Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Abortion Vs Childbirth (Page 1)

Pro-abortion people commonly say that it is. "maternal mortality" is listed as deaths of women per 100,000 pregnancies. This figure has been commonly listed as eleven, compared to deaths from induced abortion, which are listed as one or two. Therefore, they say abortion is seven times safer. Not so! Maternal mortality, in recent years, has dropped to seven, not eleven.

But more important is the fact that, included in maternal mortality, are all deaths from induced abortions and ectopic pregnancies. Included also in maternal mortality are all women who die while pregnant from almost any cause that is in any way related to pregnancy. Different states require longer or shorter lengths of post-partum time, but, typically, maternal mortality also includes any related death within one year after delivery

maternal mortality also includes deaths from caesarean section. To compare comparable risks, one would have to compare the risk of being pregnant in the first three months with the risk of having an abortion within the first three months. When compared in this fashion, abortion is many times more dangerous. Actually, it is probable that induced abortion is more dangerous than carrying a baby to term
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Further Proof
Let’s look at the late 1950s. Those were the supposed bad old days. All abortions were illegal, and illegal abortionists were alleged to be busy. In the july 1960 edition of the american journal of public health, there was an article by Dr. Mary calderone, founder of siecus and medical director of the planned parenthood federation of america. She stated:

"90% of illegal abortions are being done by physicians. Call them what you will, abortionists or anything else, they are still physicians, trained as such; . . . They must do a pretty good job if the death rate is as low as it is . . . Abortion, whether therapeutic or illegal, is in the main no longer dangerous, because it is being done well by physicians."
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Coat Hanger Abortions
Pro life have lectured nationwide on abortion on an average of one city a week for almost three decades. They frequently ask the audience and pro choice groups to provide documented proof of a self-induced "coat hanger abortion". In all this time no one has given pro life a single case. It may well be — there never were any coat hanger abortions
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Large Amounts of People Obtain And Die From Illegal Abortion
On june 18, 1989, cnn world report, in an hour-long documentary, stated that in brazil there are 6 million illegal abortions each year and 400,000 women die. But the u.N. Demographic yearbook of 1988 lists only 40,000 women, age 15-44, dying each year of all causes. Who is lying?

In portugal the claimed figure was 2,000 deaths. The actual number of deaths of females between the ages of 15-46 was 2,106 in the same year from all natural causes, accidents and illness. There were only 97 listed in the "complications of pregnancy" of which 12 were due to abortion, including spontaneous and induced, legal and illegal.

In italy, the claimed figure before their abortion referendum was 20,000. In the age group 15-45, there were actually only 11,500 female deaths from all causes.

In germany the claim was that 15,000 women died annually. In fact, only 13,000 women of reproductive age died annually in west germany, and less than 100 died of complications of abortion, legal and illegal

at the united nations habitat meeting in istanbul, turkey, in june 1996, the following "fact" was given wide publicity: the unicef suddenly claimed that 585,000 women die each year from causes related to pregnancy and birth.

The pro-life ngo’s for the family immediately answered, "this is wild. According to the u.N. Demographic year book for 1990, the total known maternal deaths worldwide for 1986 and 1987 numbered 11,924 (around 6,000 per year). This figure encompasses countries covering 35% of the world’s population
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Experienced User
I'm not sure what you think you are trying to prove -- all these numbers prove that childbirth is more dangerous than abortion, but that is obviously not what you intend is it?
|

replied May 13th, 2004
If you read it referes to pro choice ilegal abortion figures and demographic figures from the countries themselves - proving the death rates from ilgeal abortion in countries where abortion is ilegal is nowhere near the figures propsosed by pro choice nothing else as these only refer to illgal abortions not legal
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Experienced User
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post (i'm not being critical, I actually really don't understand what you are saying).
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Ok
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Experienced User
No, I don't understand if you are saying the statistics are wrong, or only apply to legal or to illegal abortions, I can't make it out from what you wrote.
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Just because "statistics" do not show any coat hanger abortions does not mean they did not happen. Who in the world is going to just come up and say yeah, I did that. Come on now. That is personal.
And I know personally of a case. So, there goes that "fact"
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Do you believe in aliens as well? Or the boogie man? Or bigfoot? Just because statstics prove they dont exist dosnt mean they dont

but should we go and hide in a cave in fear of alien attacks should we never go out in the dark and should we keep clear of forests.

Should we permit abortions(genocide) just out of fear some deranged person might stick a coat hanger in themselves and perhaps die.
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Experienced User
I still don't understand -- is your post saying that women don't die from illegal abortions? Or are you saying that if they do, they deserve it?
|

replied May 14th, 2004
I am saying pro choice lie about the statistics to make abortion seem more of a need than it is!
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Experienced User
Anti-abortionists lie about everything.
|

replied May 14th, 2004
What?
|

replied May 14th, 2004
I admit I cant be bothered to read it so just give an abridged version
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Experienced User
Okay...Lies lies lies lies nothing but lies from the anti-abortionists!

Except the bit at the end, where one of them says that given the choice, no, she wouldn't agree that aborting adolph hitler was a good thing. That was definitely the truth about anti-abortionists.
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Hmmm yes very convincing
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Experienced User
A lot of the same lies you tell, actually.
|

replied May 15th, 2004
Just claiming they are lies is not going to convince anyone!

Elaborate on you claims that I and pro life lie. I cant be bothered to jump around the net looking at bloody poo.

I have read you link - she like you just claims their lies gives no proof or back up no statstics nothing. Poor, very poor. I will dig up some pro choice lies and give you some back up too!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...