I'm on vacation and I stayed longer than I expected and ran out of Lamictal...I was off it for 3 days...I finally took it again today... I was wonderin if anyone has gone off it cold turkey like that and what side effects they had from it...also if they went back on, how long it took them to feel somewhat normal again... I'm feelin so bad like I'm gunna die or somethin...and everytime I move or get up I feel real dizzy and my head hurts real bad...my whole body aches...and its hard to walk and this comes and goes when I take advil.. oh yea I'm on 100mg of Lamictal and 1,500mg of Depakote..if that matters... If anyone has been in the same situation and could help that would great!!

Thanx,
Jen
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper taprootjld
|

replied February 29th, 2008
did it... but with trileptol....
I had some effects, but with a different drug. Trileptol isn't much different from Lamictal anyways.... Usually it takes a week for the drug to get completely out of my system before I start having any effects. Actually, I went through this a couple days ago! I have the bad idea to sometimes stop taking my meds for a little bit in hopes that maybe I don't need them anymore! lol, wrong idea for a full time student! Usually what happens to me is I get a bad case of what I like to call "zombie death." I have a really hard time getting out of bed, falling asleep at night, focusing, even reading or writing, and my anxiety reaches phobic proportions. I even noticed that the thing I used to be most fearful of -that I enjoyed doing when stable - which was driving, started scaring the hell out of me again.
It may be your anxiety about skipping out on meds that is causing you pain. Stress is a b****. I don't think 3 days is enough to clear out your system... but on the other hand, 100mg sounds like a low dose.
Are you having any psychological symptoms?
keep us posted
diana
|

replied February 29th, 2008
this does feel like what you said "zombie death" I'm also having a hard time focusing and all that...It feels like I have a really high fever or something...I get really really cold then really hot...my whole body hurts like hell!! What do you mean by psychological symptoms?? And what do you mean phobic proportions??
|

replied March 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Just an FYI for you - these meds fall in the category of being anticonvulsants. You should never stop taking them cold turkey. You need to wean down the dose to come off of them. You can have rebound seizures as a result of spontaneously coming off the medication. Try to keep enough of the medication on hand. If you do run out you can go to a pharmacy and buy of few doses to tide you over till you get home. Most pharmacists will do this, knowing the possibilities of the outcome if a patient does not get their medication. No judgement here, just concern. Don't want to preach, just teach. Hugs.
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2008
Supporter
i've been through this. i used to come off cold turkey and flip flop about taking meds in general. bad idea/action. have to wean to keep your body from completely flipping out and your mind. same as above, no judgement just concern for u.

side note - re: antigone and seizures. one dr. overdosed me on paxil! and i began seizing at work and my husband had to rush me to the emergency room. the neurologist said that u can overdose your serotonin levels. i was shocked... had no idea that could happen. needless to say, i told that dr. what he did and to f-off.
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Depending on how long you have been on the Lemictal, you should be alright. As a matter of fact, I just was at my doctors office this morning due to the fact I am breaking out in all blister type sores all over my hands. Seems since I started Lemitcal this has happened. She told me if I see on more blister, I am to go off Limectal all togerther and she will try me on depacote. Shame, cause it is really working for me. But one of the side effects that could be severe, is a rash.
You might want to consult you doctor as to whether or not he/she wants you back on it again.

Carrie
|

replied March 13th, 2008
Don't do it!!
We have become "experts" on bp meds. It is sort of entertaining that we are all in the same boat. I guess everyone will have different reactions, but I tried to wein off a 200mg per day dose down to 100mg per day. Had severe anxiety, a panic attack,and was white as a ghost. all this luckily at home!!! Was colse to being admitted. Ah- Good times! Flashback from 18 months ago. Went back to the 200mg and in 2-3 days was back to the ho-hum middle we all have.

I hope you can do it, just tell the pdoc/tdoc so they can break your chops as they did to me.
|

replied March 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have to agree here
I am only on 100mg a day for now. Was told I could go up to 200 if I felt the need. So far so good. Being on 200mg may need to ween down. I would consult my doctor first and get some input. I guess going off 100mg is not as bad because she did not tell me to ween down, just stop as my symtoms could be fatal. No more new blisters, so I guess it was something else I am allergic too. Good thing, I am doing so well on it, I would hate to have to go off.

~Carrie~
|

replied March 6th, 2009
lamictal doses
I have been on lamictal for 3 years. My daily dose is 250 mg. There are definately days where I feel that i dont need my meds anymore but when i feel that way and not take for 2 days it is rough......my husband thinks i need to speak up with doctor and change meds but too scared cuz what is i cant function right away on new meds. I checked myself into mental ward to fast track meds cannot afford to be off work to let ANOTHER med take affect..... thanks for listening
|

replied September 8th, 2009
I'm on Lamictal as well. The only times when I am not taking my medication is if I am traveling (which always happens to be when the pill-bottle runs dry). I too have toyed with the idea of just going off of them. But after discussing this with several psychiatrists and a physicians assistant friend of mine, they all told me there are no long-term negatives associated with Lamictal. Moreover, there is no known tolerance that can be built up by taking Lamictal--it's not like an elicit drug (heroin) that you must keep increasing the dose with in order to feel okay. So really, I don't really see the point in wanting to get off of the meds--unless you want to be free so you can join the military. If finances are a problem, check out Lamotrigine--it's the generic form of lamictal. I switched--my insurance company switched me--and I didn't even notice.
|

replied March 20th, 2011
lamictal seroquel FRAUD
the reason u cldnt tell a diff btween generic and brand lamictal is that the drug was studied against placebo and there was no difference between placebo and lamictal.
those results were never published, but the manufacturer of lamictal has lost law suits in the millions because of their fraudulent claims, yet they r still on the market! google it a bit and u willfindall this stuuf abt lamictal and seroquel...same situation... aaaargh!
|

replied May 25th, 2011
i have been on lamictil for a mood stabilizer for 4-5 years and it is time for me to get off. I am learning that I have deep seated emotional issues that i am working through and guess what i am stronger emotionaly than i have ever been i am getting lots of help and really want to stop taking anything for many reasons which i really don't need to get into now. The verdict is still in wheater or not i am bipolar at all, i have never had a (manic) episode lasting more than a couple of days and never was unable to sleep. I started tapering from a 400mg daily dose and now i am currently on 275mg a day. My body often feels like S... and if i get off schedual from my exersice, eating or sleeping patterns i am worse. i have lots of abnormal body aches, lack of energy often and emotional bouts. I really believe it is hard to remove anything from your body and the doctors really do not know enough to support you in such a case. I am a very healthy person, eat right sleep plenty, exersice regularly and i know that my symptoms are not all emotional really wish i had someone to relate to on this journey and i guess that is what i am really looking for. anyone out there feel side effects from coming off lamictil?????
|

replied November 7th, 2012
Are you by chance still around? Would like to ask about your experience.
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2012
low lamictal dosage but, want to wean off.
I am on 150mg. of lamictal and i don't take anything with it. I was managing fine without it till i had gotten involved with a toxic abusive relationship to which i can gladly say is now over. do you think that the symptoms would be severe if i come off of it say ex: i'm taking 150mg. then i go down to 100mg. for 3 mo. then i go down to 50mg. for 3 mo. then down to 25mg for 3 mo. then depending on my side affects depends on whether i take 12.5mg. or completley off.
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
Thank you so much. There was a problem between my doc and my pharm and I could not get my Lamotrigine and after changing pharms, it came today and I feel so much better. I have been useless, sleeping all day, hurting to walk, a brick pressing down from inside my head, less than zero energy, a dark dark time. It is already clearing and lifting and at the time I blamed the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue immune dysfunction, then it occurred to me it might be the lamotrigine, and it was very hard to find any help on line about this, so thank you for the post, I needed it.
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2013
I use to forget to take mine sometimes also when they upped my medication I read the directions wrong I was actually taking less than I was suppose to all I remember is being extremely depressed and all that stuff I don't remember how long it took me to recover but I'm doing fine now
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...