Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

brain cancer and astrocytoma

My 42 year old niece has been in treatment for astrocytoma for exactly 1 year. She just received this information and would like a laypersons interpretation of what it says for my benefit. Could a physician please help with this? Thank you very much in advance.

Subject: MRI 2/18/08 1 yr appt update

Confused
Technique: Axial T2, T1, FLAIR T2, diffusion, sagittal T1 and ostcontrast axial and coronal T!-weighted MR images of the brain are reviewed.

Findings: There is redemonstration of a heterogeneously enhancing solid and cystic lesion in the mid left frontal lobe extending into the insula. There is also involvement of the amygdala and inferoposterior left frontal lobe. Associated vasogenic edema is present. There are small areas of ring enhancement present centrally within the lesion. Three of these lesions are noted measuring 5 to 6 mm in diamter. These are slightly smaller since the previous scan and are more clearly defined. Centrally, there is increased cystic change within the lesion and a decreasing amount of solid tumor component. While the overall dimensions of the lesion are essentially unchanged at 6 cm anteroposterior x 3.4 cm mediolateral . 3.5 cm cephalocaudad, the central component is more cystic since the preivious study and may indicate response to therapy.

There are no new separate lesions. Minimal mass effect on the left lateral ventricle is present, but there is no evidence for shift of the septem pellucidum.

There is a left frontal craniotomy/biopsy change.

Ventricles, sulci, and cisterns appear normal. Major intracranial flow voids appear normal. Orbits appear unremarkable. Posterior fossa structures are unremarkable. Minimal sphenoid sinus mucosal thickening is present.

Conclusion:

1. Solid and cystic left frontotemporal mass lesion consistent with history of astrocytoma.
2. Findings discussed with Dr. Huber of the oncology service immediately following the scan.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you know if this tumor was diagnosed initially like a low-grade or high-grade astrocytoma?
What kind of treatment she received?
|

replied September 27th, 2010
Like normal cells, cancer cells need nutrients to live. Aminoacids and nucleotides can be labeled with beta emmiter radioisotopes, my idea is not merely using the beta radiation, but let them incorporate into the cancer cells structures and the subsequent transmutation of the radioisotope ought to change the very nature of crucial proteins or DNA. For example, the mild beta emmiter S35 has a half life of 87.4 days and it transmutes into chlorine, so L-Cysteine labeled with S35 could destroy dissulfide bonds, from a myriad of cancer cells proteins or enzymes. I imagined that bacteriophages could be engineered to inject selectively P32 labeled DNA or RNA inside cancer cells, that should reduce the lateral damage and the side effects. I'm an independent researcher write me if you want.
|
Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....