Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Food sensitivies and reactions fo additives and preservative

Going to see an Allergist next week. I have just started having serious reactions to additives/preservatives. What should I expect? I don't need to be tested for foods per se; but it's the additives that do me in.

Even if I find out which additives that I cannot tolerate, what really can be done about it except try not to eat them.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper untmom2003
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2008
Experienced User
I've read some interesting positions about food additives:

1. Food additives do not cause allergic reactions bc/ the reactions are non IgE-mediated. Instead, food intolerance to additives is the preferred diagnostic.

2. Yes, you must eliminate additives and preservatives from your diet to treat this form of food allergy.

3. Skin prick test and blood (RAST) tests are unhelpful in diagnosing these reactions.

4. Like all food intolerances, the only way to diagnose adverse reactions to food additive is to perform an Elimination Diet followed by Double-blind Placebo-controlled Food Challenges

How will your doctor diagnose you?
|

replied February 12th, 2009
preservative allergies--
my dr did food allergy tests and when they came back normal, said it had to be preservatives. Also said FDA doesn't really let them "test" for them specifically. I have just had a bad reaction to sodium Benzoate and sodium metabisulfate that was in a bottled lime juice-grrrr. Be careful. My best advice is to avoid ALL preservatives. FDA has a good list that I download to sd card for my smartphone so I can look them up to see if it's a preservative, levening agent, etc... Best of luck!
|

replied May 1st, 2012
Experienced User
In those with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), food sensitivities are common and may be provoked by a variety of chemical substances natural and artificial e.g. salicylates, which occur in many different foods. Reactions are dose related, may be delayed by hours, or even days and can include impaired memory and concentration, mental agitation or depression.

Once a food or food additive is suspected, allergy testing (using skin testing or RAST) may be possible to certain natural substances such as annatto, carmine, and saffron. Know the Common Reactions to Food Additives and Preservatives at ALCAT.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Coping with Preservative Allergies or Allergy
Angioedema is a common reaction to preservative allergy. That's swelling or hives on the inside. You may feel flushed, break out in hives or just one hive, have throat swelling.

If you are sensitive to preservatives, or suspect that you are, carry Benedryl to stop a reaction then see a doctor. If, after blood tests to see if you are allergic to any foods, the results are negative, you are allergic to preservatives. There are no tests to determine which ones so you must keep a food diary and note any reactions to foods you eat. Eliminate any foods with obvious ingredients such as MSG or Sulfites. Unfortunately, many foods still do contain MSG and are labeled "natural flavorings". This is where a food diary becomes necessary. If you eat something that you think is safe and you react, at least you know what it was and can avoid it later.

This allergy is absolutely no fun. I've had it a year and a half. My only suggestion is to read, read, read about it. One good thing is that it forces you to eat healthy. I've lost about 25 lbs so far (which is fine because I needed to!!). It will take some time to find your safe foods and at first it may seem like you can't eat anything but, rest assured, they are there. Smile
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....