Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Research project for school.. (Page 1)

So in my Human Growth and Development (early childhood education) class we have been given a project to last us the whole semester, my topic is:

What are some of the emotional challenges that pregnant teens deal with? examples: emotional challenges such as your social stigma, stress, school

our research question has to be backed up with some results of teens who are pregnant so since im not surrounded with teens who are pregnant i thought maybe some of you could help.
Again teens who are pregnant or were pregnant, (preferred age: 16and on) thats the age group in focusing on.
Thanks for your help Smile
Krystine
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 27th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
You can answer some of your own questions, right? Because you are living it.
|

replied February 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
yes but no one knows, im not showing as much and this is not a project about me.
thats why i wanted some other peoples answers.
|

Extremely eHealthy
its due monday, unless some profound thing happens where my stomach blows up and everyone can tell then i could use my self for this project, but thats not going to happen. im going by everyday like everyone else at school. so i couldnt use myself.
|

Especially eHealthy
I thought you said it was a whole semester project?

You can use yourself if you change your name. Wink What do YOU feel about being pregnant? How do you think others will feel about you being pregnant? How are you feeling about the money issues? Obviously you feel there is a great deal of stigma attached to teenage pregnancy because you aren't saying anything to anyone about it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
the research proect is but the question that i have posted above is due monday 1 page long and theres other parts to it.
what are you talking about me feeling theres a great deal about it...dont get it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
krystineM wrote:
the research proect is but the question that i have posted above is due monday 1 page long and theres other parts to it.
what are you talking about me feeling theres a great deal about it...dont get it.

I think she means that there is so much stigma attached that YOU are too ashamed/embarrassed to tell people that you are pregnant.
|

Especially eHealthy
futureshock wrote:

I think she means that there is so much stigma attached that YOU are too ashamed/embarrassed to tell people that you are pregnant.

That is exactly what I was saying.
|

replied February 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
im not embarrassed to say im pregnant.
i just dont know what the rule is exactally at my school about being pregnant so im keeping it to myself for a little. thats all.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
how far along are you?
theres no harm in keeping it to yourself for a while. i wasnt telling many people until i was actually showing
|

Extremely eHealthy
krystineM wrote:
im not embarrassed to say im pregnant.
i just dont know what the rule is exactally at my school about being pregnant so im keeping it to myself for a little. thats all.

That's an interesting quandary to be in. You should include that in your research paper.
|

Extremely eHealthy
im 13-16 weeks now, i'll find out exactaly how far along i am on march 25th my screening ultrasound Smile

so let me jsut clarify some things for this project..
it is a project carried on for the semester, but not a self assesment project about me.
Im to give out surverys on a GROUP of teens who were and are pregnant and the effect emotionally/socially etc. of being a pregnant teen. clearly i cant be a group of people, and im not surrounded by a group of pregnant teens, which is why i thought some of you who are and were pregnant could help me out a little, its confidental, no names or anything will be mentioned just the things you had to deal with, if you carried on going to school, stress, emotional, and social issues...
|

Extremely eHealthy
You should post this on pregnancy community chat and maybe parenting, there are more people there to see this and respond. Good luck!
|

Especially eHealthy
How did they anticipate you would find a group of pregnant teens to carry out this survey on? How many teens would you need to answer these questions?

13-16 weeks! Your doctor can actually tell that large of a difference by an internal exam (you would have had one during your first or second doctor's visit). The size and shape of your uterus is what gives him a general 'dating'. Why are they waiting so long to give you an ultrasound?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I thought you already had a due date and everything?
|

Experienced User
I would tell you what it was like to be a pregnant teen if I knew...lol
I found out I was pregnant when I was 16 years old and had my son when I was 17,so I am a teen mom.I just don't feel like a teen mom.
I dropped out of school and started doing correspondance before I got pregnant,I left home when I was 14 years old,started working for the carnival at 15 and then left with my boyfriend when I was 16.I found out a couple months later I was pregnant.Sure I was scared,it wasn't a planned pregnancy,I still felt I was too young to be a mom.I never had to deal with the pressures of school and pregnancy like most teens,I had a job where nobody knew I was pregnant until pretty much the end when I left for maternity.I didn't show very much,I have pictures of when I was 7 months along and I had no noticeable baby bump.I didn't start showing til about the middle of the 8th month and then I got HUGE!
Sorry I'm not much help,if you have any more questions,just let me know
|

Extremely eHealthy
krystineM wrote:

Im to give out surverys on a GROUP of teens who were and are pregnant and the effect emotionally/socially etc. of being a pregnant teen.

So why not post the survey?
|

Extremely eHealthy
because thats the second part of the project.
this is the first part, the part thats due on monday.
its not that they gave us a topic to do, i chose this one out of a bunch of others, i figured id be more intrested in this one than others, and stick to it. Everyone in my class has to also hand out surveys for topics their doing too be it coral punishment or whatever the topic is having something to do with human growth and development.
and as for ingi's question and what not, i had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks and they saw nothing, then when i found my family doctor he said i should be now around 16 weeks and thats when i heard my babys heart beat, but my fiance and i have counted from when i was ovulating, and got 13 and what the doctors ESTIMATE was id 16weeks, so thats why i said id find out at my screening on march 25th. not everyone gets an ultrasound right away, unless something is wrong or other reasons, thats when my ultrasound day is, until then i have check-ups leading up till that day and so on and so forth.
|

Extremely eHealthy
krystineM wrote:

and as for ingi's question and what not, i had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks and they saw nothing, then when i found my family doctor he said i should be now around 16 weeks and thats when i heard my babys heart beat, but my fiance and i have counted from when i was ovulating, and got 13 and what the doctors ESTIMATE was id 16weeks, so thats why i said id find out at my screening on march 25th. not everyone gets an ultrasound right away, unless something is wrong or other reasons, thats when my ultrasound day is, until then i have check-ups leading up till that day and so on and so forth.

Your doctor is probably counting from your last menstrual period, which would add 2 weeks on to your 13 weeks (counting from conception).
|

Experienced User
Futureshock I was popping in to post just that! Also, I just noticed you have a sheltie! I have one too (same colouring and everything) and they're just the sweetest dogs!

KrystineM- doctors always measure from LMP (last menstral period), you should know that. Your doc's estimate sounds pretty bang on at 15-16 weeks.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...