Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Back ache and nausea: kidney infection ?

Several times over the last week I have suffered a burning pain in my middle/lower back and when I get it I feel nauseous and have a headache and I get shaky and hot. It can last for hours. Do you think it sounds like a kidney infection? Is there anything I can do to treat it myself? I'd rather not take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.

Many thanks for any replies.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
If you have a kidney infection you will need an antibiotic. Kidney infections can become serious leading to other kidney problems.

Have you seen a doctor for this yet?

Do you have pain/burning when urinating?
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thank you very much for replying!

It doesn't hurt to pee but I do have rather smelly urine (nice! lol).

I have got an appointment with my doctor this afternoon so hopefully will get it sorted out.

Thanks again.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Good Luck!

Let us know how everything turns out..Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yep, I've got a kidney infection. Am on antibiotics now and got to have a blood test on Thursday cos there was glucose in my urine. I know it's not diabetes though because I went straight out afterwards to the pharmacy and got a fingerprick test done which came out all normal.

So, not sure about the glucose thing but hopefully that will right itself with the antibiotics.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated Wink
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the update.

Take Care and get some rest. Smile
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Try to drink lots of fluids including cranberry juice. It will help. I drink lots of c juice when I am on antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thank you! I'll get some tomorrow!
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...