Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

time to get period after Depovera

Hello Ladies,

Im hoping that i may offer some helpful advice for those of you worried about the depov contraceptive injection. I started depov 5 years ago, intially i spotted through out the entire 3 month injection, and well into the second and third injections too. This eventually settles and you get absolutely nothing which is rather refreshing after spotting for 6+ months Very Happy Just hang in there for those of you it is driving crazy, the spotting will stop with time and thats a promise! In the future to start using this injection, visit your doctor at the end of a menstral cycle this may help reduce the spotting.

Secondly i decided to have a break from the injection and go through a menstral cycle- i waited 16 months for my period to return. I too was worried there was something wrong, but believe me they will return with time just be patient- the hormone injected must be completely removed from your system i order for your reproductive system to start up again. This takes time and can even occur in people that have only had 2-3 injections, so if you are looking at having children in the near future i would not suggest this type of contraception.

The depov injection works by preventing the release of your eggs controlled by hormonal triggers in the pituritary gland, hypothalamus and ovaries- it works in the following manner:

The intramuscular injection releases the hormone slowly into your system where it reduces, or stops all together the process of egg release. Gonadotropin-relasing hormone (GRH) acts on the anterior pituitary gland to stimulate the release of follice-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinising hormone(LM) these triggers start the mentral cycle process- this is stopped when using deprovera and is one of the reasons it takes so long for a period to return after prolonged use.

Women are natural born worriers- Relax ladies everything will be ok and be patient with the injection it is one of those things that requires patients and time to resovle those annoying issues. I hope some of this info helps some of you out there. kind regards Kris.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...