Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Therapeutic Essential Oils For Headaches

I have used 100% pure, therapeutic essential oils for over 4 years for all kinds of headaches and they are the only thing that works 100% of the time for me. I have found that the best essential oils are french lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus. There are several ways to use these oils - the easiest is inhalation - you can inhale from the bottle, mix with a lotion or oil and massage your temples or around the sinus areas, inhale from a tissue, use in a warm bath (some people, especially if they have a migraine, find that heat only makes it worse), warm or cold compresses. To make a headache compress: add 5 drops of 100% pure therapeutic lavender oil to 1 cup cold water and swish a soft cloth in the solution. Wring out the cloth and place it over your forehead and eyes as often as you like. If it feels better, use hot water instead of the cold or alternate cold and hot water. If your headache is prompted by muscle or emotional stress, it often helps to place a second hot compress under your neck. If you have a migraine headache, you probbly prefer a cold compress. Although it may be that the smell of any essential oil and the slight pressure of the compress is bothersome. If you don't have time for a compress or it feels too uncomfortable, dab a small dot of lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, or peppermint on on each temple instead. Other therapeutic essential oils that may be helpful is basil, roman chamomile, lemongrass, and marjoram.

For sinus headaches - I use eucalyputs, lavender, tea tree, lemon, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, basil or peppermint (or a combination of 2 or 3) - these also inhibit cold viruses. Use an aromatherapy steam to carry the therapeutic oils into your sinuses where it can kill any infection and/or inflammation. Here is how you use steam: put 5 drops eucalyptus oil or any others listed above in 3 cups simmering water. Turn off the heat, place your face over the steam, and drape a towel over the back of your head to collect the steam in a mini-sauna. Take deep breaths through your nose, coming out for fresh air as neded at about 2 minute intervals. Repeat this for at least three miutes. It possible, do this routine a few times a day. As an alternative: you can take a hot, steamy bath that has 3 drops each ecualyptus and lavender oils and 2 drops ginger oil. For a nasal inhaler: combine 5 drops eucalputs (or any of the other oils) in a 1/4 tsp of coarse salt in a small glass vial that has a thight lid (salt absorbs the oil and is convenient to carry without danger of spilling it) throughtout the day, open the vial and inhale the scent. Therapetuc essential oils are wonderful!! :d

i would be interested in how other people use therapeutic essential oils
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
Essential Oils for Headache Relief
I agree fully about EO's helping with headaches. One day I had a headache for 2 full days. I took several advils over the course of the 2 days, on the 3rd day when I woke and still have the headache I was so upset, nothing was working. I finally took French Lavender and rubbed it on my temples - in 20 minutes my headache was gone and did not return. I will not run to an advil bottle again but rather an essential oil.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....