don't grudge it because the time I was off , my bills got paid and I never was hungry. Good luck

turk0182 from oklahoma
|

replied May 29th, 2004
Wow. Thank You For Your Post.
I will keep and acquire as many pieces of supporting paperwork/medical records, as possible. I'll also investigate getting a lawyer to help smooth things over.

I had no idea that long term could be back dated to overlap the short term. That would not be pretty.

Hmm... Lots to consider.

Again, thank you.
|

replied May 31st, 2004
Experienced User
Disability
Document everything. All your aches and pains, and be sure your doctor knows about everything that you're feeling, from depression to happy days to joint swells...The whole 9 yards as it were.

Hire a lawyer. My mother in law got disability after 3 years of attempting to get it in the first place. She hired a lawyer. They gave her retro for whatever she should have gotten in the first three years and now is getting supplemental income.

I applied for disability back in '02 when I was first diagnosed but I am not eligible. I choose not to work so...I am capable of working 20 hours or less a week, it just depends on if anyone is willing to hire me (i have a very extensive background in retail sales and retail management, not something most people look for in resumes).

Good luck.

Clarebear
|

replied June 9th, 2004
Applying For Disability. Any Tips?
I applied for disability over and over continually filling out their paperwork, only to finally have it shelved. I was so frustrated that I decided to contact my congressman. I began receiving disability checks within a couple of months. It was great because I didn't have to hire a lawyer. I figure my tax dollars paid for the help I got. Hope this helps.

Horselvr
|

replied June 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Call Your Local Congressman
My husband has had his congressmen speak on his belhalf in regards of his disability (he is a disabled veteran...A young one...)

what steps did you take to talk to your congressman? What kind of "ammunition" did you give him/her?

Thanks.

Clarebear
|

replied June 10th, 2004
Disability Help From Your Congessman
Hi clarebare,

actually, my husband wrote the letter because I was so very sick I could barely think. Try this though, there are several websites that I pulled up on google "how to write your congressman" that are very informative. Tells you how to proceed, what to include in your correspondence and so forth. I'm sure you'll get some help here. And, if your husband has some inside contacts, that doesn't hurt either. I hope this works for you because I know how the stress can really effect your lupus. Take care.

Horselvr
|

replied June 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Legislature
Actually I am more on the "healthy" side of lupus so therefore not eligible for disability. I can work maybe 20 hours a week, I just choose not to (and after my episode on tuesday night, a good idea -- that's another forum altogether).

My husband's legislative people were in fl and raleigh, nc when we lived there. Right now he doesn't have any advocates as he's trying to get established in the va clinics here in myrtle beach.

Thanks for the info though!

Clarebear
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Re: Applying For Disability. Any Tips?
plumb wrote:
hi all,

i am researching various ways of supplementing income.

I am currently covered under short term disability through my employer. I am preparing to apply for long term disability through my insurance, but if it falls through I am going to investigate disability via social security.

Assuming some of you have tried these things before, so no need to reinvent the wheel, any input? Things I should keep in mind? Things to do or not do?

Find a lawyer that specializes in social security law.

Anything you can offer would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
plumb
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Linda Burke-Galloway
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....