At what age- do you think it's too old to have a baby? Has anyone on here ever gotten a test tube baby-- if you aren't dating anyone, or if you never gotten married- to decide to have a baby on your own?

Just curious!

Yettie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
IMO you never know because there are exceptions but I would say 43-45
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I don't know. I think anywhere over 50 is really pushing it. I mean even if you did have a successful pregnancy, can you imagine keeping up with a toddler running around and being 70 at his graduation? I think any mom would want to provide everything she could for the child and not die before he's old enough to leave home.
|

Well, I love my mom and all, but she was pregnant with me at the age of 38, I'm now 17 and about to have a baby of my own. But when I was growing up, My mom was always tired, and started to get artheritus (spelling) So I think it's better to be younger to have a baby (I don't approve of my age, but, Like in your 20's to early 30's)
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think 45 should be the last year. Anything after that is really pushing it, like mominashoe stated. I also think 25 is the perfect age to start. Schools done, life starts to get 'boring' so why not start a family? Although I'm 18, I think it evens out because my fiancee is 32. Plus he has a 9yr old, so I didn't want too much of an age gap there...
|

Extremely eHealthy
after 45 i think is to old. My aunt had her 9th kid at 41 AND her first grandchild within 3 weeks of her youngest being born... I do think she was a bit old but she still has all the energy with a 4 year old as she did 13 years ago when her oldest girl was born (her oldest son will be 28 or 29 and youngest will be 5 in sept)

i think 21-28 is a great age to have kids. your body is best ready for it and you are finishing/finished with school
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I agree with the 45 age that a woman should consider to stop having or decide to have a baby. I'm 25 years old & I feel likes its a good age, I wanted to wait for my son until I was 30 but now that he is here I'm glad he came sooner. I'm so tired now, could imagine at 30... let alone even older. I have just enough energy for his demands! =D
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't want to have kids after 40. I would rather start having kids between the ages of 25-28 (starting). I don't want to be old and too tired to play with my kids.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
i thhink it depends on you life situation on when to start.. no sooner than20 no later thanyiour mid 40s im 21 ill be 22 in may my husband will be 27 in may and we have a 2 week old daughter...
|

replied February 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think it is a very individual thing. Everyone is so different in terms of health, financial stability, career, family around to be supportive, etc., etc. So I guess I don't think there is an actual age limit, but there is a health (and all of the other stuff I just wrote) limit.
|
Users who thank Verizon-y for this post: SwizzleStick 

replied February 25th, 2008
futureshock wrote:
I think it is a very individual thing. Everyone is so different in terms of health, financial stability, career, family around to be supportive, etc., etc. So I guess I don't think there is an actual age limit, but there is a health (and all of the other stuff I just wrote) limit.

I ask because I am 28, have had 2 wacked out ex's.. and about to can number #3 due to his nonactive lifestyle! I swear- I hear a clock ticking away, and my older sister had a baby when she was 27 and I'll be 28 this wednesday! Am I going through a mid-life crisis? LOL I look around to all maried off friends/family-- and everyone seems to be having babies left and right around me. I adore my nephew, and since he has just been diagnosed with mild autism, I want to have a child too- not only because of his condition, but I want to bring a life into this world one day. I would also want my sister's son to have the option of having someone "there" for him when my sister and I are gone. Maybe I look way too forwards sometimes... I know I need to finish college 1st, and have everything ready so the child can have a great life with lots of options. I just keep hearing that darn clock lol

Yettie
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yettie, I don't blame you for worrying. You are absolutely right to be doing what you can in order to make this happen. I misinterpreted your question, so I am glad you clarified it in this last post.

Your real question, I think, is more along the lines of, how long are most women fertile? How old is too old meaning, when can you no longer get pregnant, that's what you are really asking, right?

I waited until my mid 30's to have children, and it was simply because I was not in a relationship with a stable enough man until then. I would have had them earlier if
I had married my husband or a man like him earlier, and if my finances were in order.

My husband is almost a decade older than I, but even so we had absolutely no problem getting pregnant immediately. I hope this helps. Smile
|

futureshock wrote:
Yettie, I don't blame you for worrying. You are absolutely right to be doing what you can in order to make this happen. I misinterpreted your question, so I am glad you clarified it in this last post.

Your real question, I think, is more along the lines of, how long are most women fertile? How old is too old meaning, when can you no longer get pregnant, that's what you are really asking, right?

I waited until my mid 30's to have children, and it was simply because I was not in a relationship with a stable enough man until then. I would have had them earlier if
I had married my husband or a man like him earlier, and if my finances were in order.

My husband is almost a decade older than I, but even so we had absolutely no problem getting pregnant immediately. I hope this helps. Smile

Smile Thank you for your reply- I tend to type one thing and mean another thing in my head at times! That does bring some relief to me, since I am going to be older when I have a child.

Thanks!
Yettie Wink
|

Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome. Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
IMO 38...after that the risks are just too high
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Supporter
When your body says no. Personally i find it a bit wierd after 4 because when my mum was 40 she was becoming a grandmother for the first time and there were people on the ward with my sister who weremy mums age who had just had their first baby
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Personally, I don't want to be having children after the age of say 32. Most people are having kids at this age but rheumatoid arthritis runs in my family. I have a high likelihood of having this and know that it usually starts hitting our family in the mid thirties and fourties quite badly. My mom is 51 now and doesn't really have the strength to have my four month old over to take care of her. This just breaks my heart because she wants to experience all the things that a grandmother should. I'm trying to have my children as soon as I can so she can enjoy them as much as she can.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
Am I too old too be a dad?
Hello, I am a 40 year old man, with a wife of 33 years of age. We currently have a 14 year old son, and a 9 year old daughter. Would it be stupid, or crazy to plan on having a 3rd child. My wife and myself both love children, but should we try to have another, with the other children so far ahead? I know my wife isn't too old, but I feel that I am a little on the middle aged side. After all, I would be 61 or so, by the time the child reaches 20. Please give me some advice. I would love to have another little one in my arms and in my home once again! I, and my wife, are in pretty good health, and I haven't even brought this up to my wife yet. I don't know how she would even react? All I know is, I would love to have another child to raise, and I don't know if I should or not?
|
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....