Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Do Anti-inflammatory Drugs Help?

Though i'm still waiting for a diagnosis for what it is that ails me, i'm thinking it's lupus. And what i'm wondering is if anti-inflammatory durgs (like advil or motrin) help you when you flare up? I seem to be going through a flare right now. And when I take advil or motrin 600 mg, I feel better. It seems to take a lot of the fog head away, the weak body feels a bit stronger and I feel like I can do what I need to do rather than feeling like I just need to lie down. In other words, it seems to make things tolerable. Does this happen to anyone else or is it all in my mind? I do worry about taking too much of these anti-inflammatory drugs especially as i've got blood in my urine.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 5th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes, I do think they work. Have you spoken to your doctor about how much you are taking though...Because a lot of otc meds can interact with other meds. There may be something prescribed that may be even better at a lower dose and have less interaction with other meds...And may be better for your tummy, etc. Ask your doctor about it.

As for me...Yep, I take anti-inflammatories. Could *not* make it through the day without them...

Hugs! Smile
ladybrannon
|

replied May 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi Ladybrannon
I have not spoken to anyone about the anti-inflammatory drugs i'm taking. I keep waiting for my referral to the rheumatologist and talking to him/her about it. I got results back on my kidney ct scan. They were normal. I knew I had no stones. If I were bleeding from stones, I think i'd feel that.

I had to lay off the advil today as my ears were ringing and I felt like I couldn't hear as well out of one ear yesterday. I'm pretty sure that's a side effect of taking those drugs. Thing is i'm not even taking that much. So today, I had to bear with the fog head and other symptoms.

If I don't hear about a referral tomorrow, i'm going to my gp and ask her to please just write one as my neurologist is pretty much done with me. He says for me to take an aspirin just in case the spots on my brain mri are mini strokes.

My gosh, how many doctors does a person have to see before he or she can get a diagnosis? I've seen 4 neurologists, 1 urologist, 1 cardiologist, and a general practitioner. I'm beginning to feel like it's not in my future to get any relief from this disease that it's just going to be the end of me. Well, i'm not afraid to die, I believe that there's a better place waiting for us, but i'd really like to be around a bit longer.
|

replied May 6th, 2004
Yeah, I think I would check with a Dr. I think I have heard that ear ringing can be a possible side effect. Confused

How many doctors? (that almost sounds like a really bad joke). It took me well over 10. Hang in there...It will work out. I'm not going to lie to you...It takes time...Whether you have lupus or not. I did have lupus...It took me 7 years (19 to 26) to get a diagnosis! Sad

as for bleeding from stones without pain...It can be done. I'm doing it now! Lol! How weird is that! Small world, huh? Apparently on top of all my lupus stuff, I have 6 stones...One of which is not passable, but I have not had any stone pain since the end of february!

Hugs!!!!
Ladybrannon
|

replied May 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Blood Pressure
My blood pressure has been kind of high lately, 155/90 sometimes a little higher sometimes a little lower. I've not been hypertensive so i'm not on medication for this. Now it's friday and I have the weekend to get through. Anyone know of a natural herb or something I can get from the healthfood store that will lower it until I can get to the doctor? I called the nurse on call and she said it's really not urgently high yet. So, i'm to monitor it and then follow up with the doctor during regular hours.
|

replied May 11th, 2004
My blood pressure varies greatly...From low to very high. To get mine down, I take naps and baths. Basically, I make sure I am relaxed.

Not very helpful...But it works for me! Smile
hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Experienced User
That Was About All I Could Do
Was just set my mind on relaxing. I tried the one where you lie down and tense an arm, then relax, then do the other arm, then relax it. The tense your leg, then relax, tense the other leg, then relax and so on. That really helps you to relax too. My bathtub is worthless. Too shallow to really get a good soak. I wish I had one of those big tubs, or the old fashioned claw foot kind.
|

replied May 18th, 2004
Do you have joint pain? I know my doctor recommended a hot tub...And was it ever helpful and fantastic!

Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied May 18th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi Ladybrannon
No, I don't have joint pain, and I think that's probably what keeps me from having a sure diagnosis of lupus. No pain, usually. Unless you count the pain in my eye or the slight pain alternating with numbness in my left hand. Sometimes, i'll get pain in my hips, neck, or lower back. It usually doesn't last longer than a couple of weeks. The longest pain I ever had was in my knee. Think I already mentioned that. Interesting thing when I was pregnant with my second child, I had knee pain the entire pregnancy. I thought, well this is what I can look forward to when I age. This must be my weak spot. After the pregnancy, the knee pain went away and didn't come back (except for two years ago before the big flare).
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....