Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

help for wife with bulemia and taking laxatives

I dont know what to do. My wife is the love of my life. I am afraid of losing her early in life. But I am not sure if I can do anything or what to do . She is 37 years old and been practicing belimic since 13 she has told me. Now for the last year she is also taking these laxatives like candy. I notice she also eats instead of or when she feels emtions she dont like or something like that I dont reallly understand it. The reason I have not looked for some guidance before now is she had a drug problem and now she has been sober for almost 3 years I am soo proud of her for that and our kids but these ED are worrying me sick. I am sso afraid of losing her I dont say anything for weeks and then I just try to tell her she needs to get help but she doesnt. I dont know can I do anything? What should I do if anything. I just love her soo much.

Thankyou in advance for any guidance yall can help me with.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Experienced User
Maybe you could take her to a good doctor to get treatment. Maybe you can inform her of the risks that come with taking laxatives and eating disorders. She has to want to change. Maybe you could get her a gym membership or can she work out at home? Maybe she could exercise hard and stop going down that path. She can take vitamins for a metabolism boost and they also work as a laxative, and they are much healthier.
|

replied July 29th, 2009
hi ive been taking laxatives as a way of losing weight for 6 years i have started to see a therapist now,but still struggling and lting to myself and my boyfriend,he thinks i cut down on taking them but im a very good lyer!! im starting to feel laxatives arnt enough for me as all they do is maintain my weight x
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
hi im so sorry to hear that your wife is having issues. i know this must effect you in such a horrible way. i saw this thread and felt that i could help out maybe because i suffered from eating disorder issues in the past. i have been in recovery for about six years now and have been able to keep a healthy happy weight (110 and im 5'6"). before recovery though, i needed to be admitted to the hospital twice for refeeding and then i had a three month stay at a treatment facility. these things helped me so much, but they wouldnt have helped me at all had i not been ready to accept them myself. your wife is the one that has to decide that she wants to learn healthy alternatives to the ways that she deals with the stress in her life right now. you cannot decide that for her, and unfortunately the more you bring it up, probably will only make it worse. what you can do for her now that will be the best is supply her with the opportunity to recieve therapy or help (group sessions are particularly helpful in my opinion) and reassure her of your love for her. keep an eye out for her but dont seem overbearing. also, dont take any of her actions personally. i know that its hard to deal with but none of this behaviour is meant to stress you out most likely. i wish the best for you and your wife!
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....