I've recently read 2 people post about these. What's the harm in using them?

Ava still has hers and I probably won't take them down. She likes to cuddle with them or put her back to them and I couldn't imagine her with her back against the bars.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have always had them in Jaylon's crib too. I tucked them in and left just a little bit out when he was really little. At every appointment with the doc he stressed not using them. I can't stand to hear him bumping his head off the side of the crib. Sad
I don't understand why they sell them if your not supossed to use them. Unless people have decorative cribs in their house for show?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i used them up until about 2 monthes ago when val tried to jump out of her crib by bunching it up and standing on it lol...if she hadnt done that i would still be using them

i dont know, a lot of people would say im in the wrong because i have val sleep on a boppy (its for her reflux, so she stays elevated, i had a pillow under her matress until recently when she climbed up on the "hill" and almost jumped out AGAIN!)

i think its supose to have some POSSIBLE connection with sids (but what doesnt these days, its almost as bad as cancer EVERYTHING causes it) i think its something like the air doesnt circulate (which i dont understand, they have all the room above them to circulate air
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well, Ava has no clue that she could jump out thank GOD!
I'm nervous that one day she'll realize it, but I highly doubt she could even with the pads. Her matress is really low.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
finn loves to climb so i'm waiting for the day i hear a THUD from his room. he doesn't have bumpers, i think one day he'll just hook his leg up over the side and go over. he's crazy like that!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
bridget im so worried val will do that too, she is such a little monkey and she HATES to be confined....i know one dleray soon she will figure it out....thats why im gonna try getting her in a toddler bed at around 15-18 months (are you putting finn in a toddler bed before esme gets here or are you buying another crib? you too betsy, just wondering what you all are planning on doing lol)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I still have Kaylee's bumpers in her crib, I said in another post that she sleeps better with them in because I think she feels safer. She's a crazy sleeper so the couple nights that we tried it bumper free, she was banging her head & legs on the sides. I don't think she'd be able to use them to jump out because we have her mattress down as low as it will go & the bumpers are real soft. As long as nothing comes up before then, we'll probably keep them in until she starts sleeping in a toddler bed.
|

Especially eHealthy
alicia, we're getting finn a toddler bed soon. unfortunately the one i have my heart set on is out of stock! i want to get it as soon as we can so i'm not just kicking him out of his crib one night. i want him to be able to see it and climb in and out and just get used to it for awhile. esme will be in a pack n play bassinet in our room for about 3 months, then she'll be moving in with finn. if he's still not ready to get out of the crib she'll just keep sleeping in the pack n play until he is. i think he'll love it though since he's mr. independent.
|

Especially eHealthy
I haven't used a bumper pad since Oni was 2 months old.

And I refuse to use em for Nya.

They don't serve any purpose BESIDES decoration.

Once babies get mobile with rolling and sliding/scooting, they're SERIOUS suffocation hazards.

Yes, they protect baby from getting a limb stuck, or from slightly knocking their heads if/when they roll over. But, in the long run, they can/will do more damage than good.

Here's some breathable mesh bumpers that are recommended if you want bumpers.

Info on bumper pads.
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsan dsafety/a/bumpersafety.htm

examples.
http://www.securebaby.com/sb50504.html

http://www.securebaby.com/sb50502.html

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
BridgetHeartsFinn wrote:
alicia, we're getting finn a toddler bed soon. unfortunately the one i have my heart set on is out of stock! i want to get it as soon as we can so i'm not just kicking him out of his crib one night. i want him to be able to see it and climb in and out and just get used to it for awhile. esme will be in a pack n play bassinet in our room for about 3 months, then she'll be moving in with finn. if he's still not ready to get out of the crib she'll just keep sleeping in the pack n play until he is. i think he'll love it though since he's mr. independent.

thats awsome, that is the exact same thing im planning on doing with val, i actualy got her toddler bed from walmart for $100 when she was like 5 months (they were out of stock so long and i really wanted one, so once they got them back i snatched one up, and i havent seen them again since so im SO glad i did, its a spiderman 3 one with a bed a table and chair set and a 9 bin organizer lol) im giving her the "new room" as her 1st birthday present (shes still gonna sleep in her other room though) then about 15 months im gonna try to make that her nap room, then about 18 months i wanna try to make it where shes in there for all sleeping...i wanna try to go real slow lol......sometimes i really think val and finn were like seperated at birth, she is SO independent too lol

EDIT: what kind do you want bridget? can you post a link?
|

Especially eHealthy
it's this one-

http://www.target.com/Toddler-Sleigh-Bed-B lack/dp/B00115QP7A/sr=1-3/qid=1201555592/r ef=sr_1_3/601-1052239-0712163?ie=UTF8& index=target&rh=k:toddler%20bed&pa ge=1

i have my heart set on black. the crib and dresser are oak and i don't want anymore oak taking over that room. the black will match his little rocker and barn bookcase.

they have the same one on the babiesrus site but it has a different name and it's $30 more, it's also out of stock.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?p roductId=2574715 (are they not the same?)

i'm going to wait a little while longer and then i might break down and get it in white or a different black one that i don't like nearly as much.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
that is beautiful bridget....and they do look exactly the same.....babies r us is ALWAYS more expencive lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
I haven't used a bumper pad since Oni was 2 months old.

And I refuse to use em for Nya.

They don't serve any purpose BESIDES decoration.

Once babies get mobile with rolling and sliding/scooting, they're SERIOUS suffocation hazards.

Yes, they protect baby from getting a limb stuck, or from slightly knocking their heads if/when they roll over. But, in the long run, they can/will do more damage than good.

Here's some breathable mesh bumpers that are recommended if you want bumpers.

Info on bumper pads.
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsan dsafety/a/bumpersafety.htm

examples.
http://www.securebaby.com/sb50504.html

http://www.securebaby.com/sb50502.html

Sarah

Ava just started sleeping in her own bed at 9 months, so we never had a bumper pad problem before. I guess it's not a problem now. She moves so much, she's never with her face against it or anything.

I still can't imagine Ava in a toddler bed. She'll be in her crib until she's 3. I asked my co-worker about her little girl and she said that she just moved her at 3 1/2 and wouldn't have done it any sooner b/c all she does now is go find them at night and they have to let her fall asleep with them and they bring her back in her bed.
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
We would still be using bumper pads if Brayden hadn't figured out his can use them to climb up. We have his matress the lowest it can go but with the bumper pads I'm just afraid he is going to fly out like the other girls are! So we took them off about 2-3 months ago
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....