Does anyone bite their nails in here? I am almost 21 and I have been biting my nails FOREVER. My mom used to bite hers until she was 46. She is 56 now, and I just don't know how to stop biting them. Certain websites say you have to see psychologists to determine why the biting started...I hope that's not true...I don't wanna see one, I just want to quit. I try using the gross nail polish stuff...but it doesn't work. I bite them anyway. I just can't stop...nothing works.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
My daughter bit her nails too, but of course it's easier for kids to break a habit than it is for adult that have been doing something for many years. The main problem is that many times we do something like this, we aren't even awake we are doing it.

There are a lot of gimmicks out there that have fancy formulas, but really there is a very simple and inexpensive product called THUM that has cayenne in it. You can get it at a drugstore or even walmart (you may have to ask for it at the pharmacy.) It is safe for kids and adults and helps both! You bush it on just like nail polish.....just make sure you never get it in your eyes, because even after it has dried on your nails, it can sting your eyes.

Remember it takes an average of a month to break a habit, so give yourself some time. As long as you remember to keep putting on the THUMs product, I'm sure you will remember that you are biting your nails when your mouth starts to burn Wink
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i use to bite my nails CONSTANTLY

i still do sometimes, but only when i have a rough nail that gets caught on things

what got me to stop was when i realized just how many germs are under your nails, and then it helped knowing that my nails would grow longer faster and be more healthy if i stopped biting them and started caring for them
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you male or female??

I am 33 years old and have bitten my nails forever! Seriously, since i was about five years old. the only way I stop is when I have fake nails on. I only get fake nails when I bite them so low, they start to hurt. Nails are expensive but it really helps. It has helped me stop on a few occasions. When they get long enough, I would get them taken off and have a manicure.

If you are a male, I have not a clue.

Mominashoe has a wonderful suggestion. I have been wanting to try that one has well. I know other people have stopped when they researched how many germs were under a persons nails. That didn't help me because half the time I didn't realize what the heck I was doing.
|

i agree with ladylee. if your female, its deffinetly worth the 30 or so bucks to get fake nails on. i had them on for like a month and i dont bite my nails anymore.
|

Experienced User
Yeah, I'm a female. I know there are tons of germs under my nails..but I just don't care haha. I usually bite them when I'm nervous or bored. I bite them in class sometimes, like if we have a speaker or something haha. I also bite them during suspenseful tv shows or movies. I had thought about fake nails but my mom always said they ruin your nails...but I dk. and Also..I always wonder what I would look like with long nails...you know what I mean? lol biting my nails has been a part of who I am for the past 20 years...it might be weird to stop...but I want to.
|

replied July 4th, 2011
absent minded nail biting
I seem to bite my nails when my hands aren't busy doing something. I notice that I bite my nails when I watch movies or start reading a book for a while. I don't bite them when I'm nervous or when I'm stressed. But rather when I don't pay attention to what my body's doing only focusing on what I'm thinking about or working on in my head, I somehow end up biting them.
And the really weird thing is that I've "quit" before for about a year (or at least longer than the 2 week period I've been told that it takes to break a habit). So I will occasionally go through periods where I do or don't bite them. I am a 23 year old female and have been biting my nails for as long as anyone can remember. Not even bleeding or biting them very very far down has seem to be successful from stopping me.
Idon't have the option of getting fake nails (my boss won't allow it because of my job). Any suggestions? I've even tried painting my nails with clear coats of nail polish but that doesn't seem to stop me from picking at them or from eventually biting them anyways. I've read up a little bit about hypnotism and I am not entirely comfortable with taking that option so I was hoping if anyone else had any ideas. Thank you so much in advance!
|

replied February 15th, 2014
I too know there are many germs and wonder if that's why every year I seem to get a bout of the stomach flu, but still, I don't quit. Fake nails helped as did even manicures but you have to go every 2 weeks without fail and it's a pain and gets expensive.

I have heard it's a type of OCD-sort of grooming gone wild, and have also wondered if there is a component like people who are cutters--there is pain and regret after but there is also a sense of calm or well-being. It does something in the brain with your dopamine
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...