Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Sinus Headaches, Please Help (Page 1)

I have been suffering from sinus headaches for as long as I can remember. I have been to doctors, ents. I've had cat scans, septoplasty, turbinoplasty, and have been on many medications and none seem to help.

I get between 4 - 5 sinus headaches a week. When I get a headache I can barely function. The only relief I can find is excedrin migraine. If I take two when I feel a headache coming on it usually helps. I have become dependent on it...

I was wondering if there are any alternative medicines or ways to deal with and/or relieve this pain. The doctors say another operation, but i'm not going through that again. I had a horrible time..

Thanks
jeremy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Have you ever tried accupuncture? I get bad sinus headaches and have thought about trying it myself.
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Alternatives For Sinus Headaches
Hi jeremy ~ sinus headaches are awful and I cannot even begin to imagine having to cope with them 4-5 times per week!

incorporating the use of therapeutic essential oils may provide relief. Single oils include: rosemary, tea tree (melaleuca), eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, geranium.

Sinus headache blend:
5 drops tea tree (melaleuca)
9 drops rosemary
2 drops bergamot
7 drops lavender
3 drops lemon
4 drops geranium

you can combine these oils and diffuse them with an aromatherapy diffuser. It is recommended to diffuse for 10 minutes, 2-5 times daily and at night.

Dietary supplements that may assist you would include vitamins a and c.

You might want to consider using a colon cleansing product. This would remove toxins thay may be causing your headaches.

Try self massage. By applying pressure to specific areas of the head, you can open up the sinuses and ease tension. Rub the area surrounding the bones just above and below the eyes, and massage the cheeks directly in line with these points. Lean your head forward slightly to facilitate nasal drainage. Applying heat to the sinuses can also be beneficial.

If you have any questions or need additional info, drop me a private message. I'd be happy to help you locate products which can help you feel good again!

Be well,
kathy
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Wakkochic17, I haven't ever tried accupuncture. My grandmother has gone to one and I had her ask about it. The lady said she can't treat sinus headaches only migraines??? If someone has good results using accupuncture please let me know.

Earthmom, thanks for the long reply. I will research those natural remedies. Have you tried the sinus buster nasal spray? I have never heard of it. I'm willing to try that if it works.

My ent says not to _ever_ use over the counter (saline/decongestant) nasal sprays even though they offer instant relief. They swell/inflame the tissure/membranes and everytime you use the spray it makes it worse and worse.

Has anybody heard this before? I'm willing to try anything to get rid of these headaches.

Thanks
jeremy
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Sinus Headaches
Jeremy,

i have not tried the sinus buster spray, but it makes sense to me. Cayenne pepper can be used to break up congestion and relieve coughs. Ginger and cayenne pepper can relieve sinus pain and congestion by opening up nasal passages and reducing swelling membranes. Ginger and garlic also have potent antibacterial properties that help clear up sinus infections.

You might prefer to try cayenne capsules. For general support, take 1 capsule 3 times per day.

Muellin oil reduces inflammation and soothes irritation.

Sinusitis can either be acute or chronic. Acute sinusistis is frequently caused by bacterial or viral infections of the nose, throat or upper respiratory tract. More than 50% of all cases of sinusistis are caused by bacteria.

It is very important that you obtain the proper balance of nutrients - vitamins and minerals. You might also want to consider adding acidophilus as this replaces good bacteria in the colon.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can assist you further.

Here's to your good health!
Kathy
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Experienced User
There's nothing wrong with using saline sprays since all they do is irrigate the sinuses. There is no active ingredient to get hooked on. It's the ones that contain medicine, like affrin, that you want to avoid. I keep saline spray by my bed at all times. I should start carrying a bottle with me too.
|

replied July 1st, 2004
Sinus Headaches
Im not sure how old you are or what type of work you have been doing prior to these accourances happening but you might be experiancing a pinched nerve or some sort of back ligament failure. Talk to your chiropractor and ask him which part of the back is related to my head nasal area and are there any weak torn or worn ligiments in that area of my back.
|

replied July 15th, 2004
Thanks for the responses, I gave sinusbuster spray a try and a few other of the remedies but none worked for me. I'm still getting severe headaches 2 - 3 times a week.

I have noticed that 99% of the time they are always over my left eye/forehead/temple region. I hardly ever get headaches anywhere else. Its a real intense pain, throbbing pain. Sometimes my vision in my left eye gets a little blury from the pain. I use to be able to take 2 excedrin migraines and that would help a lot but the last couple of weeks that has stopped working.

Do you think these are really sinus headaches or something else? If I go back to my ent they will want to operate _again_ which I really don't want to do. If anybody has any ideas or solutions please let me know. I really am desperate..

Thanks so much

jeremy
|

replied July 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Nix
You might have a combination of problems.I too get migraines and sinus head aches.They are almost always localized to my left eye and the surrounding area.I had an mri& mra and the only thing that showed up was some sinusitis in the left sinus(like I needed to be told that!)one of the things that truly helped me was to eliminate all meat from my diet.I tried eliminating all the usual suspects,but meat really seemed to be a trigger for me.I'm not advocating this for anyone,but this worked for me.I eat fish and seafood and some dairy and try to avoid overly processed foods.I have been semi-veg for 25 years and very seldom get migraines.Best of luck to you,i know how rotten these head aches are!Pattyv
|

replied July 17th, 2004
I haven't really found _the_ trigger yet for my headaches. The only thing that I have noticed is they almost always start in the afternoon (after lunch). If I skip lunch that sometimes triggers them and it seems whenever a strong low pressure system moves through that always triggers one. Has anybody else experienced that? Nobody really believes me about the weather thing, but I can almost always guarentee I will get a headache when a low pressure system is coming through...I just want to find a cure so I won't get these things. Atleast not so often.

Jeremy
|

replied June 10th, 2008
yes i receive headaches when a low pressure system is moving through my area all the time, it sucks, although im lucky mine aren't as bad as yours. The headaches I get aren't that bad either, just a pain at the top of my head and around the back but they are still bad enough and can sometimes get really bad.

It could be a combination of the lighting and low pressure system that causes them cuase i know everytime I get them the day is almost always cloudy and has that bright colour to the light grey sky but even when I'm inside and away from the light I still get headaches, I can pretty much wake up in a room where there is no natural lighting and tell what kind of day it is outside by the feeling in the back of my head. I usually develop a headache within 30 minutes of waking up or even wake up with a headache on days that has a low pressure system moving through the region.
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Answer to your problems
The answer to your problems is this all natural product called sinus buster!. It takes away headaches and sinus congestion almost instantly
|

replied March 13th, 2009
sinus headache
It may sound odd but how much water do you drink? I was on a site watercure.com and watercure2.com...........it tells all about it. makes sense that when you are dehydrated how a headache starts. i STOPPED THEM PRETTY MUCH BY DRINKING ALOT. i FOUND YOU HAVE TO DRINK ABOUT TWO QUARTS A DAY. NOT INCLUDING MILK ON CEREAL OR ANYTHING. JUST PLAIN WATER. it isnt hard to drink that amount. 20 oz on the way to work, 20 oz on the way home and another 20 sometime around dinner and you only have 4 oz to go. just try it for two weeks and see how it goes. I found it helps lots for other things for me also.

the pinched nerve in your neck or back is also very possible. I heard that most headaches are caused by an allergic reaction. take notice what you are near about a half hour before it happens. noy just food, but dish deteergent, cleaners laundry soap or dryer sheets, gas fumes hair products and more.

also low blood sugar will make these. look up hypoglycemia. your low pressure idea is very real. asthma is also worse during this time. sniffing pure peppermint oil helps sometimes too. Hope you find the cause and a good idea for relief..
|

replied April 18th, 2009
More on Sinus Buster
I know this is an old topic, but I am completely sold on Sinus Buster spray. It has literally changed my life. The irritation that you feel in the lining of your sinus when you spray it causes a bunch of really watery mucous to form, and that washes away a lot of the residue that can get stuck up there. Natural mucous works so much better than irrigation systems to do this. Every time you use it, it penetrates a little bit farther. My head feels like it weighs 2-3 lbs. lighter than it did a month ago before I started using Sinus Buster.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
Have you considered that the sinus headaches you are referring to might just be medication overuse headaches. If this is the case consult your GP who should advise you to either go cold turkey on the pain medication, or come off them slowly.

All the best.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
migraines and low pressure systems
i get migraines with low pressure systems as well, sometimes for days..Could your sinus problem be caused by pollution? Do you use air filters, ionizer, air purifiers, spider plants etc in your home... i also read recently that migraines could be from lack of oxygen and another source said not enough hydration (drinking enough water). The bottom line as I see it, is that there are probably a number of causes..and sometimes one remedy will work while other times,not so....trial and error. I do find that many times Vicks vaporub on my sinuses and forehead provides some relief...I wish you well...it's truly a pain!Smile
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
I have always kept a sinus infection. I went through the same cycles as you have. I would be well and then another one would usually be less than a week away. It seemed that I was always on some sort of antibiotic. I kept on to where I would go in and see the doctor and he would already know why I was coming in before he eve enter the room to see me. I though it was never going to end.

My Mother-in-law started my on a product called Reliv at the beginning of this year. It is really just a nutrition shake. I take it twice a day and I have not been to the doctor since I started taking it in January. I have always keep a sinus infection and at first I didn't really think about the improvements except for the fact that I seemed to have more energy but around Easter I noticed that I was smelling something that I have never smelt before. I had to ask what it was and it turns out that it was an Easter Lilly. I had never smelt them before due to my sinus issues, so I highly recommend the product for people with sinus issues. I can get you some information on it if your interested in giving it a try. I know from my own personal experience that I had improvements with it.
|

replied August 7th, 2010
Low Pressure Headaches
Just like to say "Thanks" to all who have posted on here about "low-pressure" headaches! Have had one for the last 4 days and now that the weather is changing it's finally subsiding!! Might want to add that not only was there a headache but dizziness and blurred vision as well. Dr. told me to go and see a massage therapist! If only I could get an appointment!!
V
|

replied August 9th, 2010
I suffered with sinus migraines for many years. Changes in pressure also triggered them. I tried everything, but had several in-bed-for-6-hour debilitating headaches a month.

I recently cut out out all coffee, tea and pop. I have not had a serious migraine in about 11 weeks now. I can still feel the "start" of one occasionally when the pressure changes, but it has not escalated.

Also, before that I used a product called Migra Spray which in many cases actually did seem to keep the migraine from progressing. SO it worked many times but not every time for me. But I believe it is the cutting down of the caffeine that has made the difference.

It is also a no-cost solution that is easy enough for anyone to try. Hope this ends your suffering.
|

replied August 11th, 2010
severe headache from almost 5 years
Hi
i feel sever headache from almost 5 years. the pain normally starts at the morning. it never disturb me in sleep. i feel my veins on both sides near ears are stuck and feel pressure in these if i put my fingers on it.

i did many times wash out of my sinus, but again when i go to doctor he advice another operation.

scan always shows residue in my sinuses.
please somebody help me. i can't do any more operations.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Shafi Ullah Khan
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Antonio Marotta
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....