Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Fibromyalgia Forum

Side Effects of Lyrica? (Page 1)

I've taken Lyrica 3 weeks and don't notice any real change. Is it supposed to act quickly or take a while to get in your system?
Anyway, I'm sitting here right now having heart palpatations and have had them for several days. I hate to go to docs with this symptom because they always say it's stress. Right now I'm not having anxiety or stress of any kind. Just sitting here with my dog and hubby not worrying about a thing.
If you've had side-effects please let me know.
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fibrofrenzy
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I hope that you get this figured out. Id give the lyrica a month personally. Im not on it but im hoping that someone that is will come and give you some answeres.
|

Experienced User
Tmddyan wrote:
I hope that you get this figured out. Id give the lyrica a month personally. Im not on it but im hoping that someone that is will come and give you some answeres.

I wasn't going to take it but I kept feeling worse and worse. I see a neurologist for the first time in a couple of weeks and I wonder if he'll say I even have fibro. From seeing people's posts here all I have in common is the sore spots, my other symptoms seem different.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
huh well I hope that you get a definite diagnosis. I know that sometimes it takes a while to get a real and true diagnosis. which really stinks. It stinks cause rather tahn getting treatment underway you have to struggle with the pain while they try to figure it out.

hang in there. you know where to find me if you need me
|

replied March 7th, 2008
I have been on lyrica almost 6 weeks now....my dosage has been increased twice....I feel worse...the brain fog has gotten extremely worse and I have had chest pain.
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i wonder---how bout asking your doctor to get you off it and see if the symptoms that you have while taking lyrica let up? i think its worth a try. no sense in taking someting that is makin you feel worse
|

replied March 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Tmddyan wrote:
i wonder---how bout asking your doctor to get you off it and see if the symptoms that you have while taking lyrica let up? i think its worth a try. no sense in taking someting that is makin you feel worse

I went off of it on my own. I've got some other health things going on and have started to work with a neurologist. Perhaps he can come up with an answer that doesn't include fibro, which I'm not positive I have anyway because my symptoms don't match up to what most of the posters talk about.
|

replied July 18th, 2008
Lyrica (Pregabalin)
I found that only 600mg was enough to help the pain, I stuck with the effects and they have tapered off somewhat, although tiredness and weight gain have been a problem but I just could not stop taking it as it has taken away 50% of the pain.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Lyrica will only treat the symptoms of pain and with that medication comes other side effects like edema, weight gain. I took Lyrica for 9 months and then I tried an anti-inflammatory diet as that is what Fibro is..inflammation. Because I only eat foods that do not cause inflammation I no longer take medication and fibro pain went from a 10 to a zero in a very short amount of time. This was obtained from Empowering Your Health by Dr Asa Andrew, Chapter 13. Do not stray from this diet for four weeks and afterwards begin to introduce other foods and see how your body reacts. You will be amazed. Fibro = Allergy to certain foods, amazing.

Approved Foods for the Anti-Inflammatory Diet
(1 Protein source (33%), 1 Fat Source (33%), 1 Carbohydrate Source (33%)

PROTEIN SOURCES

MEATS
(Hormone-free/organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Beef
Lamb
Venison
Veal
Buffalo
Meat bone soup / stock
Liver
Beef hot dogs (no pork casing-organic and nitrite / nitrate free. Use sparingly)

FISH
(make sure that in its original form that it had fins and scales)

Salmon
Scrod
Pompano
Orange Roughy
Herring
Halibut
Grouper
Wahoo
Sea Bass
Sole
Salmon (mercury-free, canned in spring water)
Tuna (mercury-free, canned in spring water)
Sardines (canned in water or olive oil only)

POULTRY
(pastured/organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Chicken
Duck
Turkey
Chicken or turkey bacon (no pork casing-organic and nitrite / nitrate free)
Liver
Canned chicken (all white meat, no nitrates)

LUNCHEON MEAT

Turkey (preservative and nitrite free)

EGGS
(high omega-3/DHA)

Chicken eggs (whole with yolk)

DAIRY

Goat’s milk yogurt (plain)
Goat’s milk kefir
Goat’s milk cheese
Pecorino Cheese

CARBOHYDRATES SOURCES

VEGETABLES
(organic fresh or frozen)

Broccoli
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Squash
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Carrots
Celery
Eggplant
Garlic
Okra
Spinach
Peas
String Beans
Cucumber
Pumpkin
Onion
Leaf Lettuce (all kinds)
Mushrooms
Peppers
Tomatoes
Artichoke
Leafy Greens (kale, collard, broccoli, mustand greens, etc)
Sprouts (broccoli, sunflower, pea shoots, radish, etc)

FRUITS
(organic fresh or frozen is best)

Blueberries
Strawberries
Apples
Blackberries
Raspberries
Cherries
Grapefruit
Lemon
Lime

FAT SOURCES

FATS and OILS
(organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Avocado
Cow’s milk butter, organic (BEST for cooking)
Extra-virgin coconut oil (BEST for cooking)
Flaxseed oil (not best for cooking)
Expeller-pressed sesame oil (not best for cooking)

NUTS and SEEDS
(non-roasted, organic, raw, or soaked is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Almonds
Pumpkinseeds
Hempseed
Flaxseed (ground)
Sunflower seeds
Almond butter
Hempseed butter
Sunflower butter
Pumpkinseed butter
Sesame butter
Walnuts
Cashews

MISCELLANEOUS APPROVED ITEMS

CONDIMENTS, SPICES, SEASONINGS
(organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Salsa (fresh or canned)
Tomato sauce (no sugar added)
Guacamole (fresh)
Apple cider vinegar
Celtic sea salt
Mustard
Omega – 3 mayonnaise (Hain brand)
Herbs and spices (no added stablizers)
Pickled ginger (preservative and color free)
Wasabe (preservative and color free)
Organic flavoring extracts (alcohol based, no sugar added), e.g., vanilla, almond, etc.
Any organic salad dressings (e.g., Annie’s)
Whole commercial salad dressings without high fructose corn syrup (e.g., Newman’s Own)
Whey protein powder
Goat milk protein powder

BEVERAGES

Purified, non-chlorinated water
Natural sparking water
Herbal teas (preferably organic) unsweetened
Regular (preferably organic) Green Tea (substitute for coffee)
Wu-Yi, eleotin, and yerba matte teas
Raw vegetable juice (beet or carrot juice-small quantities)
Beef or chicken broth

SWEETENERS

Unheated, raw honey
Stevia
Agave Nectar Sweetner
Sweet N Low (saccharin) in small quantities
Xyitol
|
Users who thank zigemyster for this post: dwhite 

replied February 18th, 2009
Lyrica and Cymbalta weight gain!!!
Thank You for your fibro. diet plan!! You took a lot of time, typing and sending on the information!! I have gained 30 lbs. from Lyrica and Cymbalta and Steroids taken this past year. I've had two disks (C-5,C-6) removed from neck/fusion. Needless to say, I am trying to restore my Life and Health!! I lowered the dosage of Lyrica, but have had the WORST!! withdrawl side effects from Cymbalta. Excessive steroid treatments, for Occipital Neuralgia, Migraines, Fibromyalgia,etc. have not helped my weight eithor; only sent me into a possible Cushing's Disease State. I start Aquatic Physical therapy and will try the Fibro. Diet. D.White
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Google "Empowering Your Health"...

Lyrica treats the symptoms however it does not get to the true root of the problem...

I took it for a bit and it truly increases carbohydrate cravings ='s weight gain.
|
Users who thank zigemyster for this post: dwhite 

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
I took it for a month then my insurance wouldnt cover it and i switched to neurontin. And i was happy. The VERY FIRST PILL worked WONDERS! but it was all downhill from there. Granted I have bipolar, this pill actually made me more irritable and even suicidal! Most long term drugs you have to give 4-6 weeks to see if theyre going to work. if you find lyrica is not for you, try gabapentin (neurontin).
|

replied July 24th, 2009
I tried the drug Lyrica for a short period, just a few months or so. The commercials are so misleading, as any and most commercials are. lol They show people doing their job, and living a happy normal life. What I found on this drug is that my common sense, common knowledge, quickness to react and respond declined GREATLY! Not like taking a narcotic pain reliever, this was indescribable, I felt very stupid. Sad I also had the carbohydrate cravings, gained a lil bit of weight, which didn't help w/ the seasonal depression...and the depression that comes with Fibramyalgia/fibromyalgia (so many different ways to say it, and spell it) pain. I felt that this medication for me, only added to my problems, instead of helping. I've tried many different therapies since I was diagnosed w/fibramyalgia in 2000. This was one of the most ill liked by everyone around me, including myself. So good luck to you, and if it does work for some of you, then congrats! Smile This is definitely not one I would recommend though. glance
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2009
I have side effects as well but the overall outcome for me is it works for me. The side effects i have my feet fall asleep and i have a high feeling. But i function on it just fine and i feel i can do anything cause i dont hurt so bad. But when i get off it or dont take any i get very moody.I heard that DMG which a natural supplement will help with fibro.Good luck to you.
|

replied October 17th, 2009
Lyrica doesn't help. What does??
|

replied March 1st, 2010
DID ANYONE GET PG WHILE ON LYRICA AND STOP RIGHT AWAY?

I have been taking lyrica for about a year and the the firt time i took it was the first time in 2 years i felt good. i was on remron befor for a few months and had a massive weight gain in a only 2 months. i went from 126 to 187.the weight gain made things worse and it took me 2 years to loose it. after 2 years i was finally diagnsed with fms. i have limited mobility in fall winter when i am at my worst. jan- march being the worst when i spend most time in bed cause sitting and standing is painfull. so i have to be in a layed back position to keep the pressure of my back.
i started lyrica april 2009 and started at 1 75 mg and now on 3-75mg pills at night cause it makes me tired and i can;t think. i have a hard time remembering anything. i would forget to give my son his medicatition or vitamins, dr's apts. it got a little better after switching to nights. i have to take adivan to sleep and for my overwhelming anxiety and developed trick the same time the pain started. not knowing these where linked to fms i now see a pattern. i am now on adivan, lyrica, amitriptyline ( anti dep. that helps with pain and help you stay sleeping works to well sometime i can;t get up)
prozac, and now darvacet. i honetly not sure the lyrica is makeing much of a differnce and i have to use my pain medication more to deal with the pain. being in pain all day everyday is not an easy thing to deal with. i am tying to get off the lyrica cause i am 36 and have a 3.5 year old and then got sick. i want one more child as a sibling is very important for me to have for my son. has anyone gotten pg on lyrica and stopped right after they found out. i am worried if i happen to get pg it will cause issues even if i stop right away. but i have fertility issues and other issues can;t take bcp cause of bad reactions. so i am worried if i get pg before i get off the lyrica if i will be heart broken if something happens to teh baby cause i was taking it when i got pg. thank you.. k.teneyck
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
Lyrica side effects
I have been taking lyrica. The side effects are brutal, I have this tight feeling like my skin is too tight for my body, congestion, wieght gain, water retention, swelling of hands and feet, numbness in my thighs.
It takes away my fibro pain but these side effects are truly brutal. Anyone with the same problems.
Don''t know if I should quit them or keep taking them.
|

replied May 29th, 2010
Re: Lyrica side effects
fibrofrenzy wrote:
I have been taking lyrica. The side effects are brutal, I have this tight feeling like my skin is too tight for my body, congestion, wieght gain, water retention, swelling of hands and feet, numbness in my thighs.
It takes away my fibro pain but these side effects are truly brutal. Anyone with the same problems.
Don''t know if I should quit them or keep taking them.

Hi I am also taking lyrica from 2 month and I didn't face any side effects may be you should change your pharmacy
|

replied October 11th, 2010
This drug is not a friendly one. It has more side effects which add to the pain and anxiety of Fibro than I think the actual fibro has. After a 30 lb wieght gain and dr after dr yelling at me, I stopped taking it and wayla-I lost 25 lbs. Neronton made me like a funny drunk, so I have not found one that helps. I am on Cymbalta and I cant tell if it helps ,really, or not. At least I am not having the anxiety attacks or chest pain like I was. I know when I have a flare is just to ride it out, sleep alot and eat whatever I can that makes me happy.
Nan
|

replied March 17th, 2011
I have been on Lyrica for about 9 days now. first two days I felt great. Now I just feel normal(pain and aches) I told the doctor this yesterday and he re-filled my script with the exact same dosage.
so I guess since I have no side effects at all I'll continue until I find something better.
BTW I have no food cravings at all and nearly no appetite. so I don't think weight gain will be a problem.
|
Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...