Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

diet to prevent reactive hypoglycemia

Hello everyone
After a terrible childhood made of sickness, anxiety, fears and phobies and an high school failure with more than 20 fainting episodes in the middle of a lesson I have been diagnosed with a very strong form of reactive hypoglycemia. The first time I did the glucose tolerance test I fainted twice and vomited.

I'm finally making sense of all the things I have experienced in my young life. The tiredness, the nightmares, the terrible feelings of pessimism and sadness in the morning, the hypers after eating sugars, the anxiety that never abandoned me even when there was nothing to be anxious about, the impulsiveness and crying spells out of nowhere.

Anyway I have started a series of light body weight exercises 3 times a weeks and they're helping a lot and I feel a lot better. I'm drinking more and more often and taking supplements. My diet is now mostly eggs, fish, meat, greens, vegetables, cheese, nuts, avocados, brown rice, whole spelt pasta and lentils. I use a bit of acelsulfame K when I what to sweeten my herbs tea and I hope it is okay.

If I don't eat every 2 1/2 hours I start feeling like life is being taken away from my body. Colors and sounds becomes less vivid. Thoughts becomes negative and I begin automatically to ruminate about memories and regrets. Anxiety begins and I cold sweat profously. I feel spacey and a deep brain fog hit my mind and I'm unable to remember things or think straight. I become irritable, aggressive and hate everything and everyone. My legs start feeling heavy and seems to soccumb over the weight of the upper body. I feel like going to bed and sleeping for a week and every little thing I can/should do seems overwhelming and impossible.

As soon as I eat all these symptoms disappear.

So the problem is that now I'm eating 8 times a day.
But I don't know how much to eat.
If I eat too little at each meal I end up undereating and not feeling that well. So usually I eat too much at each meal and when I'm consuming my 4rth I feel already overstuffed, bloated and sick.
I'm gaining a lot of weight since I have started this diet and my tummy fat is increasing dangerously. Eating too much seems to cause the same sugar reaction I remember from when I ate a terrible unhealthy diet.

So today my mother bought me a cheap electric scales and I thought I would ask to people more expert and with more experience with dealing with a diet to prevent reactive hypoglycemia how much food should I eat for each of my 8 meals.

I think my total caloric need in a day is around 1900 calories and I'm 19 years old 5.7 and weigh 146 pounds.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Daniel
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
I think whatever you do has to depend on your body. Your body will know what it needs. Every person will be different. However, I think it is important that you are eating multiple meals during the day. That will really help. I totally hear you though on being worried you might be eating too much. I feel that way too sometimes. And, I have the same experience where if I eat too much I start to have the same sugar-reactions. But, if I eat too little, not only have I not gotten enough food, but I have a low blood sugar response.

I don't know what will be right for you -- you'll have to experiment with that. But, I'll tell you what I do. I tend to still think of my food as 3 meals a day, but then have multiple snacks. I find that if I don't have a slightly larger meal at regular points, I don't get the food I need. And the meals have to be foods that aren't the same as "snack foods". But, I often can't handle a full meal so I'll usually eat about half of it at the meal time and then save the rest until I start to feel I need it (usually an hour later or so). Then I eat my snacks between those meals. (Nuts, cheese, hard boiled egg, etc.)

So, I don't know if that helps at all. I really do think we all will have a very different need in this area. So, what is right for you will probably be different. I just know that for me I know I need to have meals that are a bit more than my usual snacks, and then regular snacks in between.

By the way, how do you feel with the rice and pasta? Do you feel like your body responds well to them? I'm curious because I can't eat any grains at all, and have wondered if I'm unusual in that. Wondered what your experience is.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Sounds like your on the right track. Read my diet on this forum for some tips and help. It takes A LONG TIME to start getting where you want to be, but with hard work it comes! Spelt is good, grains that are sprouted are best. Most people I've suggested try sprouted grain products (bread, pasta, cereal, etc.), have noticed immediate differences in how they feel.
|

replied September 7th, 2009
After going on a modified version of the Paleo Diet (I am eating dairy products - which is a no-no on this diet) I have lost about 27 pounds in 4 months. I'm 6'1" and weighed 211 lbs. at the start, now I'm down to 185 lbs. and feel great - still battling hypoglycemis symptoms but they ahve gotten better. Basically I cut out every form of sugar and refined simple and some complex carbs - no wheat products (I'm allergic), no potatoes, no white rice, no legumes, no milk. My diet is boring and consists of any meat that is not processed (chicken, beef, turkey, fish) as many nuts and seeds as I can eat (go through about 2 lbs of almonds a week) lots of spinach and broccoli, apples, blueberries, honeydew melon, plain no-sugar added yogurt, cheese, wild rice, carrots (heard these were bad but seem okay for me), eggs. I basically eat as much as I can of these things and the weight has been falling off with pretty much no exercise on my part.
|