User Profile
I just realized i didnt post this yet...
well my husband and I took my son to his appointment and everything went ok lots of paperwork and it had silly questions like do you drink or do drugs have unprotected sex and such.... hes 5 lol and it was for kids the place i went to and they were questions for him not me i asked lol
they set up another appointment for him next friday the 7th my husband will be home for that too so i dont have to worry about the drive then after that appointment they want him to se a psyciatrist (sorry sp) to make the final diag. so hopefully they will diag. him and we can all fig out how to help him and such thank you all for your words of support when i last posted about him. has anyone else gone thru this or know of otheres that have aspergers syndrom?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Karin knows a lot on this subject.
I hope the psychiatrist is able to make an accurate dx
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you will have a lot of information next friday. Basically, when you do see the psychiatrist, s/he will review the information and agree or disagree with the psychologist's findings. Most of the time they agree with the psychologist because the evaluation is very comprehensive.

I think it's great you are doing this when he is so young. It will make it a lot easier to meet his educational needs with this information. Whatever his dx ends up being (if any), I can mail you a great deal of information related to that dx and the educational system in general.

We have talked about this before regarding my son. If your son ends up having Aspergers then I have some great information for you provided by the speech pathologist at my school. She is the "asperger and autism" guru of the school district and I highly respect her.

When the psychologist goes over the information, it may be a little daunting. S/he may discuss all these different tests and subtests and may go over standard scores. If it becomes confusing, just pm me and I will go over it more with you.

Even if you are expecting a specific dx, if that dx is confirmed for you don't be surprised if you still feel a flood of emotions. The emotions could occur for a variety of reasons such as confirmation, worry, confusion, relief, etc. I experienced that personally and I had no doubt in my mind what the clinical psychologist was going to tell me. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to have so many emotions when we met with the clinical psych. I already knew the information but it was still so very hard.

The one thing I can tell you about children with Aspergers - they are my FAVORITE to work with!! Most are so funny and have great senses of humor. I am current reading a book called, "Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Disorder," written by a boy when he was just 13 years old. It is such a great book.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Candita. I am thinking about you and your family. I know it will all work out.
|

User Profile
Supporter
thank you i will def pm you when i find out more im just at a loss on what to do after the fact you know
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I hope al goes well with his dr appt, keep us updated on his dx!
|

replied February 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hope everything goes well.
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...