Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

alternatives to medication - accupuncture or holistics

Shocked
After reading through all these forums regarding meds, I wanted to see if anyone with Bipoar, who has tried several unsuccessful medicines has even not be able to take medicine?

If so are there any alternatives?? Acupuncture? Holistics?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I know one thing that has proven helpful is light therapy. Light boxes (like the ones used for Seasonal affective disorder) can be used daily to help reduce depressive episodes (regardless of the season), I'm not sure if they have an effect on manias though.

If you google light therapy and bipolar disorder you'll find more info
|

Light therapy
I have not heard anything about light therapy, but it makes sense totally! I will have to look into it. I havent had any issues with mania lately...just more depressive BOOMS. I'll take some light therapy-- that doesnt make me tan does it?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
lol, make sure you buy a light that has uv filters.

They can be kind've expensive ($200-250) but I know people who have said that it helps (with bpd) so in my opinion, it's worth a shot.

I think I found that it should have at least 10,000 lux and uv filters, but I'm not sure. I'm sure you can find more info elsewhere online.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...