Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

zoloft ability to conceive ?

User Profile
My fiance has been taking zoloft( a medication for depression) everysince we met, could this be affecting my ability to conceive... I have a child from a previous relationship and he has had a child that died shortly after delivery.......
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Antidepressants could be responsible for reduced fertility in men.Researchers in the US had found that SSRIs, which are taken by millions of people in the UK for the treatment of depression, could be damaging male fertility.Men taking the drugs were found to suffer a ‘dramatic fall’ in their sperm count while on the treatment, the papers said. They had reduced sperm concentration and impaired sperm motility.When they stopped taking the antidepressants, the men’s fertility problems disappeared, although they came back if they started antidepressant treatment again.So,go for a semen analysis of your partner.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.