User Profile
I had a tooth ache for awhile but then it went away but now I have this terrible pressure and pain that starts at my right temple and goes all the way down the right side of my head. I can't sleep laying down anymore because of the pain. What is wrong?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008
Headache, Migraines, Sinus Conditions Answer A3732
Given the description of this headache (“…pain that starts at my right temple and goes all the way down the right side of my head…”), you could be experiencing either migraine or a tension headache. Migraines is a primary headaches with unknown cause. Tension headaches are a large group of headaches caused by various reasons.

Tension headaches result from the contraction of neck and scalp muscles. One cause of this muscle contraction is a response to stress, depression or anxiety. Any activity that causes the head to be held in one position for a long time without moving can cause a headache. Such activities include typing or use of computers, work with the hands, and the use of a microscope, for example. Sleeping in a cold room or sleeping with the neck in an abnormal position may also trigger this type of headache. Other causes include eye strain, fatigue, alcohol use, excessive smoking, excessive caffeine use, sinus infection, nasal congestion, overexertion, colds, and influenza. Tension headaches are not associated with structural lesions in the brain.

It is very important that you exclude possible organic brain disorders for this headache such as a brain tumor, infection etc. That can be achieved by performing MRI of the head. You may consult a neurologist about this for follow up and more information.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.