Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Non Surgical Treatment of perforated appendix

I went to ER last week due to pain in mid right abdomen. CAT scan revealed perforated appendicitis with abscess. Doctors decided not to remove neither appendix nor abscess (appendix is at the back of bladder). I was on IV antibiotics and clear liquids for two days and left hospital with two week oral antibiotics (ciprofloxacin and metronidazole) and solid foods. It has been a week and I still feel mild pain on lower right quadrant with some gas, particulary today. I have read a lot of information regarding appendicitis treatment but it all involves removal of the appendix and haven't found any info for a case like mine. My question is: how long do I have to wait for these symptoms to go away or should I seek medical attention? Where can I find information or has someone had similar treatment? My discharge notification states perforated appendicitis as the diagnosis. Comorbid conditions: small bowel obstruction. Complications: wall-off intra abdominal abscess. Procedure: reversal of loop ileostomy (I read this is a surgical procedure but did have none so I am not sure what this means).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 29th, 2009
hi, I'm in the same situation. Don't know what to do. Going to the ER in a couple of days for a second opinion. Thank you
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Hi,
The only difference between you and me is that my doctor had me on IV antibiotics for 7 days and I had the loop ileostomy, it is a drain that drains all the pus & poisons from the abscess. It is a minor procedure that only requires a local anesthetic and takes less than 20 minutes to perform. I had it in for a total of 13 days, just had it removed, 7 days after being discharged. My surgeon informed me that in 90% of perforated appendix cases that non-surgical anti-biotic treatment is all that is needed. In most cases the body's immune system takes care of the appendix and in some cases, if the appendix is damaged bad enough, the body will absorb it. I go in for a CT Scan in 3 months and he will decide at that time if I am in the 10% group that still requires surgery. I am still pissed off that they are not removing it now that the infection is cleaned up. I am in this position because I have a high tolerance for pain. All I felt was a minor abdominal pain. Now every time I feel a minor pain in my belly I am going to go to the emergency, just what our health care system needs. Hell I was bowling hours before I went to the hospital.
|

replied November 12th, 2013
Same issue
Went in for perforated appendix in May this year and surgeon treated it with antibiotics. In September I was re-admitted to hospital with pelvic abcess due to appendix - I requested a new surgeon who has scheduled surgical removal of my appendix. I would ask for a second opinion - but it seems that this practice of non-surgical treatment is not safe - it put me back in the hospital for 5 days and sent home with a pic-line for 2 weeks. I feel that it could have been prevented if my appendix was removed the first time in the hospital.
|
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...